Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New! Sharp Diodes 1W 520nm & 5W 455nm & +2W 638nm

IDK about that. The lower power diodes we got could be pushed much higher than the spec sheet indicated. I'm interested in that green 520nm that might do up to 1 watt. Glad to know that the seller seems legit.

I'm curious about the fac lens. Is it coming with some kind of attachment or is it built in to the diode itself?

Yes, FAC lens is attached to diode..
Yesterday I posted those FAC corrected diodes to Ebay thread and someone bought all green ones

PLD-FAC-Optics.png

The 4w blue with FAC lens could be very good, make a good tight beam, but if they didn't put the proper backfill gas under the can then it will likely fail early, also wonder what collimating lens will work best, what FL we would need after the FAC or is it good enough to just add a beam expander ?

Yes the greens would survive well even without any backfill, I'm interested to see the beam profile.

Last edited:
The 4w blue with FAC lens could be very good, make a good tight beam, but if they didn't put the proper backfill gas under the can then it will likely fail early, also wonder what collimating lens will work best, what FL we would need after the FAC or is it good enough to just add a beam expander ?

Yes the greens would survive well even without any backfill, I'm interested to see the beam profile.
You would still need a lens, the FAC only corrects one axis and it doesn't collimate either axis...

You would still need a lens, the FAC only corrects one axis and it doesn't collimate either axis...

Yep, absolutely true, don't know why I said that..........so somebody grabbed all the greens.....LOL........Hopefully more are under way, I would expect so, also interested in the new 700mw sharp 520nm but it ( the sharp diode ) will still have one axis that diverges more rapidly even though it is supposed to have better divergence than the 03/7475 making these FAC 03's the real winner, more MW as well.

I had to get one of these 4w 455nm with the FAC..........I don't know if these are N brand factory which would be really nice, if so these could be really special, just add a coli lens and beam expander then enjoy. :)

I wish the seller would show photo's of the FAC lens in front of the emitter to confirm this. He doesn't have much feedback, but appears to have been selling for longer than I thought with that low a number of FB reports.

Last edited:
Seller says they're NUBM08's..

Yea I just saw that on the spec sheet, well dam, maybe my new 73.00 recapped 08 will last ..............LOL, of course I suppose they could have used an inert gas under the window cans......but I am not very hopeful.

For about the same amount of drive current the NUGM03 is 5% less power than the NDG7475. Here's a comparison of close to the same amount output power without the FAC, in these photo's you can see the 03 requires about 250 mA more current to produce about 1.25 watts of output power but is really worse as the FAC would cause 5% additional loss.

If the indicated current is accurate between these two different power supplies, in total, that's 10 percent less power from the FAC corrected NUGM03 total right from the start, but for so much less divergence without the complexity and expense of adding an external cylinder pair with additional loss too, I believe the NUGM03 with the FAC lens to be well worth it.

Unfortunately, if I understand correctly (???) the NUGM03 cannot be pushed as hard as the NDG7475, so it is more limited for total output power but we can't see ~10-20% difference in the beam brilliance anyway and the FAC corrected diode would look far better due to the beam being so much tighter.

I've asked the seller if they can put a FAC on the NDG7475 (not in production now, would need to be the NDG7575) laser diode, they do this work themselves and answered with the following:

Dear Chris,

Sorry, we don't have the NDG7475/7575 with FAC.
Actually, as we know, NDG7475 is stop production status, only NDG7575 is available right now.

BTW, the diodes you ordered has better performance at power and wavelength. That's the reason why we use this diodes.

Best Regards,
Sabrina

Last edited:
Also I believe the 7475 is 520nm while the 03 is 525nm which should make it slightly brighter per mw
Yes the FAC on the 1w greens should be a great improvement and the greens at only 1w output seem to survive de-canned, of course he puts a window can on them but the backfill gas is gone, not an issue for the greens but for the multi watt blues.................

Also not all diodes are created equal, some will even be freaks, so the small difference in DTR's test doesn't mean much unless repeated over a larger number of samples, also as a line is produced they seem to evolve slightly as the production process is honed, in short I wouldn't pay extra for the 7475 as it will have been de-canned to install the FAC which is not really an issue for the greens, but also not an added value in this case.

Last edited:
They answered another question about the backfill and indicated they refill with an inert gas when capping.

Dear Chris,

Yes, we add the lens by ourselves.
And your understanding is right, we have inert gas in side the cap before we seal the cap. We have done more than one month (24h*30days) reliability test on this diode, it worked well, power degradation is less than 5%.

Happy new year!

Best Regards,
Sabrina

Last edited:
Appears you are right on with that info Robert, here's another response from her, I gave her a link to this thread and it appears she already looked in:

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your sharing!
I believe your test data is no problem.

We did test on more than 1000pcs Nugm03 single diodes. We found the power distribution of Nugm03 single LD is between 800mw and 1150mw @Iop=1.6A, Tc=25℃.

The power of NDG7475 is better than NDG7575, close to Nugm03 single diode, power difference should be around 5% @average, I think.

Best Regards,
Sabrina

That's good news about the backfill gas being added back !

I will test the 4w 445 FAC when I get it and look for your results with the green, I have several 1w green builds but I have long wanted to correct that bar shaped spot, if these FAC diodes have a clean output and perform well then I will have to buy some more and the blues will be nice for PBS combining, no need to use c-lens pairs afterward and could also skip the rotator, just turn one 90 degrees and align the 2 beams to the cube, I still have that host you sent and if these are 08 diodes then they should do 6w @ 4.5a with any loss from the optic so 2 combined should be good for about 12w

Will test and report when I receive my 1st of these. :)

Last edited: