Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbi Questions

cris

Hello all,

I've been looking up lasers for a few months and seem to have run into a dead end. I'm looking for information on those old laser pointers from probably 15 years ago. They had attachment lens's that could make pictures or messages on the wall. My questions is what that is called... a diffraction lens? That's the closest i have come up with but no Google searches for diffraction lens's have provided the results i need.

The end goal is a cheep laser that can produce my company's logo on the wall during daylight. And do it safely. I know that might sound cheesy but for my application it will work great.

Further questions.

I'm also looking for a company who can produce such lens's/lasers.
whats the best color for daylight?
whats the best power i need it to be seen but not a safety hazard?
would an LED be cheaper or more effective?
lastly does anyone know a good place that can provide a working prototype once i have the specifications down?

Any help is appreciated.

~cris

Last edited:

Hello all,

I've been looking up lasers for a few months and seem to have run into a dead end. I'm looking for information on those old laser pointers from probably 15 years ago. They had attachment lens's that could make pictures or messages on the wall. My questions is what that is called... a diffraction lens? That's the closest i have come up with but no Google searches for diffraction lens's have provided the results i need.

They are called diffraction gratings or star
caps.

The end goal is a cheep laser that can produce my company's logo on the wall during daylight. And do it safely. I know that might sound cheesy but for my application it will work great.

A custom grating will cost hundreds of
dollars at the very least. It can be done,
but it's a matter of hunting down a company
that can/will do it for you. A projector
would be easier, look better, and possibly
be cheaper.

Further questions.

Green

There is no simple answer to that
question. Since this is a projection, we
are talking power DENSITY and it depends
how large, what type, and how close
untrained individuals can get to the source.

Yes, most likely yes, and definitely safer
with less legal issues/restrictions.

lastly does anyone know a good place that can provide a working prototype once i have the specifications down?

There are members here who have built
projectors and can help you out.

Last edited:
Nevermind....

Goodluck bud always like seeing folks taking an interest in such a promising field and hobby.

Last edited:
The projector idea seems best to me for two reasons, easy to do and the effect will be awesome, if you could somehow position it to where someone can't get in front of it. The diffraction grating could work, finding someone to make custom gratings is also an awesome idea, if you can, but I believe a projector would do a far more beautiful job and have multicolor options you won't get otherwise.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Further questions.

I'm also looking for a company who can produce such lens's/lasers.

Any help is appreciated.

~cris
Im a noob here but those little cat toy lasers that cost about 3 quid come with a few different lenses like a mouse,smiley face etc. Yo could always get one of those and look at the extra lenses. See how they work. Thats the bet I got. Good luck.

Im a noob here but those little cat toy lasers that cost about 3 quid come with a few different lenses like a mouse,smiley face etc. Yo could always get one of those and look at the extra lenses. See how they work. Thats the bet I got. Good luck.

After 3 years, finally an answer. Thanks for closing the case on this. :tired:

Reactions: GSS