Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to this site and lasers!

Surly

I found this site while researching the specifics on constructing a burning laser based on the tutorial put out titled Burning Laser Hack.  I'm certain that you are all familiar with it and I want one and I want to do it right.

I was most intrigued by this post laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1188648680 and how Senkat replied to it...that's why I went ahead and registered.  I'll also be buying a few of your LD's next week when I get the cash freed up, Senkat. ;)

I primarily hang out at gun related sites (I moderate on one too) and I was glad to see someone that doesn't own a firearm stand up for me owning them.  Although I do have alot of guns, I don't have any lasers integrated into their sighting, as lasers work both ways especially with any night vision.  I build pistols and rifles too and take on various projects for the sake of learning.

I have learned a few things regarding what I need to do to construct this one right (like not directly wiring the LD to the batteries), but I want to cover all bases with the circuitry and safety equipment (something I never though of with a laser).  I guess my first question is: Which forum do I start in for this particular application?  Thanks! :cool:    

Welcome to the forum! For building lasers, check out the Experiments and Mods section for a bunch of tips on building lasers.

Things

welcome to the forum! ;) glad you have allready learn't probably the most vital thing for building a laser, don't hook it directly to batteries!

S

SenKat

things said:
welcome to the forum! ;) glad you have allready learn't probably the most vital thing for building a laser, don't hook it directly to batteries!

You missed it, Things - he learned hte SAFETY aspect first...to me, and hopefully to the majority of forum members (yes, mate - including YOU !) that is the case...and hopefully that all important lesson is learned prior to it becoming hindisght :(

Hind-sight is 20/20, but fore-sight is BETTER.

hey Surly, welcome to LPF!! jumping right in at the deep end with building your own laser i see... hehehe... i believe purple (405nm) lasers are even less visible than cheap red (650nm) lasers? if this were the case, perhaps that would be a better colour to use for gun sights at night, no visible beam at all - although a little harder to see? then again, i've noticed that many gun sights are 635nm, which... well, even my <5mW 635nm pointer has a visible beam at night, unlike my <5mW 650nm.

Surly

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and pointers (no pun). :) I have some catching up to do with background info and whatnot.

I would like to address marianne directly by saying check some of your lasers when looking through some night vision equipment. They all become visible just like in the movies to the point where you can see the beam. I haven't tried it with the digital night vision that's on the market, but even the Gen.1 Rusky stuff detects the beam. It's pretty cool looking to say the least.

I'm also looking into using a CD burner diode to retrofit into a weapon sight for a friend of mine that has NVG's. I was fascinated with lasers after the first Terminator movie in the '80's and I plan on making a cheesy retro sight like the one in the first movie. ;D

Things

well i don't think you have been looking hard enough, i reckon there is now DIY threads here than anything!