Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newb needs help

Snecho

Yes. Most of the common DPSS wavelengths you'll see around LPF such as 473, 589 or 593.5 all depend on IR light to generate the final output. When compared to a 532 however they require a much stronger IR pump diode to generate equal power output, due to a less efficient process.

If anyone would like further interesting reading, it is also possible to achieve
404 from direct doubling of an 808 pump diode, although much more costly than a 405 laser. :)

-Alex
Well said Hap. Now I know!

Does that mean those exotic WLs also need an IR filter because they leak IR? And I assume they leak a higher percentage of IR due to the stronger Infrared diode?

That 404nm seems cooool

Last edited:

Well said Hap. I now I know!

Does that mean those exotic WLs also need an IR filter because they leak IR? And I assume they leak a higher percentage of IR due to the stronger Infrared diode?

That 404nm seems cooool

Yes. They would all require an IR filter to prevent any IR leakage. Not sure about the % of IR they would leak being higher or lower than a standard 532.

Yeah! 404 is interesting, but it is almost never talked about. Honestly, the color is identical to a standard 405 and the only reason I could see someone investing the funds for a 404 would be beam characteristic I believe. :)

-Alex

Snecho

Yeah! 404 is interesting, but it is almost never talked about. Honestly, the color is identical to a standard 405 and the only reason I could see someone investing the funds for a 404 would be beam characteristic I believe. :)

-Alex
Probably because the webpage dedicated to that wavelength gives an error message... 🤣

GSS

Swyvel, these are 3 of my laser's going on 4 or 5 years from Lifetime17 with 2 having a M140 and 1 having a PLTB450B1 diode. All doing 2W and more.
I'm guessing these are close to what host Lifetime17 has in mind.. These are 501B hosts and fit a nice size heatsink which is a nice match for any laser doing 2W to 3W.
Things to consider, Thor type lasers use a brass heatsink which isn't the best metal for heat transfer.
Lifetime17 uses a initial copper module, which presses into the final aluminum heatsink. He uses a XD or SXD driver which is top notch..

Attachments

• IMG_20191103_045831.jpg
    IMG_20191103_045831.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

No problem man, I'm used to lightning fast texting platforms as well. :) I was just giving you a heads up because the other members really appreciate it. I mean who likes a messy forum? :) No harm done.

So for the laser...

What you want is a Wicked Lasers Arctic. It's one of the most high quality, well priced, and all around reliable 1W-3.5W blue lasers out there. And made by a very trustworthy company.
That's a joke btw :)

Leaving the fact that I just caused most of the people reading this thread to have a stroke, what is your price range? If you are dead set on the high powered laser being high quality and reliable, you're gonna need to spend a decent bit more.
You got me in the first part with the 'Wicked Lasers Arctic. It's one of the most high quality, well priced, and all around reliable 1W-3.5W blue lasers out there.' thank god you also said
have seen a lot of horror stories about the arctic but back on topic now. If you want a *low*power laser (450nm) I can send you a parts list for a 200-300mw one. Its from a guy that wanted such laser and so I put a parts list together. its super simple to put together just have to solder a blank bat contact board into a brass ring and then 2 wires to that. It utilizes a module from dtr and its in a Sl c6 host making it very compact and only needing a single 18650 for power , You could go with that just pm me for the parts list and feel free to hit me up here on in discord if you want clarification But since you are a beginner I recommend strongly to go with lifetime17 and have him build you a laser. For goggles go with an eagle pair from SL. My discord is Giannis_TDM#6477

tmoney321

I initially bought 3 of the 532nm 303 style lasers on eBay as a starting point as others have mentioned. I personally consider them expendable because they are ~$9 without a battery/charger combo. I bought them from 3 different sellers and the outputs are about the same. One is slightly brighter than the others but if I had to guess I would say they are around 50-80 mW. Its hard to estimate output without a meter so just a ballpark. I think its a good place to start while deciding on your first Class 4 laser. Welcome to the forum and GL!

Reactions: GSS

Swyvel

Swyvel, these are 3 of my laser's going on 4 or 5 years from Lifetime17 with 2 having a M140 and 1 having a PLTB450B1 diode. All doing 2W and more.
I'm guessing these are close to what host Lifetime17 has in mind.. These are 501B hosts and fit a nice size heatsink which is a nice match for any laser doing 2W to 3W.
Things to consider, Thor type lasers use a brass heatsink which isn't the best metal for heat transfer.
Lifetime17 uses a initial copper module, which presses into the final aluminum heatsink. He uses a XD or SXD driver which is top notch..
I'm considering the thor cause they're offering PayPal credit and seems affordable. How much is the lifetime17 lasers? Power and shipping and all that fun stuff.
You got me in the first part with the 'Wicked Lasers Arctic. It's one of the most high quality, well priced, and all around reliable 1W-3.5W blue lasers out there.' thank god you also said
have seen a lot of horror stories about the arctic but back on topic now. If you want a *low*power laser (450nm) I can send you a parts list for a 200-300mw one. Its from a guy that wanted such laser and so I put a parts list together. its super simple to put together just have to solder a blank bat contact board into a brass ring and then 2 wires to that. It utilizes a module from dtr and its in a Sl c6 host making it very compact and only needing a single 18650 for power , You could go with that just pm me for the parts list and feel free to hit me up here on in discord if you want clarification But since you are a beginner I recommend strongly to go with lifetime17 and have him build you a laser. For goggles go with an eagle pair from SL. My discord is Giannis_TDM#6477
And as far as wicked lasers those guys both seem overpriced and wont ship to america anyway

GSS

I'm considering the thor cause they're offering PayPal credit and seems affordable. How much is the lifetime17 lasers? Power and shipping and all that fun stuff.

And as far as wicked lasers those guys both seem overpriced and wont ship to america anyway
I believe he mentioned something from $80 to $100.
2W minimum at least with a M140 diode. Shipping probably small box priority or first class..
I can't speak for him but just give him a PM.. There's no commitment by just messaging him. ;) He's a nice guy and as built for tons of members..
With China Mail service just about in standstill for now I push Lifetime17 because he's in the US, 2 or 3 days shipping, he uses brand new diodes, top notch drivers and if anything were to go wrong, you are covered and he will always take care of you..
Take a look at his Sales thread from the first post and you will see..