Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not sure why dot looks dimmer and different

I tried using the qtip and it had no effect at all. I also noticed that it lookslike there is a tiny white smudge on or in the window of the diode. Does this mean I need a new diode or can I decan it like laseerer said. Also,what would cause this in the first place? It was in a heatsink and I never left it on for more than 5 to 10 seconds at once. There was no thermal epoxy, but I could feel the heatsink warm up

Did you do any burning with the diode? And what did you burn?

Last edited:
I could burn holes in plastic, cut tape, light matches instantly, make almost anything smoke, and an unbareable sting on your hand if it was held still. Now it cant burn at all.

Last edited:
Your diode is possible shot now.

Possible you have been turning this laser on even though you have this problem on the diodes window.

This will make the laser diode heat up more and restrict light coming out damaging the diode.

So possible your diode is too far gone to save.:(

De canning it will be a way to see if it can be saved.

How do I decan it, and is it common for diodes to burn up like this? Do I need more heatsinking?

If you say it looks like white stuff on the window of the diode then something got burnt on the window for sure.

Could have been how you pressed it into the module could of been something got in side the module when you where screwing the lens on and after time one day it fell on the window. Could be many reason.

Is it common. Well Yes. The diode did not burn up on its own. It would have been fine if nothing got on the window. So its user Error.

To De-can a diode I take the diode and press it in backwards in a AixiZ module then i put it in a drill chuck and spin it on slow wail holding a Razor blade to the can of the diodes bass to cut it off. Should only take you 1 minute to cut off.

This is the way i do it and always leaves a perfect cut.

Someone else might have another way.

Last edited:
Before decanning it I would try one more time to clean it, a Q-tip and some Acetone, that will tell the tale as it will remove most
things from a diodes window.
if you have some really stubborn burned on crap or the window has become etched due to burning then you will have to decan it.
A decanned 445 is sure to die after some time, it's in a can to keep the oxygen away from it and now it will be not long for this world.
but it will work better for sure if it's the window, if it's the die it's self decanning will do nothing to help. and I suspect since it worked
one moment and not the next that it's your die that is bad and not the window.