Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM07 on ACS5500BU driver...

Gadget

Just got this unit from Jordan. Anyone have any idea why it might be flashing? When I apply power (2-LiIon cells) It flashes at about 1.5-2 hZ.

Was hoping someone here had an idea before I go to Jordan. I know he's busy.

Thanks,
G

The flash on that driver comes from 2 reasons
first: Your input is less than 7V
second:You are using poor quality cells - check your battery again

Gadget

This is from a cold start, so shouldn't be a heat issue. The batteries read 8.11v unloaded. They're relatively new bats, but I suppose it's possible they're sagging that far.

I'll hook it up to the PSU when I get home from work and see if that's the issue.

Actually I have lots of builds with this drivers, flash signs that the battery is about to run out,on the other hand, some drivers will show signs of flash when overheating, but this seems to rarely come out with the buck driver, especially high-end drivers, which emit very little heat.

Good luck with finding out your cause

DTR

Yes sounds like the cells may be sagging under load. On these ACS drivers when the supply voltage is not higher than the load plus dropout voltage they will start to flash. The flashing is slower the lower the voltage goes till it just turns off. The lazeerer drivers like the SXD or X-Drives act differently just falling out of regulation switching to constant voltage reducing the output of the laser.

Do you have any other cells you can try with it or maybe a power supply?

Gadget

Thanks for chiming in, Jordan. And everyone else!

Sagging batteries did, indeed, turn out to be the culprit. I hooked up a fresh pair straight out of the box and problem solved. Funny, I didn't realize the other 07E (on SXD) I ran with these batts was running sans regulation most of the time. Anyway, it's off to the battery graveyard for these. They are "name brand", and I've got well used pulls that handle more current.

I say name brand loosely (Westinghouse, believe it or not). I found them at Wally World, first time I ever saw Li-ions there and they were pretty cheap. Now I see why.

Anyway, thanks for the help errbody! Now you can check out my other help thread. Had some wierd goings-on with an earlier 07E, and I think its gonna need surgery.

-G

Yes sounds like the cells may be sagging under load. On these ACS drivers when the supply voltage is not higher than the load plus dropout voltage they will start to flash. The flashing is slower the lower the voltage goes till it just turns off. The lazeerer drivers like the SXD or X-Drives act differently just falling out of regulation switching to constant voltage reducing the output of the laser.

Do you have any other cells you can try with it or maybe a power supply?

I haven't yet tried to build anything with these newer ACS drivers so this information was news to me too. Thanks.