Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New member, but been browsing here a while!

Nute

Hello, my name is Harrell. I am a new member, but I have been browsing here for a while. I would like to start off by saying I love lasers, but know very little about them. I am here wanting to learn, so please teach me. My first somewhat decent laser was the cheap Laser 301 via Ebay. I know this isn't a great laser, but it helped to introduce me into the world of quality lasers I have seen on these forums. I hope to buy/build something of the quality I've seen some of you nice gentlemen show here on LPF.

With that being said. I have searched the forums for 2 days for a "fix" if you will, for my Laser 301. I recently scratched the lens while cleaning it with a micro fiber cloth, unknown to me that my dear wife used to wipe something abrasive off the table (apparently). The little Chinese laser has been good to me for over a year now, and if someone could give me an idea as to what I can replace the lens with it would be greatly appreciated. However, I have stripped it completely down to the bare host, and would also be open to a build if someone would offer me a budget friendly tutorial. I prefer green an blue, in any spectrum in regards to the nm, so I'm not terribly picky.

If the host is not suitable for a proper build, I am open to any budget friendly build. I am now more interested more in building a laser, due to the large amount of rechargeable 18650's, and 16340's I've acquired over the last year (all 1200 to 3800 MAH).

Thank you guys for having me here, and thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Greetings!

If you'd be so kind to post some pictures of the disassembled thing, I could easily suggest a module or two that you could install into it and have it work reliably.

Sounds like you like tinkering with stuff, you'll fit right in here :D

If you need any further help, see the blue line in my signature, and

Welcome to LPF!

Nute

Thanks for the welcome guys! Yes!!! I love tinkering/building stuff. I enjoy putting things together, and learning new things. Kind of addictive.

1. Barrel Cap

2. Barrel Housing

3. Focusing Barrel / Lens

4. Diode / Module / Driver (module is 12mm)

5. Host Body (12mm 1/4 inch aluminum "heat sink")

6. Extension tube

7. Tail Cap

8. Key

A drop in module / diver / diode would be lovely, but I will settle for what ever suggestion you give me. I would like to see 100mw+ but not a absolutely necessary. I have the batteries to run from 3.7 to 7.4v if need be. I appreciate the help more than I can express, and if given a budget friendly build for this I will make a step by step tutorial for any new users to follow if you would like.

Last edited:
Oh, cool. I sell a heatsink for this host, but it's kind of fiddly to put a build together.

Look up in my shop for "Classic" host heatsink. It's a two-piece direct pressfit heatsink. You have basic instructions there, if you need more detailed one, feel free to ask me. I'll do my best to help you out.

That's, of course, if you want to build a diode build (violet/blue/ direct green /red).

If you wanna swap out the module, you need a 12mm green module bought somewhere. I do not know of any sufficiently reliable sources, but basically any green module that "looks" like the one you got will do. It's fitting it that's a minor annoyance, it's a pressfit, which means you need a vice or something to press the module in.

Last edited:

Nute

Last edited:
See Harrel- you get help quick here when you ask nice--
& 'Eud' gives great advice- a very trusted vet here-
you should +rep him for that--it wont change his rep score but the comment left is an extra way to say thanks-

actually after your intro
(+6 from me for that)
you fix help would have been better as a new thread in the right section--not everybody reads the welcome threads every day--

brb

ps
any 12mm module I know of will work on one or two of your batteries-

diff will be in case positive or neg-

most blues and BRs like over 7vdc- while the others can run on 3.7-
this is where you will need help if buying diodes and drivers as there are more than one 'kind'.

pm coming

Last edited:

Nute

Thank you for that! Your advice is greatly appreciated!

you are very welcome-

your fix/help questions would have been better as a new thread in the right section--not everybody reads the welcome threads every day-- "

-- so using the correct section is better-- if you are unsure (happens a lot to all) just do a search on the topic- then click some and see what section they are in- that is near the top- right before the thread-- like this 'Laser Pointers > Newcomers > Welcome' thus the thread you are on ATM is from the Welcome section. Its better to make the intro just that an intro- other topics like repairs etc should be in thier own thread in the right sectio to get you the quickest help-- If its about a blue 445 laser - we have a section (or forum) just for them- to see all the sections click LPF at the top in the LPF logo-

each section you click will open with MANY stickied threads- a great idea is to go from the top - visit EACH section and at least scan the stickies- you may need to find them later-

MANY questions would NEVER be posted here if the OP just went to the right section and check the stickies- if you find nothing ...you can narrow your search by searching just THAT section instead of the entire forum . Or change search terms- another super source of laser fundementals is Sam's Laser FAQ- I have spent (I bet) 20 hours reading at Sam's-- he is the keeper of the Laser Bible and the wealth of info is the lifelong work of Dr Sam and many of his freinds-- no ads- not super easy to navigate but its there and will be forever-- all you ever want to know about old school gas lasers.
One of my proudest possessions is a yellow HeNe I got in person from Dr Sam at SELEM 2010 and I got him back at SELEM again at 2013 he was our honored guest again.

PM If i can help

hak

Last edited: