Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nichia Exhibits 3 Watt Laser Diode !

Ref

My eyes are easily irritated. I also have astigmatism in at least one eye (dunno about the other 2 =P), and ride a motorcycle. Despite the full-face helmet, something always finds its way behind the visor, sun shield, and my glasses, causing me to drive with no depth perception until I can pull over and...cry it out, or something. haha

I could only imagine having to deal with getting crap out of my eye AND a piece of film resting on it all of the time.

It's not so bad. A plus note with contacts, if dust gets on your eye, it doesn't hurt. Blinking also typically gets rid of it.

its not really to do with irritation but i couldnt stand to directly touch my eye with something either. just a strong protective instinct i guess, but i'd sooner touch a spider than touch my eyeball with a finger, and im arachnaphoebic.

Ref

its not really to do with irritation but i couldnt stand to directly touch my eye with something either. just a strong protective instinct i guess, but i'd sooner touch a spider than touch my eyeball with a finger, and im arachnaphoebic.

That, too. I remember a friend of mine having his contact somehow move around to the back of his eye...tawheirshdgktrl.

Speaking of arachnophobia, I dont know why I didnt think "LASER!" when I found a wolf spider the size of a small child's hand in my closet, recently. He's currently resting in the bin of my Dyson. lol

But yeah..Nichia...keep up the good work. I want a 3W 532nm diode before the end of the year. :p

Benm

Widely off-topic...

but fear of something touching your eyeball can probably be overcome. I suggest trying with something that is safe, the best option is probably a knuckle after washing your hands. Touching your eye with the tip of a finger is more scary because of the nail, that could perhaps scratch your cornea if you slip or something.

When i first got contacts, putting them in was a rather scary and counter-intuitive thing. Also, when you're not used to wearing them, you have a there-is-something-in-my-eye sensation all the time.

That completely goes away though. As long as i dont get anything irritating in my eyes, i have to check if i'm seeing sharp or verify with a mirror to determine if i still have them in or not.

Contacts don't go to the back of your eyeball either. The can slip under an eyelid, but come back out on their own when looking up, down and around for a bit.

^ Good to hear, that they can't go behind the eyeball LOL. That's nasty!

I just hate it when eyeballs pop out of their sockets.........
YouTube - Lady popping her eye out

Yeah, we need 3 watts of R, G and B for a 6 watt white laser and then we can mix our paint as we choose. ;-)

Ref

Yeah, we need 3 watts of R, G and B for a 6 watt white laser and then we can mix our paint as we choose. ;-)
A slightly thicker Kryton with 3 range limited potentiometers. =D

My neighbors 2 doors down have this little lawn ornament thing near their door...a butterfly that slowly fades through all of the colors via 3 LEDS. Id say give China another 1.5 years. :)

BTW, OSRAM published an article last year touting a single-emitter laser diode, 405nm, at 8.7W output power.

This is certainly older news now that it's 1.5 years later, and the science keeps on advancing.

I wanted to say it a while ago but never did pullbangdead, so today i will,...
I just love your avatar ! :D

Last edited:
The AW 18650 battery has a max rated output of 5.2W... so it could easily handle the current draw of a 3W diode.

The AW 18650 has a max rated constant discharge current of 2C, or 5.2A. I believe you have your A's and W's confused, since that works out to a range of 18 to 21 watts.

The Sanyo 2600mah batteries can deliver over 10 watts of power easily.

That is a 2.4 watt laser diode @ 24% efficiency.

LarryDFW

Sanyo is MUCH MUCH better than any tenergy or ____fire cell. Honestly, if you want LiMn, get AW. For Li-Ion, all you need is name-brand, and Sanyo is one of the bests. And no matter what the brand, don't abuse your lions... er, Li-Ions.

Oh, I'm a little off topic here.. Hmm, let me fix that....

I'm not surprised Nichia's coming out with all the top-of-the-line GaN components. Somewhere around here is a link to a 6 or 7 page article, a great read, on the efforts of Ammono group and Nichia's Nakamura before he left. But mostly the Ammono group.