Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to the forum-Greetings from SWFL

Greetings all.
After purchasing a cheap green “burning” laser that died after three days of use, I decided to investigate what constitutes a real laser pointer.

I ran accross this forum and my “inner bookworm” kicked in. I spent several days reading info on diodes, drivers, etc.... I finally felt comfortable enough to purchase the parts to assemble a laser pointer myself.

I contacted Survival Lasers and have since put together two pointer that are still working (makes me ��):
C6 host with an M140 diode and stock 1.8amp driver
S4x host with a NUBM05 diode and a SL adjustable driver

I did learn about setting the amperage of the driver when the diode on the S4x burned bright and then immediately dimmed. Apparently I didn’t pay enough attention (too excited to put things together) to properly set up the driver! I found the solution on your forum and dialed the amperage back and now it is rock steady.

I �� forward to talking with all of you and continuing to learn more about the �� of portable lasers.
✌️

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, Brewster! ✌

Glad to see that you didn't kill your diode. :D

PS - You may also want to put your general location in your profile.

Last edited:

BobMc

Two for two, your looking good. Welcome to the forum, enjoy and be safe. :wave:

Hmm.
First post in welcome thread, check.
General location filled out, check.
Doing research instead of needlessly creating threads, check and +REP.
Don't let the laser bug bite too hard. It loves draining bank accounts.

Thanks all!

#CynicalBrad - my wife already asked me why I’m getting into lasers. I told her it was powered by electrons! She said “that makes sense”.

Photonaholics anonymous? I’ll let you know!

I am going back to school in January and need a place to “rest my brain”, so lasers, and all things powered by electrons, are going to be my “mental relaxation”for at least the next two years.

Welcome to the LPF, Brewster. I wonder how you set the current on the adjustable driver that sounds like it nearly killed your diode. You should not just turn the pot down until the beam is stable. Drivers are constant current devices and need to be set for a particular current before being attached to the laser diode. We use dummy loads to approximate a laser diode and measure the voltage drop across a sense resistor to convert the voltage drop to a current through the string. Good luck with your new hobby and learn all you can.