Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nubm44 tip.

If you are looking at getting a 7 watt take my advice and DO NOT use a G2 lens... I did a test from 20 feet away using a 3 Element lens and then a G2 lens.
3 Element divergence was... 1 3/8 inch.
G2 Lens divergence was..... 3 1/4 inch.
Sure you will get a bit more power out of the G2 but you're pretty much gonna have a 7 watt blue flashlight.

The G2 lets 30% more power through, just feel how hot that 3 element gets in about 5 seconds. The 3 element also clips the ends of the line.

What you want to do is use the G2 or a G7 and a SANWU 3X expander, it makes a world of difference.

A nubm44 with a G2 and a SANWU 3X expander is fun, you get about a 1 inch long line at 20 feet but you can focus it razor thin and burn the heck out of stuff.

The G7 is a single element with a longer focal length that makes a 3 element size line with more power, add the 3X expander and you will love it.

For desktop or home CNC the G2 is what you want, but for out in the yard at 15-20 feet you want the G7 and 3X. The G2 and 3X has some reach as well.

The 3 element will work, but you lose power and build heat faster, that reduces runtime.

With a 7875 I say the heck with it and use the 3 element, but with the 44 you can see the extra power, 30% of 3 watts vs 30% of 7 watts makes enough of a difference.

The G7 and 3X will out range the 3 element for burning easily.

SANWU

Here's a comparison between the 3 element and the G2, notice how the heat build up with the 3 element causes power drop from faster heat build up.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/nubm44-6w-450nm-laser-diode-94119-18.html#post1370058 <<<Click the link

Last edited:
I, like many,
Just had to have the most powerful diode I could get my hands on. It is an impressive diode, I love mine. That being said, I hardly use it. I have an ndb7875 I use often and I highly recommend it for the best of both power, and beam quality. It's still an MM diode, just not as bad as some. The nubm44 is great for those who seek to busy themselves with correcting it as RedCowboy says. For affordability, it's hard to beat the 7875

The 7875 is a great diode. They are useful with just our off the shelf screw in lenses.

NDB7875 Cutting with a 3 element lens.

Last edited:

Pman

I had recently purchased Styro's Osirus laser that he sold really as a host but actually did already have a 7875 in it. The driver blew the second time I turned it on but when testing the diode at the standard 2.4A it output over 3.5W so instead of putting something else in like maybe a much more expensive 465 or strong 520nm I kept it as is and rebuilt it with a 2.4A sxd. Even with a 3 element for a nice beam it still output just over 2.8W which is as much as another 7875 I have in a different host running with the same 2.4A and a G lens. Thinking Styro may have binned that diode as it's quitE a bit stronger than any of my others at that same current. Wondering if anyone has ever gotten one that put out that much.
I haven't done anything with a 44 yet because as Red points out it really needs some help to properly tame it and I don't like the idea of so much heat being absorbed by a 3-element. In other words it's a bigger investment than I want to get into than a normal diode unless I decide to build one anyways for some closer burning. I will admit to being mighty tempted multiple times to pick one up anyways. Ive got lots of larger hosts for diodes like that.

GSS

Well i'm 2 days in to owning a Nubm44. Lifetime set me up with a C 11 host with I think is an Ed Crouse AL heatsink. This by far my strongest fattest sinked host. I can't see any reason I would ever need more and to be honest it is a bit over kill. This is also with setting it at a comfy 4Amp and the LPM was reading 5.6W. I jumped on it on impulse because it was a nice price.
Haven't had to much play time yet but with its G2 I don't think its all that bad. At say 6 ft. its putting a pretty thin line at maby a 1/2 in. wide. This G2 has a big custom focus knob so it doesn't burn my fingers. Now I did try a 3 element and haven't got to focus well yet do to probably a couple issues, but yes it gets to hot to touch but this is with a standard focus knob. Can't say much more as I need to play a bit. It is in another level though thats for sure.

Hi Gss,
When I first built my 44, I used 4amp for my driver setting. I have since bumped it up to 4.5. It did make a noticable difference but was plenty powerful at 4. Just not alot you can do without extreme caution at this power level....lol
I don't use mine often but am stil amazed by its power when I do

Edit:
Actually got it fired up today for a new avatar pic

Last edited: