Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NJG-18, multimode boost driver for 445nm.. and possibly 650nm

Re: 3 mode driver for 445nm

In the meantime I was also thinking of trying a 5 mode from the Tank007 flashlights.

I tried this. The ones I have didn't 'play well' with a test load. At least not with 4.2v

SHIN

Re: 3 mode driver for 445nm

I think this driver is the only one that can power up 1W 445nm with ONE Li-ion in DX and KD AFAIK.

Some fixation may be needed as the following picture.

SHIN

Attachments

• img4575gt7.jpg
    img4575gt7.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,376

Fivos

Re: 3 mode driver for 445nm, one Li-ion

well I bought one driver from dx and I have a 445nm diode and a 18650 battery. What should I do to drive this diode. I mean where to put the resistor and the diodes and also what connection should I do for this to work. Can this driver replace the flexdrive

Fivos

When I connected the circuit (one 18650) with an led, I heard a strange sound. Whats happening??

SHIN

Hi. Fivos.

Welcome to the forums.:)
This 3 mode driver is cheap and nice.

1. Examine the driver board.
If there is no connection between c1 and LD(+), solder to fix as above picture.

2. Set the current with test load.
You must set the "pot" for the proper current. After each setting of pot, you should check the current of test load "several times" for 3 modes(or 5 modes) of the driver. When max 1200mA+, finish the setting.
You can search to find the threads of test load elsewhere. This link of my previous thread for high current test load may be helpful:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/dummy-load-high-current-2a-test-load-3a-52372.html

3. Solder to connect 445nm LD.

4. Prepare a heatsink for 445nm LD.
It is not advisable to power up 445nm over a few seconds only with Aixiz.
I made my custom P60-style heatsink in the pictures of the 1st post.

5. Power up and enjoy.;)

Don't forget the safety.

I don't know the reason for your "sound from the driver". There is no sound of my driver...

SHIN

edit) I think this driver can supply 445nmLD max. 1200mA. So one can connect the LD and then set the pot without test load. But needs LPM. And when setting the pot, must not power up the driver.

Attachments

• LD-side.jpg
    LD-side.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 665
  • battery-side.jpg
    battery-side.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 828
Last edited:

Fivos

Thank you! I'll test it and I'll tell you the results.

Fivos

Ohhh, I forgot... You said you used 4 diodes and 1 resistor. I need to place them for my laser to work, or it is just for safety (if I connect the battery poles wrong for example)?

SHIN

Test load is for the simultion of LD.
You can simulate with test load and determine the current and voltage of the driver for the LD.

If you are a starter, you'd better trying first with cheap LOC or PHR.
Everybody can fail at the first time..
And there are many sharing informations and trial-and-error stories in this forum.
You can search any time and make your knowledge.

Good luck! ;)

SHIN

Last edited:

Careful with the amc7135 chips, I already cooked one 445 with this kind of board :(
They also (allegedly) don't like capacitors on the output side. The chips think it is a short and stop sending juice.

Fivos

Well i have already built a 405nm laser with homemade driver and I also have a 650nm 200mw laser powered from pc power supply and an IR laser. I have some experience in lasers...Thanks for the info though.

JLSE

Careful with the amc7135 chips, I already cooked one 445 with this kind of board :(

Test, test, and test some more...

If the tests are good, you save an innocent LD in the long run :beer:

Some borads can be defective. Watch your wiring, and be sure no part
of the driver is touching the host.

The only part of the driver that was touching the host was the outer ring (negative input). I ran the laser for about 25-35 minutes with no problem.
On a dummy load the driver ran 1385-1395mA for 2 minutes so I hooked 'er up.
It was fun while it lase-ted but died after I charged up the 16340s :(

SHIN

Hi. AUTO XX.

Did you isolate the LD case pin from the other pin or host ?
AMC7135 is negative-side regulator and battery(+) is common in LD(+) unlike v5 or rkcstr.

SHIN

edit) Did you use this 3-mode driver?
Mine is still alive with no problem.

Last edited:

Yeah, it wasn't kipkay connected (direct connected :na: )
I didn't bother with the case pin but didn't isolate the diode so it was basically case negative to the diode. I tried the diode afterward on a dll driver and still no joy so I know it is dead lol.
Oversized heatsink and I never had it on for longer than 20 seconds per hour (not intentional, just didn't use it much at a time)
Like I said, the laser worked for quite a time but died within about 10 seconds of charging the batteries. The voltage after the charger was 4.12v and I let them sit for a few hours the came to about 4v apiece. The driver was heatsinked in the same piece of aluminum but only the tops of each amc7135 chip actually touched the heatsink, a bit of thermal paste to make sure of a good thermal connection on there as well.
I think that is all of the pertinent info but if there is more info needed just ask. I was pretty careful and took some notes as it was my 1st 445 build.

ReNNo

This cheap flashlight boost converter looks great....
It's perfect for cheap 445nm builds and that is what I aim for. (Don't like to waist 26USD on microboost)

Only thing that worries me is stability of this driver.
Is it enough to put two capacitors at driver's output? (small capacity capacitor for small spikes and bigger capacity capacitor for larger spikes).
Has anyone tried to use capacitors on driver's output? How driver reacts on capacitors?

I would hardly call buying an actual known good driver like the microboost a waste of money.. I'd rather spend a bit more myself on a good driver, than to use cheap drivers and risk diodes that cost twice as much.

Last edited: