Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBMO8 for projector

pourya

Hi Everyone

I found this forum today and I thought I was so lucky. Just what I needed.:)
I'm doing a project with a projector which has 4 Laser units. It was so scary but I managed to open it up and found that the units are NUBMO8 from Nichia. I have some questions if any one would be so kind to help.
I think the wavelength of these units are around 460 nm, what I need to do is to replace them with LDs with higher wavelength for some experiments and then again replace them with lower wavelength LDs. So Is it possible? What exactly should I order from Nichia if I want to replace the LDs? I mean what specification should I look for?

BobMc

Welcome to the forum pourya. Here's a web site that might help you out with the diodes.

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes

You might want to go to the welcome section and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself. Welcome and be safe. :)

Your going to need different drivers. You might want to check them out also?

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Encap

Might be possible but not for less than several thousands of dollars a lot of hours of work.

Maybe could be replaced with 900mW or1W Nichia 520nm NUGM01 or NUGM02 green diodes at $99 to $129 each X 8 X 4 that is $3200 to $4128 just for 520nm diodes alone see: DTRs web site for available diodes here: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes same as BobMc has indicated

Those diodes 08 come in banks of 8 and a not cheap --the individual diodes are not easy to remove without damage of one kind or another see: New Nichia NUBM08 38W 455nm 450-460nm Blue Laser Diode LD Bank | eBay

Maybe someone who has taken them apart to harvest the diodes can give you a better guidance on that.

What is it you want to accomplish? Why does whatever that is need 4 banks of 8 diodes?

Last edited:

pourya

Thanks for your reply, actually what I want to do is to show pictures with different wavelengths by the projector. I just needed to replace the diodes without making a lot of changes to the whole projector, therefore I should use the built-in driver ,and also use 4 LD banks like what the projector has. So I should find the best candidate. I just wanted to know what specifications should I look for. For example if I needed 4 LD banks with 405nm wavelength.

BobMc

Thanks for your reply, actually what I want to do is to show pictures with different wavelengths by the projector. I just needed to replace the diodes without making a lot of changes to the whole projector, therefore I should use the built-in driver ,and also use 4 LD banks like what the projector has. So I should find the best candidate. I just wanted to know what specifications should I look for. For example if I needed 4 LD banks with 405nm wavelength.

If your not planning on changing the drivers. Just make sure you don't overdrive the diodes. Example; the 405's take a lot less than the 08's can, they will blow. There are a few that can handle what the 08 can, but you need to match. :)

Last edited:

Encap

You might look into if the 1W green banks are compatible --they run about $900 each. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICHIA-520nm-8W-High-Power-Laser-Bank-Green-Laser-Diode-Array-Brand-New-/262010189608

There are no 405nm banks because they would be useless in a projector due to low brightness and difficulty of focusing eyes on a 405nm source. So you would have to make the banks yourself and find correct drivers, lenses, and somehow make them work in your projector.
Way easier to use a 405nm light source in a slide projector if you want a purple projected picture than to rebuild a video projector.
405nm is much less visible than 445-460nm ---only 7 to 10% a bright to human vision as 445nm to 460nm at the same output power Watt- wise and is hard on the eyes/vision because of the wavelength to begin with.
In other words it would take 10W of 405nm to equal 1W of 445nm in brightness--so you would need 4 16X BDR-209 405nm diodes of 1W output to equal the brighness of 1 diode from an NUBMO8 bank---32 of them to equal the visual brightness one bank of 8 NUBM08 diodes.

The whole idea is a fools errand/daydream world waste of time imagining IMHO unless you know what you are doing, are capable of doing the the work yourself, have time and available cash needed and will get back at least enough to break even unless the cash to do means nothing to you.

If you expect any more help than that you better introduce yourself in the "Welcome" section and better define what you want to do and why and for what purpose.

Might be a good idea to ask *ichia if they have any thoughts about what you might be able to do using their diode products--maybe they would build you some custom diode banks and drivers for the right amount of cash or they may tell you no can do/cannot be done effectively. Anyway you look at it it is not going to be cheap or easy---everything is possible in imagination--not so in the real world.

Last edited:

pourya

Hi

I somehow found a way to solve my problem but had some questions if anyone would help:
1- I see some manufacturer put an extra lens in front of their diodes, is it crucial if I want to use these diodes just as a light source replacing NUBM08?
2- What drivers should I look for if I want to be able to drive 32 diodes or 4*8 dides together? I also want to be able to control the brightness.

Gentlemen and ladies if present,

Please do not spell out the company name N1ch1@, it gets search engine hits and can aggravate the people who design the tamper proof nightmares that kill our cheap source of parts.

The problems may already be looming but there is no need for us to add fuel to the fire.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi

I somehow found a way to solve my problem but had some questions if anyone would help:
1- I see some manufacturer put an extra lens in front of their diodes, is it crucial if I want to use these diodes just as a light source replacing NUBM08?
2- What drivers should I look for if I want to be able to drive 32 diodes or 4*8 dides together? I also want to be able to control the brightness.

