Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

JROD

Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum. I'm from Boston, MA and just started getting into lasers.

I recently built a laser buring circuit that consisted of a 445nm 1W Blue Ray laser diode press fit into a 12mm x 30mm Aixiz module (I have this module in a heat sink). My drive circuit was a rather crude breadboard circuit. My power supply was a little overkill and I had to attach a bigger heat sink to the LM317chip I was using. But I was able to ignite matches and paper, and also burn into wood and PVC material. I made a video but you need VLC media player to view...I have someone working on converting the file so you can view with Windows media player...I will post once ready.

I have done a bit of research (there is a lot to lasers!!) and am completely aware of the dangers of working with lasers...first thing I purchased was safety glasses recommended for the wavelength range I was working with.

I want to take this to the next level and build a laser that can burn into metal :drool: (more specifically...copper). I'm still working on calculating the absorption rate of copper and trying to determine what the beam wavelength and intensity needs to be. I realize there is way more to it than this but this thread is already ridiculously long. Basically I'm hoping this forum will aid in my research. I realize there is a ton of knowledge and experience with the veteran laser users in this group.

At this point, I'm unsure about whether I want to use a fiber laser or a Nd-YAG laser. Everything I've seen so far points to the fiber laser (CO2 laser is also possibility but I'm looking for something smaller than a CO2). I'm also still abit unsure of how much power I will need.

I apologize in advance for my lack of laser knowledge or if I ask any dumb questions. I'm def a noob. Any advice I can get from this forum would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Burning,
JROD

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

You might be interested in this Thread..

http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/my-holiday-project-diy-laser-cutter-58283.html

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

jrod,
glad to see you accepted my invite..nice intro-- thats the way to do one.

enjoy the forums hak (Len)

JROD

Thanks for turning me on to this forum. There is a lot of great info in here and also good resources for buying products.

I'll let you know when I make more progress.

Hi and welcome to LPF.
Looks like you are playing it smart and safe already. Well done.

Usually the CO2 are used for your needs but it will be interesting to hear how you go with it.

See you around.
:wave:

JROD

Thanks Shorty

I am leaning more towards using CO2 laser now. Cost is MUCH less than fiber laser.

A lot of good info in this forum for CO2 lasers. I need to do a little more research to figure out how much power i will need before I buy one...but it looks like CO2 is the way to go.

I will post once I make more progress:thanks: