Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-Like Anti Red Goggles Review - DO NOT BUY

^^^I don't have that many high power red lasers, so I don't have any other goggles to use for testing these.

I don't doubt that they are better than nothing... but IMHO not by much.

If/when I do get better goggles for 650nm I'll test these out.

I do have 5 different types of goggles for 405/445/532nm that vary greatly in quality. From testing and watching lasers through those I'd like to think I have some understanding of recognizing good goggles vs bad.

These are BAD imo.

Last edited:

I actually have a pair of these goggles, and I did a test on my LPM with a 250mW LPC-815 through these goggles (moving the goggles so that they don't burn/melt), and I wasn't getting a reading on my LPM. These are at least OD2.4+ because they aren't letting 250mW through. My dot is very dim, but because our eyes sense light by an inverse square law, 1mW is going to look half the brightness of 4mW instead of 2mW. A small reduction in brightness is a large reduction in power output.

Regarding the blue/green glasses... I have a pair from Rayfoss, which, while it may not be the same, I can probably say they are similar, and mine will knock out 550mW of 445 and 600mW of 405, so these are probably at least OD2.5+.

And just so everyone is aware... OD3 is generally all you need for anything under 1W, even OD2.5 is alright for most high-powered lasers. OD4, besides for ridiculously powerful lasers (like we are talking multi-watt IR bars), is generally unnecessary.

As long as the dot is reduced to below 1mW, you should be fine for burning, and even a temporary direct hit. Assuming you aren't burning from an inch away, that is.

EDIT: And while I can say for certain that these CANNOT maintain 10 seconds of a direct hit in a single spot, who would let that happen to them anyway? These are easily enough protection from chance reflections.

I've been tested several times this T-REX laser red goggles from O-Like, and with this power (155mW, at 660nm),
and with my LPM 2.5 USB passes through 6mW, which roughly corresponds to a OD1.4.

This is the power that I obtain from many test, and sincerely I believe they are correct, at least for the goggles that I have.

The goggles from O-Like are not designed officially to withstand the direct impact of a laser for 10 seconds,
as I put before, officially the 10 seconds, is for the certified goggles EN207/208, (obviously these O-Like goggles don't have any certification)
and is for answer this question from "ChukiDori" (I thought no goggle was designed to have a beam sustained on it?)

Yes, the same goggles model.

Well, I've tried about 4 times and always gives the same result +/-

155mW +/- without the goggles, and 6mW +/- putting the goggles in front of the sensor.

Mystery then :D

Edit: If tomorrow I have time I will make a video so you can see, now it's too late here.

Last edited:

Benm

And while I can say for certain that these CANNOT maintain 10 seconds of a direct hit in a single spot, who would let that happen to them anyway? These are easily enough protection from chance reflections.

Normally the plastic would either melt or char, depending on power density a bit.

If they are really bad quality the dye that blocks the light could bleach out, essentially leaving a transparant spot that offers no protection at all. This would be more likely with blue or green lasers though.

Yes, it is a mystery!

Not really.

It's only a lack of quality control.

The goggles are plastic with dye mixed in. I suspect the reason for such great variation is that the amount of dye is not uniform, so in some cases you get goggles with great protection, in others you get absolute crap.

Given such degree of variation, I think OP is 100% correct in the DO NOT BUY recommendation.

Last edited:
Personally I only trust my eyes to certified goggles.

It doesnt make sense to spend hundreds, even thousands on high power lasers, and then cheese out on protecting your eyes.

Personally tested goggles aren't as good as proper certified goggles. The certification is more than "it has the right OD", it's a long list of properties that are gauranteed. Unless you know each pair of goggles is made according to the same strict standard then damage testing won't be usefull, which is an important aspect. With one pair of goggles damage testing isn't even possible.

Of course not, but better than taking on faith that some chinese cheapo goggles do actually offer protection.

How can you knock chinese goggles. If the goggles are poor, then the state will have to pay for their eye surgery. This is a loose loose situation for China.

Or perhaps its a conspiracy. If they send all the ones that fail the quality control tests to america, then eventually no more photonics experts will have eye balls, then china can rule the world with laser weapons no one else can develop

:tinfoil:

Last edited:
How can you knock chinese goggles. If the goggles are poor, then the state will have to pay for their eye surgery. This is a loose loose situation for China.

Or perhaps its a conspiracy. If they send all the ones that fail the quality control tests to america, then eventually no more photonics experts will have eye balls, then china can rule the world with laser weapons no one else can develop

:tinfoil:

Brilliant plan of chinese world domination:crackup:

As promised yesterday, here are the video made ​​today, with the test of these T-REX goggles for red laser.

Sorry if the quality is not very good.

Enjoy.

^ With a 3-4mm beam diameter as I make the test, do not melt, but if you focus on a small point +/- 1mm,
yes it melts the plastic, and imagine that they are only 155mW, this are really crappy goggles, mine for at least.