Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUGM03 1W 525nm Laser Diode

Hello
Looking to PBS cube 2 of these diodes together for a projector. Which lens would you guys recommend? Do they need corrective optics?

thanks

Are you building a projector from scratch or repairing/upgrading an existing projector ?

The NUGM03 comes with it's own integrated lens which you must remove the protective can to get rid of and you will want to get rid of it, that said there is the ndg7475 and ndg7575 which have normal window cans and you can get the nugm03 recapped with a window can and inert gas back fill from ebay........then you will want to match beam specs as well as possible with your other wavelength lasers if your projector will also have for instance red and/or blue..........tell us more about want you want to do and your other lasers beam specs, otherwise I have no idea what lens or correctives you will need.

Also to use a PBS cube you will either need to rotate one laser 90 degrees or use a waveplate, but we are putting the cart before the horse, 1st tell us more about your projector and what beam specs you need to accomplish.

Just an update from my diode I bought almost a year ago. Still pushing hard with gball removed. Settled on a 2 element lens with the popular beam expander here(forgot it's name). I do have a bad habit of changing lenses(I have a lot!) frequently. I suppose its just for the off chance I get better results from a different lens style or coating. Anyway, I'm careful to avoid crap dropping on the emitters facet but still with all the lens changes I haven't yet suffered a (meltdown). I seem to always ruin blue diode windows with baked on dust, I then decan the blues to save them but they never last long. Maybe it's luck but I'm even more convinced the 450ish diodes are backfilled will inert gas. Both may be backfilled but the green semiconductor material seems much more resistant to degradation running decanned that the blues.

LED driver at 2.3A has caused no problems. I've run long duty cycles in the old Rick trent aluminum HS as well. Artic Silver 5 seems to make a big difference compared to the cheap white silicone compound I was using.

kecked

Did anyone measure wavelength on these? Read the thread and someone was to do this but missed the answer. I’d like to see if any are pushing 530. I miss that green. Really 540 is more what I want. That’s green to me. I saw the dpss 545 but diode 543 would be amazing.

Still pushing this decanned diode at 2.3A and it's doing just fine. By far it's the most visible. Blows people's minds when they see it. I love 467-470, love 455s burning power, 405 BDR is very unique at its single mode power and unique interactions with various elements. But this is just a durable beautiful laser. Beam divergence really isn't bad with either the 2E lens or 3E lens. I don't both with the beam expander anymore.

Is there a big diff between the canned 520NM diodes? Color, beam specs? If course I'm familiar with 532 dpss. My strongest was a lab laser tested at 200mw. Was 15yrs ago though and I fixed what wasn't broke once too many times. Lol. Can't beat that dpss beam thou!

Yes all my de-canned nugm03 diodes are still working too while I also have killed many multi watt blues after removing the GBall can.

From my research what I believe is happening is tiny particulate in the air burns onto the facet which causes damage to the protective coating used to keep moisture out, then after cycling on-off many times the moisture drawn into the substrate which is hygroscopic heats up causing fractures.....however this happens mostly in the multi watt blues, I suspect the 1w greens may not be as hygroscopic and/or don't reach the same damage threshold and the red substrate may not be hygroscopic at all as there are so many open reds and IR diodes.......anyway maybe the 1w greens which have an emitter size and divergence apparently similar to the 3w blues just don't reach the same energy density at the point where particulate falls onto the facet and thus avoid damage to the coating.......at any rate they seem to survive although it would be interesting to know how they stand up next to the window can versions used in laser show type projectors that get a lot of regular use.

Yes all my de-canned nugm03 diodes are still working too while I also have killed many multi watt blues after removing the GBall can.

From my research what I believe is happening is tiny particulate in the air burns onto the facet which causes damage to the protective coating used to keep moisture out, then after cycling on-off many times the moisture drawn into the substrate which is hygroscopic heats up causing fractures.....however this happens mostly in the multi watt blues, I suspect the 1w greens may not be as hygroscopic and/or don't reach the same damage threshold and the red substrate may not be hygroscopic at all as there are so many open reds and IR diodes.......anyway maybe the 1w greens which have an emitter size and divergence apparently similar to the 3w blues just don't reach the same energy density at the point where particulate falls onto the facet and thus avoid damage to the coating.......at any rate they seem to survive although it would be interesting to know how they stand up next to the window can versions used in laser show type projectors that get a lot of regular use.
Dead on interpretation Red.

Obviously to obtain green vs Blue different doping element/ elements were added. I do think they are related but differ with doping amounts/ elements.

I like the particle size vs emitter size theory as well.

Always blows my mind how many photons are streaming from that bit of facet. Just incredible!

Actually this is interesting...

Philipnzw

Did anyone measure wavelength on these? Read the thread and someone was to do this but missed the answer. I’d like to see if any are pushing 530. I miss that green. Really 540 is more what I want. That’s green to me. I saw the dpss 545 but diode 543 would be amazing.
I recently did some measurements with a homemade spectrometer. Oddly enough my NUGM03 @1.8A reads 520nm (dead on). I did my best to make sure the spectrometer is calibrated well with a 532nm DPSS laser, and was able to get the accuracy down to around +-2nm. Perhaps it's wavelength can be pushed higher if we over drive the diode with higher currents. But I doubt the wavelength would shift much, maybe 530 is the max.

*Full disclaimer, a DIY spectrometer was used for the wavelength measurements*

kecked

Thanks. I hold hope for a 530nm diode 1W without pushing. After all all the rest of the time it’s not going be 530 if it has to be pushed and so dimmer images would not be the nice yellow and brown I seek That 520 lacks