Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM08 decaned by accident,lets do some testing then

BobMc

Still following. Thanks for being willing to follow through on such a long test. :) Shows some real promise with the info. :gj:

Last edited:

Still following. Thanks for being willing to follow through on such a long test. :) Shows some real promise with the info. :gj:

im absolutly interested and curious for the results also,the only info i missing is if those diodes are degrade due to working hours+oxygen or while they are off+ oxygen or both.
to determine this difference we would need another deccaned diode to testing it once a week without a alot of hours runtime as it would be in a decanned handheld laser:yh:

3rd week test:

attachment.php

the temperature finally droped as the summer ended so i guess its the reason for the slight higher output

Attachments

• IMG_20171007_112310.jpg
    IMG_20171007_112310.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 105
Why drive it so low, I run 08 diodes at 4.0 amps.

Where's your power supply readout?

What power supply are you using?

How much runtime do you log between testing?
Damage builds up during " ON " time.

A single diode is not a conclusive test.

So far your numbers are going up, this is not going to be due to the season as you do keep your diode in your climate controlled home, correct? " Note the table in the pic, looks to be indoors "

How long do you run the diode for each test?

----EDIT----

To run an experiment, you would need several diodes as one of each is not a large enough sample. It might solve the question if run correctly with enough samples of each.

Yes this too. ^^^^^

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Why drive it so low, I run 08 diodes at 4.0 amps.

Where's your power supply readout?

What power supply are you using?

How much runtime do you log between testing?
Damage builds up during " ON " time.

A single diode is not a conclusive test.

So far your numbers are going up, this is not going to be due to the season as you do keep your diode in your climate controlled home, correct? " Note the table in the pic, looks to be indoors "

How long do you run the diode for each test?

----EDIT----

Yes this too. ^^^^^

1)i run it so low to take a proper reading because my lpm reads only up to 2000mw
2)i din't include the power supply reading on the image because its always set at 1.5A for the test.
3)my power supply is a variable psu
4)i dont preheat the diode before the tests thats why i thought about the temperature(im just getting the peak power)
5)yes i agree that 1 diode isnt much but i wanted to see myself if a recaned diode still degrade.

about the temperature,yes the tests are indoor but between those there was around 10c difference due to summer-autumn change and i don't have an Ac on my room.

-Damage builds up during " ON " time.- this was my only concern from the beggining, do you ever or anyone else had a deccaned diode shitting around without use and you know that?i just want to be sure about that

Last edited:
double posting to add info,after a month today i messured again the output of the diode and it is significant lower.this is a total of 2 months after the diode decaned and sitting without being power on.
attachment.php

sorry for those black spots my cell phones camera messed up interally after a rainy day...

Attachments

• nubm08.jpg
    nubm08.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

BobMc

Thanks for the update. Could put in question some of my decanned builds. I will probably have to LPM them and see where there at. Thanks again for the testing. :)

Edit; thinking that since they been sealed in a module maybe not that much degradation?

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Could put in question some of my decanned builds. I will probably have to LPM them and see where there at. Thanks again for the testing. :)

Edit; thinking that since they been sealed in a module maybe not that much degradation?

yes this diode has 2 main differences from the others on builds,one is that is resealed and the other one is that its not in often using status,i only power it on ocassionally for the tests.so the degradation should be different on using diodes as some other members already stated

I have de-canned many of them, NUBM05,06,07 and 08's and I have run them that way in many configurations.

I have also used them with the GBall/can intact, because one NUBM06 with it's GBall lens intact may make a 25 x 50mm print at 15 feet where as another may make a 5 x 25mm print at 15 feet and the later works pretty well with a 3X beam expander, I simply use an emptied out 3 element lens housing as a coupling.

Some of the early 06's look to be 445nm but later ones look to be 455nm and many of the 05's look to be 455nm of course the 07 is around 470nm.

The 07 I run at 3.5 amps, the NUBM06 I run at 4.5 amps and the NUBM08 is best to stay at 4.0 amps or less.

I did run a de-canned NUBM08 in an identical setup as a NUBM44 and the 44 outlasted the 06. In my test both were used daily and heavily until the de-canned 08 was noticeably weakened after 6 weeks but the 44 lived on for a year+ of heavy daily use.

These are just my observations, I don't have a spreadsheet with hard numbers and although the de-canned GBall diodes do work they don't seem to hold up as long if de-canned, my can intact 06 that I use with a 3X BE is still working well after many months.

It seems like the wear occurs while powered up, so if you have a de-canned GBall diode that is not used heavily it may well survive for a long time, I have an 06 I have been using with a 25mm 2 element lens in a handmade slider/zoom to focus setup that is working well so far but I don't run it too long and not heavily, but it is a pretty 455nm ?? color, it is definitely a brighter shade of blue than the known 445nm diodes.

Attachments

• SANY1659.JPG
    SANY1659.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 29
  • SANY1669.JPG
    SANY1669.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 27
  • SANY1671.JPG
    SANY1671.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 126
  • SANY1675.JPG
    SANY1675.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

BobMc

yes this diode has 2 main differences from the others on builds,one is that is resealed and the other one is that its not in often using status,i only power it on ocassionally for the tests.so the degradation should be different on using diodes as some other members already jstated

That's what I was thinking, having read posts to that effect. But was curious (as a average) how much they might degrade just sitting built in a unit?

I have de-canned many of them, NUBM05,06,07 and 08's and I have run them that way in many configurations.

I have also used them with the GBall/can intact, because one NUBM06 with it's GBall lens intact may make a 25 x 50mm print at 15 feet where as another may make a 5 x 25mm print at 15 feet and the later works pretty well with a 3X beam expander, I simply use an emptied out 3 element lens housing as a coupling.

