Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie questions

scarr

Hi All,

I have some side emitting fiber for display purposes, I am looking for a cheap 100mw laser module(s) R,G,B that I can use with this fiber. it has a FC connector on the fiber.

All the ones I look at are expensive! so here are my questions.

Is there a cheap supplier of ready built FC laser moduels <£40 each?
Can I use a cheap chinese 100mw module and somehow get a new lens with shorted focal point + FC connector?

Thanks

Steve

scarr

Have I asked the wrong question?

Is this not the right forum?

Is it such a stupid question everyone is rolling their eyes!

Steve

Im Greek

Have I asked the wrong question?

Is this not the right forum?

Is it such a stupid question everyone is rolling their eyes!

Steve
Rgb lasers are expensive, didint think that you can find cheap

scarr

Im Geek, thanks for the reply. Sorry think I should have made that clear R (comma) G (comma) B. so basiacally three seperate lasers :)

Steve

Here are a couple of options that took me less than a minute to find with a simple search. :)
As far as the ready made laser modules on places like ebay, you can buy a laser diode of your choice to use in the coupler and buy the same drivers as used with the modules or make your own.

Thorlabs is expensive but a good place to see what's available.

scarr

Here are a couple of options that took me less than a minute to find with a simple search. :)
As far as the ready made laser modules on places like ebay, you can buy a laser diode of your choice to use in the coupler and buy the same drivers as used with the modules or make your own.

Thorlabs is expensive but a good place to see what's available.
Hi RedCowboy,

Thanks, but I'm trying to figure out what makes FC lasers so much more expensive than a basic laser, I understand the focal point and of course the actual connector but appart from these points which I would not think adds significant cost, what else is there?

I have quotes for $90 for a 100mw FC laser, yet I can purchase a 100mw laser for $30.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I expect the higher cost is due to the lower production volume, specialty items usually come at a premium, this is just one reason why I like doing so much myself.

You can use this with our standard laser modules and M9x0.5 threaded lens barrels......G2, G8 ect....

scarr

I expect the higher cost is due to the lower production volume, specialty items usually come at a premium, this is just one reason why I like doing so much myself.
it's always hard when your knew to things, thanks for your help so far. I think one thing that I also need to understand is focus. as the laser focus point is quite close (mm's) from the end of the diode. is there a range of diodes that have such a short focus point?

Thanks

P.S. you say "our standard laser modules" can you send a link so I don't get anything wrong. thanks.

I suggested G2 or G8 but it sounds like you don't even have any experience with our common modules, also you need laser safety glasses for the wavelength you are working with.

The idea is you use the adapter I linked with a lens to focus your lasers beam into the fiber end......A note on cleaved and polished fiber ends is they are optical instruments, like a lens and must be kept clean/dry, in other words don't touch the fiber end.

You would adjust your lens focus until you got the best output ( narrow waist ) to meet up with your fiber end and the best resulting output from your fiber termination. This is a try and see then adjust and try again deal.

Honestly if you don't have any experience with lasers and if you can't tell from all that I have provided and you aren't saying to yourself " sure I can do this " then you might.....most likely, would be better off just buying a laser that's already fiber coupled because it could be difficult for a novice unless you are determined to make it work and want to learn by doing.

scarr

Hi RedCowboy,

Whilst no expert I can comprehand most things, am good at making / designing things and love to learn, but always seek advice / pointers (pardon the pun!) from more experienced people to avoid mistakes.

I get all the cleaved / polished fiber ends and have very sucesfully done this many times. I have the correct PPE, I get the need for a short focal length lens (e.g. G2) and all this needs assembling. but as with anything I always beleive you can learn more by asking (sometimes what appear basic) questions :)

So finding R,G and B laser modules with 5v drivers that are ready to recevce a G2 lens or have one fitted. Then findng a FC connector that attaches to that or making something that does is my next task.

Is there a good resourse (place) to purchase all from one place?

Thanks

You also need to think about power supply, thermal management, your mounting arrangements and is this for personal or commercial use ? You need to conciser customer/bystander safety as well, the more I think about it the better the ready made illuminators sound.

Why do you think lasers would be better than the LED illuminators made for side emitting fiber ?

The link I gave you for the edge emitting supply company has an invitation to discuss your project, I would start there and make sure you aren't doing this all the hard way as they have ready made illuminators for edge emitting fiber of all sizes, also I don't know how much laser power you will need or even how much fiber you want to light up, so maybe start by contacting the supply house and get an idea what you will need and see what they recommend.

scarr

Hi,

This is not a comercial thing, it's a costume for a festival, I originally used EL wire but this broke easily, I then found corning side emitting fiber, this is robust and bright. the total length is no more than 10m but I use differet lasers so I have a few colours.

As this is "hobby" I'm on a budget, it cost over £700 last year so with the new version I am trying to keep the costs down. I was hoping to locate the three colour lasers cheap (ebay etc) add the G2+FC connector and away I go.

I do realise there are heat issues and heatsink will be required or advisable, the retail FC lasers I used only had metal tube casings so I assume this is adequate.

Thanks for the links but they look like a retail professional outfit that will load the price too much and I am looking for cheap and DIY

Steve

Well shoot, if this is a just for fun, or costume/hobby thing, I'd imagine you could 3D print an adapter that fits over the business end of a pointer and holds the FO inline to the beam. Likely not as good as lasers with FCs, but well within the budget.
Provided you or a mate has a 3D printer...

Ha, funny you post that. I drive a Chevy Astro and came across this inside an Astro a while back. Helluva an array he's got!

Last edited:
Well shoot, if this is a just for fun, or costume/hobby thing, I'd imagine you could 3D print an adapter that fits over the business end of a pointer and holds the FO inline to the beam. Likely not as good as lasers with FCs, but well within the budget.
Provided you or a mate has a 3D printer...

Ha, funny you post that. I drive a Chevy Astro and came across this inside an Astro a while back. Helluva an array he's got!

Shaggin wagon huh.

OP said he can buy 100mw lasers for 30.00 so I gave him this link.