Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

now you see him... now you dont.....

look what i came across on the web when i was having alook around.

Police to experiment with blinding ?Dazer Laser?? - BlackListed News

i dont know if any of you guys have seen this before, but its news to me. what sort of laser do you think they are/would use and is it really safe and would have no side effects on your eyes or even cause epileptic seizures in susceptible individuals ???

Last edited:

i'm pretty sure Wicked's 'photonic disruptor' was used for that, i saw it on futureweapons a few years ago, if i recall correctly it was 100mW, dangerous stuff, next time i happen to be out and about robbing banks ill wear some lasershades ;) :crackup:

Trevor

i'm pretty sure Wicked's 'photonic disruptor' was used for that, i saw it on futureweapons a few years ago, if i recall correctly it was 100mW, dangerous stuff, next time i happen to be out and about robbing banks ill wear some lasershades ;) :crackup:

For some reason I don't think WL is actually selling any version of the PD for law enforcement, I think they just used the name. WL is never mentioned in the Future Weapons video, I think they just linked it on their website to try and sell the PD.

-Trevor

lol keep a pair of lasershades with you :D next time you go do something bad

next time i happen to be out and about robbing banks ill wear some lasershades ;) :crackup:

That's actually a really good point. If these become popular in law enforcement, it would be really easy to pick up some of the "red laser enhancement goggles" for <$10. It would make these completely useless.

That's actually a really good point. If these become popular in law enforcement, it would be really easy to pick up some of the "red laser enhancement goggles" for <$10. It would make these completely useless.

The goggles wouldn't stop the tazer that followed next.. or if the situation is bad enough, the bullets. Though I guess somebody could wear an aluminum foil wrapped kevlar vest too. But I think that might look a touch suspicious.

Last edited:

Dregan

That thing is specc'd to 500 mW. Seems a little excessive for dazing someone. That's permanent damage power.

That thing is specc'd to 500 mW. Seems a little excessive for dazing someone. That's permanent damage power.

What's the beam diameter and divergence though? 500mw is only a lot of light when it's in a small diameter beam. The larger the beam, the lower the power density is going to be.

I calculated (roughly) that 500mW would need to have a 130 cm diameter beam to not do damage. That's 4.3 feet, and the beam did not look that wide in the demo video.

Cheech

That one cop had regular shades on too dilating his pupils. Instruction Fail.

I calculated (roughly) that 500mW would need to have a 130 cm diameter beam to not do damage. That's 4.3 feet, and the beam did not look that wide in the demo video.

When I do the power density calculation,

http://www.newport.com/file_store/Photonics/Power_Meters_and_Detectors/Tutorials/tutorial2.pdf

I get a beam diameter of 225mm to get 500mw down to a class 3a rating of 2.5mw/cm2 (or .00025W/cm2, since that what the power density formula uses) which is generally considered eye safe.

That's 22.5cm or or 8.86"

A far cry from the 130cm you say. What formula did you use?