Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie DIY Laser Build!

Thanks again everyone! I think it's just a matter of waiting for the money to transfer into my paypal! (bah, it takes so long. :p)

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated!

lmn

I have a comment to make...

I dont want to rain on your parade or anything(or seem like the bad guy..), but, don't expect a victory on your first try. I broke a lot of diodes before i finally got one to last. I am sure if you are careful (soldering quickly, SHORTING THE CAP ON THE DRIVER!!) and taking your time, you will be fine. It is part of the DIY experience...Dont give up...It is a really really great hobby. Once you build your first, you will be addicted.

Yeah, I can vouch for that. I never fried a diode but my first DIY build I made an accidental solder bridge and turned the 80 mw bluray I was building into an 8 mw bluray pointer. What I never realized was how small the driver (12 mm x 9mm) actually is. Make sure you can solder small connections and I'd recommend buying some thin diameter solder (<1mm) because that helps a lot too.

Ohh yes, when the time comes, I'll be shooting off a bunch more questions about soldering technique, and all sorts of other stuff. ^_^

Again, thanks! I've only got some thick ol' rosin core solder that I use for general electrical soldering. Also, I might go out and pick up a new tip for my iron.. The one I've been using is pretty big.

Also probably gonna be practicing my soldering between now and when I get my stuff. haha, its been awhile.

As for mounting the modlue, look at the red link in my sig for ideas. ;)
"JB Weld" is cheap, and washers are cheaper.
Btw, you are the least noobie noob I have ever seen EVER. +1 to your rep.

Alrighty, so in my shopping cart at hightechdealz.com I have the following:

The PHR-803T Diode in an Aixiz Module

The Sure Module (mostly for the twisty end cap bit that supposedly works better!)

and the MXDL flashlight that uses AAA's.

Is there anything else you'd recommend that I grab from that website on the same order?

I'm also going to pop over to dealextreme.com and pick up a few basic things.. Like solder, 'cause I don't have any thin stuff.

Would this be okay as solder? DealExtreme: $4.97 B-1 0.8mm Solder Core Wire - 2.0% Flux (100g) Someone suggested less than 1mm thickness and thats .8mm

Anything thinner from that website is just straight up solder wire with no flux/rosin core and I've never done any soldering without rosin core solder :( It'd be a bit of a learning experience, but would I be better buying some solder and some solder goo seperately?

Yep, I know! I'm going with the flexdrive so I can use regular AAA's.

Actually its the solder that I'm most concerned about now. LOL.

I wouls suggest that yiou use a small diameter Flux cored Solder...
I use 0.020" diameter solder in the shop...
The 0.8mm solder is a bit bigger than that but still good...

The only problem with DX is that it will take quite a while for your solder to arrive..
If you want to build your laser sooner.. you should try to find some locally...
or at least in the USA...
You may also want to get some Solder Flux Paste or Liquid....

Jerry

haha, I think I can deal with the delay in shipping. :p

Also.. I've only got some big ol' soldering iron bits. They also sell these at dealextreme:

DealExtreme: $3.97 30W Lead-Free Soldering Iron Tips (4-Tip Set)

Do you think those would suffice?
Also.. Total newb question but they have 3 different types. 30, 40 and 60W? haha. I have a variable wattage iron.. What is the difference with the tips? The 60W ones look bigger to me. Im guessing I should just get the 30W ones.. and if I do, will they be small enough to do this kind of delicate work?

Alright i'm going to go down the list and try to answer anything i can....You sure like to talk it seems!

Host - flashlight hosts are not required by any means, but have you ever tried to carry around a big plastic project box from radio shack in your pocket? They ae just very convenient, they give us a switch, battery holder, and a place to hold the heatsink diode module and drive.

How does it all fit together? - There arte many different hosts which are built very different.
but **USUALLY**, you'll have the body of your "host" which contains the flashlight (and most of the hosts use have a tail click switch)

So once you get above the batteries alot of time you'll have an area where the stock drive was once at on the original flashlight, This usually gets all of it's components ripped off and a new driver soldered into it. Then basicly the rest of the space from above the driver to the top of the flashlight is filled in by an aluminum heatsink that is machined to perfectly (almost) fit the inside of the host.

The heatsinks will have a 12mm hole for the module to slide into, and then there will be another threaded hole for a set screw, the set screw is screw down onto the module and holds it into place.

Drivers - With the host your use, you COULD use the cheaper micro-drive. You can buy batteries at hightechdealz that output 3.6v, but are the same size as AAA, you would simply use two of those and just use a dummy battery on the third slot of the battery holder.

when it comes to burning power, a red LPC-815 diode will easily outburn PHR-803t diode...
UNLESS of course your trying to burn something light in color....like skin hehe
blu-ray VS red on black foam - Red wins
blu-ray VS red on white paper - blu-ray wins.

But i guess if you wanted to solve this problem you could build a 400mW 8x blu-ray laser and then burn whatever the hell you wanted.

Hi Fishbulb, when you finish your project, if you're interested in the mW output of your laser, I'd be more than happy to put it on my LASERBEE I DELUXE LPM for you, for only the cost of S&H. I live in INDIANA, so if that's OK with you, just let me know. PS, welcome to our LASER FAMILY FORUM...................just rob