Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nichia 1.4W NDB7675 462nm Laser Diode

Is it just my imagination or does this diode produce more heat than a 445nm driven at the same current ? It sure seems to get hotter quicker than my 2.3w 445 nm. Glad I used a host with a good heat sink.

As a general rule, the more inefficient the diode is the more heat it will dissipate when compared to a diode that displays higher output
at identical amperage (ie. one that is more efficient). Efficiency and wavelength are inversely proportional and since this diode exhibits
higher wavelength, naturally efficiency will be less.

I recently had a streak of some really terrible luck and I no longer have my 476/480, so I wanted the most suitable replacement :eek:

How did this happen!?!? :cryyy::cryyy::cryyy: My sincere condolences. I s'pose this diode is the next best thing ;)

The more I look at everyone's build thread the more I want to buy one :p Resistance is futile :eg:

Last edited:

IWIRE

Efficiency and wavelength are inversely proportional and since this diode exhibits higher wavelength, naturally efficiency will be less.

The more I look at everyone's build thread the more I want to buy one :p Resistance is futile :eg:

Well it might be natural to you ! But I didn't know that :)
I know ignorance is no excuse. But it's the only one I got :crackup:
Thanks for the explanation :beer:
Hey at least I noticed it seemed to get warmer faster :)

Might as well just order the thing. Stop tormenting yourself and step into the 462nm realm. :)

Might as well just order the thing. Stop tormenting yourself and step into the 462nm realm. :)

Heat is the defining factor behind red-shifting.

Thus, if the diode is more efficient, and more input goes to output light, rather than output heat, the diode will heat up less. Though this might only result in a delayed time before hitting the same temperature as a less efficient diode.

IsaacT

The minute I put mine on an LPM and saw its terrible efficiency (1.7W @ 2.4A) I smiled with glee because I knew the wavelength was higher. Sure enough, it clocks in just shy of 470nm at 469nm.

IWIRE

Heat is the defining factor behind red-shifting.

Thus, if the diode is more efficient, and more input goes to output light, rather than output heat, the diode will heat up less. Though this might only result in a delayed time before hitting the same temperature as a less efficient diode.
Thanks for the info ! You guys teach me a little more each day ! The more I learn. The more I realize how little I know. REP +1 :beer:

The minute I put mine on an LPM and saw its terrible efficiency (1.7W @ 2.4A) I smiled with glee because I knew the wavelength was higher. Sure enough, it clocks in just shy of 470nm at 469nm.
I wish I knew what mine is. Spectrometers are out of my league right now. I priced some :wtf: I swear my billfold started vibrating like a cell phone with fear :crackup:
Mine must not be near as high as yours. With a G2 I'm getting a little over 2w at 2a :(

IsaacT

Thanks for the info ! You guys teach me a little more each day ! The more I learn. The more I realize how little I know. REP +1 :beer:

I wish I knew what mine is. Spectrometers are out of my league right now. I priced some :wtf: I swear my billfold started vibrating like a cell phone with fear :crackup:
Mine must not be near as high as yours. With a G2 I'm getting a little over 2w at 2a :(

Granted my 1.7W was with a 3 element, so I would get more with a G2 lens but I like the beam specs better of the 3 ele. You might message a few people and ask if they will measure it for you. You could also email your nearest university and ask them if they would allow you to spectro your laser or if a grad student could do it for you. I cannot afford a spectrometer, but Cyparagon was nice enough to do it for me. Universities are the best if you have one near you and they are willing to help you out. Just make sure it is calibrated.

IWIRE

Granted my 1.7W was with a 3 element, so I would get more with a G2 lens but I like the beam specs better of the 3 ele. You might message a few people and ask if they will measure it for you. You could also email your nearest university and ask them if they would allow you to spectro your laser or if a grad student could do it for you. I cannot afford a spectrometer, but Cyparagon was nice enough to do it for me. Universities are the best if you have one near you and they are willing to help you out. Just make sure it is calibrated.

Thanks for the info. REP +1 :beer: We do some electrical work at one of the Universities here sometimes. That might be my in :) I don't know anyone that attends it. If not I might PM one of the members that can do it for me, when I get tired of trying to get good beam shots of it :) That thing is beautiful !
I haven't tried it with a 3 element, I have some, I'll have to try one on it.
I run a 3 element on the new 3.5w 445nm. I hate that beam with a G2. I like it with a 3 element :)
The 462nm beam really doesn't seem that bad to me. Granted I don't have the eye for beam quality that you guys have. I'm going to try a 3 element on it though :)

IsaacT

Thanks for the info. REP +1 :beer: We do some electrical work at one of the Universities here sometimes. That might be my in :) I don't know anyone that attends it. If not I might PM one of the members that can do it for me, when I get tired of trying to get good beam shots of it :) That thing is beautiful !
I haven't tried it with a 3 element, I have some, I'll have to try one on it.
I run a 3 element on the new 3.5w 445nm. I hate that beam with a G2. I like it with a 3 element :)
The 462nm beam really doesn't seem that bad to me. Granted I don't have the eye for beam quality that you guys have. I'm going to try a 3 element on it though :)

I just find I get less splash. I hate splash so it works for me. I think you get a smaller diameter beam with a g lens but as we all know divergence is inversely proportional to beam diameter. So I'll stick with the 3ele for now. I do have a g lens though, I may try it out sometime. Thanks for the rep :beer: