Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Noob looking for knowledge/help

Jerm

Sorry guys to ask what I'm sure has been asked before but this form is MASSIVE and I didn't want to spend days going through everything BEFORE I even get started in the right direction.
OK, so I've always been interested in lasers since college (was able to mess around with them in college some), and my other hobbies I want to do cost too much right now. Been reading on the form different posts and articles to learn everything I can, (by the way LOVE the soldering post currently watching the video over lunch) but I’m more of a hands on kind of guy. Is there any kits for sale on here that has everything (except tools), preferably with something like teaching instructions, to make a complete and working laser. I really don’t care about color or strength I’m more interested in learning the build, the why’s, the how’s, and the reasons. What I really need is a mentor that I could spend some time with, build a laser or 2 with, pester with questions, but I’m pretty sure there is no one around the boonies where I live!

Thanks for your patience and experience, any help is appreciated.

Jerm

LOL thanks for the quick reply. I'll start on those videos after I get done with the soldering. I am pretty good at soldering on piping but I know it's a completely different monster when working with electronics so I wanted to start as if I've never picked up a tool before. I'm a little OCD so when I do something (as much as possible) I want to get it right the first time.

Just take your time and go slow, it's only when I go too fast I have problems with these small parts.

Snecho

LOL thanks for the quick reply. I'll start on those videos after I get done with the soldering. I am pretty good at soldering on piping but I know it's a completely different monster when working with electronics so I wanted to start as if I've never picked up a tool before. I'm a little OCD so when I do something (as much as possible) I want to get it right the first time.
Soldering is fun and easy. I don't know if you have a soldering iron and flux/solder but are you sure you want to jump right in and build a DIY laser?

Most would suggest buying a cheaper one to gain experience with safety first. Do you have EaglePairs yet?
Don't mean to barrage you like this.

Jerm

I have a cheap soldering iron and solder. I have to look to see if the solder is the right type (getting old don't remember), and no I don't have EaglePairs yet, that was going to be my first purchase, then make sure I have the correct flux & solder. Yes I really do want to build one, but as to not waste money messing good components up I was going to get a couple of the cheap little laser pointers and dissemble and examine them to get a better understanding of all the components.
Just so everybody knows, while I haven't been around lasers in a while, I have been around welding all my life, and do understand the importance of proper eye protection. Now they can do some amazing stuff in the field of medicine I'm pretty sure they can't regrow retinas yet.
Eventually after I truly know what I'm doing, I want to work up to building massive lasers, maybe build from scratch my own cnc laser cutter.

GSS

Where do you guys go for the EaglePair glasses?
Usually from Survival Lasers. Garoq is a member and owner of that sight.
He has a US link and a International link. %10 discount for forum members.

Jerm

Thanks! got to wait a couple weeks now as I shredded a tire this morning but that just gives me time to do more research! One more question then I'll leave you alone (for now!) I have access to a bunch of HP Color LaserJet Pro laser printers. are the lasers in them powerful enough to bother with or are they even the right type? If they was I was going to get them (all it will cost me is the gas to pick them up) and throw them in the garage for later projects.