Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like Blu-ray 400mW 405nm Focusable/Waterproof Laser Review (Picture Heavy)

Nope, mine still shines bight and the only time I have charged the battery was last week when I got it in the mail.

Is anyone else having problems with their laser? The first two days it worked great. Very bright and visible, but I put it down for a couple hours and when I turned it back on the dot wasn't bright at all. I charged the battery completely, and it still isn't getting as bright or as powerful as it was orginally.

With my Ultrafire protected it is still bright and working great. I charged it once (I've heard it may take a couple charges and discharges before it is at full working capacity) when I first got it and it is still going strong 6 days later.
I would keep testing it, maybe with other batteries, but if it still doesn't work then send Susie (O-like) a message. They should be able to replace it.

Last edited:
Cheers :san: I'm particularly pleased with that one [got it as my wallpaper now lol].. look forward to seeing your 445 beast.

That may take me a little longer than I thought. There is something wrong with it; check out the video in post #11 in the thread I made about it. I will be sending it to DTR to see if he can fix it.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/1-4w-laser-not-1-4w-60142.html#post850940
I already have pics of the host: mohrenberg's guidesman. I will have a link to my thread about the laser (when it works) in my signature. You can see pics of just the host by using the links in my signature now.

okay thanks ill try to keep charging and see what happens. I've been using the battery that came with it from o-like. I contacted them too. What's the advantage to getting an Ultrafire battery?

My buddy has a 1Watt 445nm Waterproof Rayfoss (propably 800mW true power). The Bluray simply burns faster when it gets to Matches and plastics.

The Rayfoss has brute power for thicker plastics and longer distance.

That may take me a little longer than I thought. There is something wrong with it; check out the video in post #11 in the thread I made about it. I will be sending it to DTR to see if he can fix it.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/1-4w-laser-not-1-4w-60142.html#post850940
I already have pics of the host: mohrenberg's guidesman. I will have a link to my thread about the laser (when it works) in my signature. You can see pics of just the host by using the links in my signature now.

Hmm I'm no expert but that looks to me like when any of my lasers are low on power. it's like it's getting full power then refusing full power.. if you know what I mean :thinking: I'd try what DTR suggested and connect it up without the host as a test.. hopefully he'll be able to fix it for you. and that blue/indigo issue, there's a thread about that here.

That host is nice btw, side clicky too. got myself a maglite copy host yesterday which I may or may not use.. been looking on focalprice at all the cool hosts they have.

okay thanks ill try to keep charging and see what happens. I've been using the battery that came with it from o-like. I contacted them too. What's the advantage to getting an Ultrafire battery?

Well, it isn't very expensive. But it lasts longer than the one that came with it (for me). It isn't a bad idea to keep a few extra around so might as well pick up some. And, the main reason, they are protected. They won't overcharge or over-discharge. That helps the battery last longer and there is a much lower chance that the battery will explode during charging. Also, it is slightly longer than the one O-like sent me so it fits in the laser and doesn't rattle around. It really doesn't matter if they are Ultrafire brand, as long as they are protected.

Arshus

My O-like 405nm is an absolute beast. Peak at about 562mW, and stable around that output, it climbs higher but I don't like running it for more than 2 min. I'll post a full review a bit later. I also got the UF 2800mAh protected cells.

-Sal

My O-like 405nm is an absolute beast. Peak at about 562mW, and stable around that output, it climbs higher but I don't like running it for more than 2 min. I'll post a full review a bit later. I also got the UF 2800mAh protected cells.

-Sal

Dang, whats the current that it is pulling from the battery?
And Susie told me the duty cycle for the <400mW one was 1 min on 30 sec off. I wouldn't run it for 2 min, especially at that power.

Arshus

About 4v atm. Your absolutely right about the duty cyle. Although it seems to be able to handle 2min duty cycles (only done for initial testing purposes), to preserve the life of the diode I will be running it no more than 60/30.

-Sal

About 4v atm. Your absolutely right about the duty cyle. Although it seems to be able to handle 2min duty cycles (only done for initial testing purposes), to preserve the life of the diode I will be running it no more than 60/30.

-Sal

When I asked about the current, I meant like how many mA is it drawing? Isn't 4v a little high considering its supposed to run off a 3.7v or 3.6v battery?

Arshus

Most rechargeable 18650's (including the ones o-like gave us) start out at about 4.2v fresh of the charger. After a bit, they level off to ~3.7 for the majority of their life, and thats why they're rated at 3.7v. They continue to decrease in voltage output as the battery discharges, until its empty @ ~2.7v. The driver these lasers use are safe to about 5.5v, if i'm not mistaken.

How would I found out how much how much mA is being drawn?

-Sal

Most rechargeable 18650's (including the ones o-like gave us) start out at about 4.2v fresh of the charger. After a bit, they level off to ~3.7 for the majority of their life, and thats why they're rated at 3.7v. They continue to decrease in voltage output as the battery discharges, until its empty @ ~2.7v. The driver these lasers use are safe to about 5.5v, if i'm not mistaken.

How would I found out how much how much mA is being drawn?

-Sal

Use a digital multimeter. Set it up as I have in the picture:

P1000697.jpg

Then touch the black negative wire (COM socket) to the threads inside the host body. Touch the red positive wire to the battery terminal. The laser WILL turn on when you do this. You can do this for other lasers as well. If they have a side clicky switch you will have to click it on before this will work. If it is a rear clicky, then it doesn't matter because it will be off to the side. If you need me to upload a picture of the wires and where they contact, I can upload one. :beer:

Arshus

@david1235102: Its drawing around 3.0-3.3, though it fluctutates alot at first from 2.6-3.38. What does that number mean though?