Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not FS: 638nm 1000mW (1W) + Build, Stainless Steel

Tman

Re: FS: 638nm 1000mW (1W) + Build, Stainless Steel

wow:beer:

MUST RESIST TEMPTATION! Wow, I really, really want one of these diodes. I'm not loving this out though. I know intellectually that it isn't more difficult to heat sink than a 1 watt blue, but with this diode being so expensive and so hard to replace I'd really like to see it in a beefy copper sink.

This is a great, great deal and if I hadn't just grabbed "the new iPad" today I would probably get it right now.

You are awesome for offering this for sale instead of hoarding it all to yourself. This is a really rare, elite laser being offered right now!

"You must spread some reputation before giving more to RHD" Seems like it tells me that every day!

Last edited:

rhd

MUST RESIST TEMPTATION! Wow, I really, really want one of these diodes. I'm not loving this out though. I know intellectually that it isn't more difficult to heat sink than a 1 watt blue, but with this diode being so expensive and so hard to replace I'd really like to see it in a beefy copper sink.

This is a great, great deal and if I hadn't just grabbed "the new iPad" today I would probably get it right now.

You are awesome for offering this for sale instead of hoarding it all to yourself. This is a really rare, elite laser being offered right now!

"You must spread some reputation before giving more to RHD" Seems like it tells me that every day!

Gross, an iPad! ;p

If you had said "that new awesome Android tablet", then I would have forgiven you ;)

Back to the matter at hand though - copper would have been silly. This diode just doesn't produce that much heat. And as the host is stainless steel (not copper or aluminum) itself, I can't see any benefit to using copper for a heatsink to more quickly move heat to a stainless steel host (which will itself conduct heat a lot slower than either copper or aluminum).

Bottom line, is that this just isn't a high heat producing diode. I'll grant you that its an expensive diode, but that shouldn't dictate design characteristics that are illogical.

It's a high powered red diode, in a small pocket sized host, with a correspondingly small air-contact surface area. If there was a bottleneck, it would be the host-to-air heat conduction. But at a rate of holding 90% of its output power for 2 minutes, I think the duty cycle on this unit suggests that the thermal properties of this build are a lot better than you'd expect.

Last edited:

Gross, an iPad! ;p

If you had said "that new awesome Android tablet", then I would have forgiven you ;)

Back to the matter at hand though - copper would have been silly. This diode just doesn't produce that much heat. And as the host is stainless steel (not copper or aluminum) itself, I can't see any benefit to using copper for a heatsink to more quickly move heat to a stainless steel host (which will itself conduct heat a lot slower than either copper or aluminum).

Bottom line, is that this just isn't a high heat producing diode. I'll grant you that its an expensive diode, but that shouldn't dictate design characteristics that are illogical.

It's a high powered red diode, in a small pocket sized host, with a correspondingly small air-contact surface area. If there was a bottleneck, it would be the host-to-air heat conduction. But at a rate of holding 90% of its output power for 2 minutes, I think the duty cycle on this unit suggests that the thermal properties of this build are a lot better than you'd expect.

I dislike ipads too, i like Win7 tablets..btw whats "that new awesome Android tablet"? Which one is awesome? I have some in mind but i wanna know more.

rhd

I dislike ipads too, i like Win7 tablets..btw whats "that new awesome Android tablet"? Which one is awesome? I have some in mind but i wanna know more.

Oh, I was actually just speaking generally.... didn't have a particular Android tablet in mind (though IMO, there are many that are hands-down more compelling than the iPad)

Oh, I was actually just speaking generally.... didn't have a particular Android tablet in mind (though IMO, there are many that are hands-down more compelling than the iPad)

I like the Asus transformer :)

99% of my posts are from my iPad, I also have an iPhone 4. But that's it. PCs all over my house. Not a single Mac in the house. Not an apple fanboy, but I sure like the iPhone/iPad!

Me too. For the price I would think copper would be mandatory.

No worries on finding these diode. They will soon be available, and probably a lot cheaper too.

Good things come to those that wait. :D

rhd

I like the Asus transformer :)

That's neat looking, but I struggle to see Windows 7 being a useful tablet OS. Isn't it difficult to "touch" small menu and setting items in typical OS controls?

99% of my posts are from my iPad, I also have an iPhone 4. But that's it. PCs all over my house. Not a single Mac in the house. Not an apple fanboy, but I sure like the iPhone/iPad!

I've tried. I actually bought one of the first MacBooks to run Intel chips. I just couldn't do it. Within weeks I had to put Windows back on the machine and dual boot. Then one day I realized that I hadn't run Mac OSX in 6 months. So I sold it.

Back then, for the price I got for a USED MacBook, I was able to buy a better BRAND NEW Windows machine :)

That's neat looking, but I struggle to see Windows 7 being a useful tablet OS. Isn't it difficult to "touch" small menu and setting items in typical OS controls?

I've tried. I actually bought one of the first MacBooks to run Intel chips. I just couldn't do it. Within weeks I had to put Windows back on the machine and dual boot. Then one day I realized that I hadn't run Mac OSX in 6 months. So I sold it.

Back then, for the price I got for a USED MacBook, I was able to buy a better BRAND NEW Windows machine :)

Asus transformer isnt Win 7 tablet. Its android lol. I was just saying its my favorite Android tablet. I have no ipads period.

I played with the Mac before but I cannot get used to the controls I'm just so used to windows. However the iPad is pretty awesome mostly because it's so portable. I carried around all over the house if I need to eat dinner and type away I can. In fact not even typing right now using the dictation feature on this thing and it's amazing.

I entered the above block of text with the new dictation feature. That is what it typed out, unedited. A few errors, but nothing in readable. Plus you can always go back and edit it with the keyboard if you need to anyway.

Completely agree with you about the pc's though, I'm windows all the way - even with all of its annoyances.

So, uh - how about that laser?! :D

Last edited:

Oh man, I would definitely buy this if I weren't saving up for a ~$1300 589nm... Won't stray from it this time rhd ;)
Oh... and I'm 16 so that doesn't help :na:

Last edited:

Oh man, I would definitely buy this if I weren't saving up for a ~$1300 589nm... Won't stray from it this time rhd ;)
Oh... and I'm 16 so that doesn't help :na:

You are 16?!? And spending 1300$ dollars for an epic laser which is cool :beer: but damn i dont even wanna know how you get that kind of money at your age lol i was delivering pizzas at 16 for 4$ an hour lol

Anyway good luck on saving for that laser!

Greetings,,

awesome chance for somebody... more than just owning a 1W red. Ser # 0000000001.

nice job +2.

hak