Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

noobs make noob mistakes

Yes DPSS is very bad for waisting power my yellow 589 puts out 100mW on a good day but it draws 2700ma (2.7 amps) to do this, a 12x blu-ray diode running at 300ma can put out 301mW need I say more ;)

I decan diodes at will, then again my cutters cost $76.00 and are made by EREM in Switzerland ;)
I cut the can off when the window falls into the can or can't be cleaned or gets broken.
Here's a closup of a 6x that had a window that fell in durring shipment.
13zcxvc.jpg

I seem to remember people cutting the cans off of diodes like this so they were open, I don't recall what exactly for, but I remember it for some reason.

These are 9mm diodes, a similar style case. If you had the dexterity I think you could cut the front off of the diode and leave it open like these diodes.

http://www.*****************.com/shop/product.php?id_product=60

I would wait to see if someone with a touch more experience confirms this! I think you got really lucky, hitting it with a hammer like that, I blown diodes with a lot less force than that!

I guess I can't post a link, here's a picture of a open diode though
60-128-thickbox.jpg

Last edited:

daguin

Hey Dave,

He's looking to drive a Red, if I've understood correctly. 170mA @ 5V sounds like a BR requirement? Or do you mean this as input to a linear driver like the DDL?

M
:)
Yeah. I was thinking about the total required voltage for the driver/diode.

Peace,
dave

Morgan

daguin was talking about the fact that dpss is much less efficient than straight diode-lens laser.
DPSS losses include: 808nm ->1024nm, 1024nm->532nm, and lasing medium inefficiencies, and collimating lens (some greens also have a concentrating lens between the diode and the crystals)
diode-lens losses mainly in the single lens.QUOTE]

Do you mean 1064nm? :whistle:

M

Last edited:
Absolutely. But I thought this thread was for noobs to make mistakes :eek:

besides, 1024 is a much prettier number than 1064.

Morgan

^ Ha. We're all allowed the odd one here and there! I make more than my share.

@Unclewho - It sounds like you've solved your initial problem so good luck for your future build. More pics when you're done we hope.

M