Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like 150mW Pocket Green - $100

You might have a bad battery now. You did let it discharge to low. Try a primary battery out, see how that works.

Also, the heat sinking on that laser is very good. To get the module out you have to unscrew it from the host.

Grix

I did try out several batteries, and tested the voltage on each of them. They are fine. Also, there are no threading to unscrew the module on this laser.

The only other thing that I can tell you is that the switches on these lasers are crap. Make sure all of your contacts are good.

Benm

I just left it on for about 3 minutes straight. I think it dimmed a tiny bit, but it wasn't even warm to touch. The dilda heats up a lot faster than this thing. I just wish I could open it up to inspect the heatsink.

That's strange.. this pump in this laser (if its actually 100 mW) should dissipate a whole lot more than the red diode in the dilda. I have similar looking greens (50 mW) that do warm up noticably within a few minutes.

If the outside doesnt get warm, that means that its either (way) below spec, or there is poor thermal contact between the laser module and the casing - in which case the module will prob overheat after a few more minutes and dim or even get damaged.

Grix

I returned this to Susie and am awaiting a replacement, will let you guys know if it heats up faster than the original, maybe the first one was defect in that way.

i have the same laser but the 50mw version.. i use a 3.6V battery and it works fine. not much of a difference with a 3.0V

Benm

It must have been well under powered then... these things are quite heavy so they might take some time to warm up, but even the 50 mW versions are noticably warm to the touch after a few minutes.

Its not that they get -hot- or anything, but if you had two of them and ran one for 5 minutes but not the other, you'd easily feel which one is warmer.

Grix...Do you have your replacement yet? If so, how does it compare to your old laser?

i saw this post the other day n took a picture of the inside of my 50mw version i broke.. the whole host is the heatsink

chris003-Copy.jpg

Grix

Grix...Do you have your replacement yet? If so, how does it compare to your old laser?

No, I don't have the replacement yet. Susie has been somewhat slow, she said she would ship on Oct 6th though.

Benm

It should be, but on some similar designs the thermal contact between laser module and housing is so bad they are borderline useless. On the outside they all look pretty much the same, but the internal construction varies wildly, with SXD manufactured units being pretty good.

Grix

Small update: I just recieved the replacement. This one is just as bright as the first one started out, MUCH brighter than a ledshoppe 50, stings the skin and burns easily. I think it's up to spec. I've been more careful than with the last one, so I can't really say if this unit heats up faster than the one that broke.

Grix I would just watch your duty cycle. Leaving it on for 3 min might be a little long

So CR2 batteries are only the rechargable kind? I could have sworn I have seen disposable versions (duracell, etc) at Wally World.

Grix