Some of the early 06's look to be 445nm but later ones look to be 455nm and many of the 05's look to be 455nm of course the 07 is around 470nm.

The 07 I run at 3.5 amps, the NUBM06 I run at 4.5 amps and the NUBM08 is best to stay at 4.0 amps or less.

I did run a de-canned NUBM08 in an identical setup as a NUBM44 and the 44 outlasted the 06. In my test both were used daily and heavily until the de-canned 08 was noticeably weakened after 6 weeks but the 44 lived on for a year+ of heavy daily use.

These are just my observations, I don't have a spreadsheet with hard numbers and although the de-canned GBall diodes do work they don't seem to hold up as long if de-canned, my can intact 06 that I use with a 3X BE is still working well after many months.

It seems like the wear occurs while powered up, so if you have a de-canned GBall diode that is not used heavily it may well survive for a long time, I have an 06 I have been using with a 25mm 2 element lens in a handmade slider/zoom to focus setup that is working well so far but I don't run it too long and not heavily, but it is a pretty 455nm ?? color, it is definitely a brighter shade of blue than the known 445nm diodes.

Thanks RCB; that's what I was hoping. I've got a half dozen or so built into builds. Didn't want to lose them to quickly.

Red, the picture you have with what looks like lens that are different heights. Are those the 12mm housing that you made? If so well done. :gj:

Last edited:

yea with Gballs intact you can get a good lifespan on those diodes and i agree that some of those Gball diodes have horible focusing and some other are quiet better.
the one im using for the testing has something like 50x50mm at 2m,thats a nice flashlight LOL.

where did you get those 06's that having higher wavelenghs??maybe the seller messed them up with the 05's because the can's are the same you can't tell the difference.455nm for the 05 and 08 is normal and what supposed to be,but i never heard or saw a 06 with that high wavelengh

Yes I also suspect that a China supplier sent me some 05 diodes in place of 06 diodes, I used to bid on them and scored some in the 30 dollar range so it's very possible they sent me 05 diodes in a bag marked nubm06.

The 08 has divergence like a 44 where as the 06 has divergence like a 7A75,.
That is 2 inches with a G2 at 15 feet vs. 1.5 inches with a G2 at 15 feet, but the 08 makes an extra watt.

Maybe this is why 7A75/7K75 diodes are all north of 100 dollars, that and they are no longer in production.

Its a shame 05 diodes don't have a can window like the n-450

Yes I also suspect that a China supplier sent me some 05 diodes in place of 06 diodes, I used to bid on them and scored some in the 30 dollar range so it's very possible they sent me 05 diodes in a bag marked nubm06.

The 08 has divergence like a 44 where as the 06 has divergence like a 7A75,.
That is 2 inches with a G2 at 15 feet vs. 1.5 inches with a G2 at 15 feet, but the 08 makes an extra watt.

Maybe this is why 7A75/7K75 diodes are all north of 100 dollars, that and they are no longer in production.

Its a shame 05 diodes don't have a can window like the n-450

i bet that they sent you 05's then,if im not mistaken you reffering to techhood,existotem,newgaser bidding diodes.if so they did sent me wrong-fake lpc 840's after i bid on them.
yeah 08 and 05-7A75 is always a trade of between power and divergence,personally i prefer the less watt with a bit better divergence.

7A75's are also new from the manucturer maybe thats why they cost more instead of the 05's that are all extracted from projector. if the 7A75 is exactly the same diode as 05 then i would also degrade like a 05 if decaned(no reason of cource to decan exept a damaged diode window)

Benm

double posting to add info,after a month today i messured again the output of the diode and it is significant lower.this is a total of 2 months after the diode decaned and sitting without being power on.

Intresting - there seemed to be no problem during the first month or so. This might be something you could test again in another month and probably for longer.

One thing to be absolutely sure about is that no dust or moisture get onto the die degrading the performance, so store it in a safe place between test runs.

The diode may also just degrade due to being driven hard, so to get really valid results diodes with and without their cans on should really be compared side by side under otherwise equal test conditions.

I really doubt it's oxygen degrading the diode though, it survived at original power level pretty long as it is, and if anything in there would be really oxygen sensitive it would have failed much sooner.

Regardless of what is originally inside of it, i think the can and window on laser diodes are mainly mechanical protection, dust covers, and perhaps also help against moisture.

It is possible your diode is mislabeled and just degrading due to overcurrent, so it may be better to test at a much lower power level if you want to track long term degradation due to the can being removed.

Lower than 1.5a Nah he should be testing it at higher current, Also do you move it around on your Ophir head or always in same position, that is if you using an Ophir head!

Never mind I see your using Hyperion!

Last edited:
Intresting - there seemed to be no problem during the first month or so. This might be something you could test again in another month and probably for longer.

One thing to be absolutely sure about is that no dust or moisture get onto the die degrading the performance, so store it in a safe place between test runs.

The diode may also just degrade due to being driven hard, so to get really valid results diodes with and without their cans on should really be compared side by side under otherwise equal test conditions.

I really doubt it's oxygen degrading the diode though, it survived at original power level pretty long as it is, and if anything in there would be really oxygen sensitive it would have failed much sooner.

Regardless of what is originally inside of it, i think the can and window on laser diodes are mainly mechanical protection, dust covers, and perhaps also help against moisture.

It is possible your diode is mislabeled and just degrading due to overcurrent, so it may be better to test at a much lower power level if you want to track long term degradation due to the can being removed.

this is a nubm08 diode,we run those at 4+ Amps on our builds and im just testing it at 1.5A to be able to meter it on my hyperium cuprum.

maybe oxygen or something that oxygen contains makes a very slow degradation.i'll definetly keep testing it and don't forget that the can placed and sealed again so im expecting the degredation to stop at some point