Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to green lasers.

Is it possible to replace the IR pump diode in a 5 mw laser with a much more powerfull one, to try to get more power out of it?  Can the crystal handle it?  If it can be done, how do I begin doing it?

Don't get me wrong, I have the tools and some knowledge on other types of lasers, but I just want to see if it is possible to buy a cheap 5mw green laser, and then turn it into something great. Like 50mW or more?

You might be able to squeeze 20-50mW out of the crystal set from a 5mW pointer by increasing the pump power, but I wouldn't count on it. Usually, all the modules from 5mW to 30mW from any given manufacturer are identically assembled. As they are each powered up for the first time (at the factory) the power output of each is recorded and they are separated into their respective power groups. The power output achieved by each module is ultimately decided by a few factors including alignment, pump diode stability and crystal quality. If a module falls into the 5mW category, it is usually due to a problem with one of these factors. If the reason is poor crystal quality, then all the pump power in the world won't lead to any increase in output. If the reason is due to poor alignment or poor pump-diode stability then you stand a decent shot at being able to get a higher output just by upping the pump power.. I'd say that anything above 25mW would be just plain luck, however.. Above 50mW would most likely be impossible.

You could always try, but a high powered 808nm diode would probably cost more than an LEDshoppe 50mW laser.