Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newly developed 405-diode (12x) 450mW CW

suiraM

As for green, I read an article earlier today which seems to indicate that green diodes have been successfully made in limited quantities. If so, I expect they will try to commercialize them rather quickly, and then the Chinese will start ripping them off so one can make cheaper green modules (much like you'll get a "5mW" red DX module for $1/ea nowadays).

there is a company in the US that makes small form factor green diodes. They are called snake creek lasers.

MiniGreen_A.jpg

thats a 9mm 200mW diode.

They only cost $1380 per diode....

And they're still DPSS. They're not green laser diodes, they're IR laser diodes pumping crystals to produce green laser light. It is a very small system, some of the smallest I've seen, but still DPSS.

danq

somewhere in this thread someone asked (I think) what the goal is, what need for such high power... and then GREEN came up, reminding me of RGB.

IMO cubic optical storage will dominate before long, there will be no more moving discs! still using lasers tho...

BUT - those R, G, and B lasers will still all be needed: for full-color holographic displays.

(the one I'm waiting for won't need high power though, because it'll be mounted on my glasses and project just inches from my head)

:cool:
DanQ

suiraM

Regarding the green, I think it was some article on the IEEE website.

I'm aware of the mini-DPSS modules, which are impressive, but not the same thing.

So you're saying you've seen an article about working direct-injection green laser diodes? Please, find it.

I searched, and all I could find were some articles about II-VI diodes working in the early 1990s, but there's a reason all those articles about working diodes are from the early 90s and we still don't have them now: that they don't work. The research now is on getting the III-V (III-nitrides, really) working in the green regime, and a working III-N has still yet to be made. If you've read any recent article about a working direct-injection green laser diode, I'd love to read it.

suiraM

I've probably remembered it incorrectly.

Wouldn't be the first time my memory failed me.

If you're not finding it, it's a safe bet that it's not there.

After all, there are plenty of significant applications for green.

TheMonk said:
To use as a pointer the Diode will also needs to be single-mode. :cool:

Why? Many of the red diodes are horribly multimode and they are still used in pointers!

If the 12x diodes are 450mW in pulsed mode, than it would be cool if one of us could design and build a pulsed mode driver.

I seem to remember some of the early model green lasers being pulsed.
I had one. When you moved the laser you could actually see dashes rather than a solid line, which kind of sucked.

But lasers in optical drives pulse way, way faster. After all, they are writing microscopic pits on the surface of a disk.
Couldn`t we make our pulsed drivers pulse that fast, or at least half as fast. Our eyes/brains probably wouldn`t even notice.

^Eh, likely not worth it. The damage isn't thermal with these diodes, it's optical, so heat isn't a concern either way.

As far as optical output, I believe when they list a pulsed power rating, they are talking about the instantaneous power output during the "on" period; so it's 450mW, then off, then 450mW, then off. So, averaged over time, you end up with less than that power overall. 450mW pulsed at 50% duty cycle and 225mW CW are the same net power output when looking at the dot for time scales longer than nano, and 225mW CW is a whole lot easier to make with current drivers.

Now, if the laser could survive 450mW pulsed but only 200mW CW, then pulsing would get you an overall net power increase, but I don't think that's generally been the case.

And in general, it'd be a lot more work. Maybe worth it, but definitely more work. Feel free to try it out though, it could be a cool project, and you may prove me wrong and find out things we didn't know before.

New_Reverie said:
there is a company in the US that makes small form factor green diodes.  They are called snake creek lasers.

MiniGreen_A.jpg

thats a 9mm 200mW diode.

They only cost $1380 per diode....

those are not bare diodes those are stil dpss modules