Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to lasers! Got a few questions.

Okay, well im RELATIVELY new to lasers. I've had some red and green lasers but nothing above 5mW. Except for one time but thats a whole nother story... Anyways, i was looking to buy a Rayfoss 50mW Green laser, and the Green laser glasses they sell, and i figured after some reading on this sight that i will be perfectly safe, and probably safe even without the glasses. No i will not let my friends use this without glasses on, because i dont wanna be responsible. Now i just wanna know if this is a smart start for me, and if i can burn some stuff with this. Maybe light some matches, cut some tape, and shine at stuff. The laser has a keyswitch so its legal in the US, and i wont shine it at airplanes or at anything i shouldnt. Am i good?

Welcome!

50mW will be very bright compared to what you say you have been used to. Burning
power will be on the low side, but using a samll magnifing lens should get the laser to
do the basic burning tricks. If you really want to do some burning, 100mW will offer
some good fun, or perhaps changing to a different wavelength for even more power.

You should be fine. Even with 50mW though, don't let it reflect into your eyes off of a shiny surface -- and certainly don't stare right at it.. But as far as looking at the spot, beams in the sky, etc - yes I'd say 50mW is a good place to start.

Cool, well i was also looking at the Violet laser, thats 50mW, but i couldn't find any glasses for it. And would it be worth it to just upgrade to 100mW?

If you want to do burning, yes. You'd probably get the 50 and wish you went to 100 anyways. :) And the brightness really will be impressive - just be more careful.

Violet , while an interesting color and a great burner, doesn't look too impressive as far as brightness goes, for the same power, however. Our eyes aren't too sensitive to it. So, really, green is the best of both worlds.

What about a 100mW Violet from o like? Also i have Oakley glasses that have photocromic lenses. Would that block anything. Google if u dont know what photocromic is.

nevermind, i wanna get the green 100mW from rayfross. It has the key which i like, and il just get their glasses. Is this ok?

100mW of violet will burn nicely, but as said before, it will not produce any real visible
beam, and of course theres the whole blurry looking dot deal. Green is the way to go
for a truely impressive beam.

Moptsp

nevermind, i wanna get the green 100mW from rayfross. It has the key which i like, and il just get their glasses. Is this ok?

100mw of 405nm will usually burn better than 100mw of 532nm. But for your "first" high powered laser, I say 532nm all the way. It should light matches at close distances.

Also, you don't have to get one with a key switch if you don't want it. I don't believe rayfoss sells any FDA certified lasers, so it doesn't make a difference. From a safety or wanting stand point, I would say get it, but from a legal stand point it's no different than their others without a key switch.

A laser could have every safety feature and still be illegal to import into the US. It has to be passed by the FDA and given a number before it is legal, I believe.

Good luck!

LSRFAQ

What about a 100mW Violet from o like? Also i have Oakley glasses that have photocromic lenses. Would that block anything. Google if u dont know what photocromic is.

Photochromic needs 290-300 nm UV to darken, they darken slowly and will not protect you against a laser hit because they are slow to darken, nor are they optically dense enough to block the energy.

Steve

The laser has a keyswitch so its legal in the US.
To own, yes. To import, no. They also need a delay on startup, an aperture cover, an indicator LED, and an interlock thing, IIRC, to be legal to import. (Unless laws have changed that is) 99% sure you'll still get your laser though.

Moptsp

To own, yes. To import, no. They also need a delay on startup, an aperture cover, an indicator LED, and an interlock thing, IIRC, to be legal to import. (Unless laws have changed that is) 99% sure you'll still get your laser though.

Don't quote me, but I think they have changed. For the good. I believe now you only need an interlock and an LED indicator.
It still stands that the FDA has to approve it. You would not be able to add the safety features and it just be approved.

Though again, I'm not sure if these law changes are true. Might could find it somewhere on the FDA website, but their layout just confuses me. xD

Well
Thanks very much That's Good
You should be fine. Even with 50mW though, don't let it reflect into your eyes off of a shiny surface -- and certainly don't stare right at it.. But as far as looking at the spot, beams in the sky, etc - yes I'd say 50mW is a good place to start.

I've just got a 100mW greenie from Rayfoss, even came with free Glasses (Thanks for them Faona) it burns matches, pops baloons and burns electrical tape etc, I'm quite pleased with it, can even see the beam thru the day indoors :p