Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new pics using lasers and water 1/5/18

It has been a while since I photographed my lasers interacting with water, so here are some of my first attempts of doing this. I started out with 5 drinking glasses of water. In the past I had used very thin glass containers for water, but these glasses hold more water and have circular ribs going from the top to bottom and this is why I tried these to see what type of patterns they would create. After a few shots I realized I am not going to get the effect I was after so I started to use my 5 gallon aquarium. My biggest problem with this sequence was air bubbles on the glass in the tank. I was able to most of them out by wiping the glass but many of these shots look rough and sloppy to me, but a learning experience moving forward on what not to do. I then tried some with a reflective fan diffraction grating at the bottom of the tank and those pics came out better. I have since photographed this set up by adding glass cubes and spheres in the tank and that is what I will continue to work on the next few weeks. Enjoy

DSC_1353_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1350_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1359_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1358_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1362_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1363_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1372_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1376_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1385_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1396_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1401_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1404_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1405_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1407_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1411_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1417_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1421_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1434_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1441_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_1450_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Very nice, Bruce, now you've went and made me thirsty. :beer:
I really like the very first one in this series of photos, simple, yet elegant! :kewlpics:

Good looking shots with the tank. Kinda reminds me of a GIF I saw a while ago of a laser going through fiber optic:

E6gzvKx.gif

Thanks Bowtie & Laserbee!

Electroplasma- Pretty cool looking. I have gotten good at controlling how the beams look when going thru water or glass. Here is a pic from the batch I took a week later of 405 beams going thru fan diffraction gratings, one from the left, one from the right, and one from up above projecting downward into the water and onto the glass in the tank. The 405 is visible(barely) on the outside, when it strikes the water it looks 473ish and when in the glass spheres it is green. I took quite of pics of 405nms going thru the water with gratings and with three individual beams at various angles. It looks so cool as the water glows. I will post them eventually

DSC_1511_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

Very good first attempt, Bruce. I was thinking you might get better results using pure mineral oil instead of water. There are some birefringent liquids that would give unusual results too. I see what you mean about the bubbles. They make the liquid and aquarium sides look messy. Might try some optical grade polyethylene glycol too.

Oh my.... Those pictures you took are FANTASTIC!!! :drool:

I personally love your pictures with the rainbow on your ceiling (1404, 1407, 1411), but I think the one where you have all the colors shining through the top and sides (1396) is my favorite. It reminds me of the street lights and the other vibrant glows of a city during a light rain where the light reflects of wet surfaces like the ground and cars.

Your work is inspiring brucemir. And it makes me jealous that I don't have the set up to make something like this.... yet ;)

tommy

Great beautiful pictures brucemir, thanks for sharing.

I have noticed you create stars by using a magic mirror. May I know what that is?

Thanks Paul, RB, Redcowboy, Waffailtrager and Tommy!

Paul - Years ago I tried using olive oil to shoot through. I would like to try to use mineral oil in the future. Soon I hope

Tommy - I think the effect you are talking about is the dots/stars on the ceiling. If so they were created with diffraction gratings, which take one beam and create many in a "fan" pattern.

Waff - I started about 5 1/2 years ago with one laser and no other equipment. Over time if you get the bug, you will invest (or build) in whatever you need to create whatever is in your imagination

Last edited:

tommy

Thanks brucemir. I guess you use different diffraction gratings? because some are "fan" pattern in a line, and some are just like star caps. it should have more knowledge in it:)

tommy

thanks for your sharing brucemir, you are absolutely an optics genius. :beer:

Hi Tommy,
Yes there are different types. I also have the star caps but fan gratings are the ones I use the most. They are glass and from Dragonlasers. For the price they are the best I have come across

Laser Beam Splitters - Diffraction Gratings

I also have ones made from film

Are your DL gratings actually glass or are they a plastic film adhered to glass? I got one when I ordered a 589nm spartan a while back and was expecting the grating itself to be glass instead of just adhered to glass.

Nice pics as always. Will look forward to what you release next as always.