Those are ball lenses and are part of the diode package. If you remove the ball lens it will have a detrimental effect on the longevity of the diodes. Are you trying to vary the brightness of individual diodes, or all of the diodes at once? If it is the latter, you can drive all the diodes in series as long as your driver can supply enough voltage for the Vf of each diode.

pourya

Thanks for your reply, I want to control the brightness of all diodes at once, so what kind of driver should I look for?

diachi

Thanks for your reply, I want to control the brightness of all diodes at once, so what kind of driver should I look for?

If you're running the whole array you're either going to need several drivers or build something custom to drive them...

Either something with analogue modulation or TTL modulation. Analogue modulation takes a 0-5V analogue signal and adjusts the current to the diodes based on that signal. TTL is digital, so either on or off, with TTL you can use PWM to adjust the output. Saying that, you can use PWM with analogue too.

Last edited:
I'm not that familiar with projector drivers, but don't they drive all the diodes in series too? If so, maybe he could use one of those drivers. Then again, IDK.

pourya

It would be perfect for me to use the driver inside of the projector, but I don't know how to check compatibility or how to modify the driver. Do you have any idea?

Encap

Hi

Firstly, it would be a good idea to post something about and introducing yourself in the Wecome subforum especailly if you expect people to babysit and spoon feed you answers about your laser imaginings possible or impossible.

NUMB08s were designed for the projector they are a part of and to function properly in that device.
What you are imagining is not going to be able to do the same function in the same device/projector for many reasons

So.....What is it you actually want to do. Why and what is your budget for doing it?
Is pretty obvious that you don't have much if any idea of what if anythng can accomplish whatever it is--and that is a big IF?

Sounds more like you want to create some pretty much useless imagining driven daydream world dangerous toy perhaps with a good chance of blinding yourself in the process.
You are aware you can not combine 32 1W 405 beams to make a more powerful 32W beam if you are imagining something like that --right? All you will have is 32 separate 1W beams.

You mentioned you found a way to solve your problem.
How do you imagine you can replace 4 NUMB08 blocks with 4 homemade blocks of 32 405nm diodes?
Even just the physical space required doesn't make any sense + $800 for 32 diodes X 4 = $3200 + output adjustable drivers to power them $s + some method of handling the heat generated by them so they don't self destruct i.e heat sinking effectively all the diodes $s+ lenses to focus them $s + other equpment and tools $s

To project a fuzzy hard to focus on/hard on eyesight 405nm "purple" only video projector picture as an experiment? An experiment in what? For what purpose? :crackup:
Does not add up--very difficult to imagine much less believe. Even if you could do it for about $5000 and you can't with your apparent lack of any knowledge, experience, skills, or ability with laser anything

The bigger question is why? Nothing you have mentioned will accomplish anything --just destroy a perfectly good video projector and turn it into worthless junk.

Last edited:

pourya

Hey Encap

If you want to know what I'm capable of, I should tell you I'm a professional and experience mechanical engineer, and I think I have a right not to reveal my project and purpose. I just asked your help, if you don't want to help me, just don't try to stop me, I'll do what I want and I will find the best way. I know all the thing you know about heating and danger of the lasers and wavelength and so on, just wanted to find the easiest way to drive the lasers since I'm not very good at electronics, I'm not noob at electronics but it's not my profession. So what I want from this forum, is to help me not to tell me if I can do what I want or not. I'm thankful that some people make me aware of the outcome of what I'm going to do but believe me I know what I'm doing.
I think it's good for everyone if I do what I want and share my experience for what you don't even dare to think about.

diachi

Hey Encap

If you want to know what I'm capable of, I should tell you I'm a professional and experience mechanical engineer, and I think I have a right not to reveal my project and purpose. I just asked your help, if you don't want to help me, just don't try to stop me, I'll do what I want and I will find the best way. I know all the thing you know about heating and danger of the lasers and wavelength and so on, just wanted to find the easiest way to drive the lasers since I'm not very good at electronics, I'm not noob at electronics but it's not my profession. So what I want from this forum, is to help me not to tell me if I can do what I want or not. I'm thankful that some people make me aware of the outcome of what I'm going to do but believe me I know what I'm doing.
I think it's good for everyone if I do what I want and share my experience for what you don't even dare to think about.

Sure, you have the right not to tell us about your project, and we have a right to withhold any and all information until we can be sure you're not doing something that could harm yourself or others.

I don't imagine you are restricted by an NDA or some such? If your project was on that level you'd be able to hire an electronics engineer to do the work for you.

You know what you're doing? We should just take your word on that? We don't know you, we don't know what equipment you have, how much experience you have or your intended application.

You can't give us answers? Fine, we can't give you answers.