Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New member- 12,000mw blue laser?

USAbro

Try a cd case. My 1.6 watt can melt a hole from 18 feet. I haven't tried further but the beam start getting to big.

mas

Try a cd case. My 1.6 watt can melt a hole from 18 feet. I haven't tried further but the beam start getting to big.

hmmm-I don't have a cd case- and my hotel room isn't very big...
but wow, it is burning the back of the black "no smoking" sign at about 10' away- I put my hand in front of the beam and it took less than 3 seconds for it to hurt. Think I need to recharge the batteries again.

haha- I'm burning the "no smoking" sign :D

(it still smells better than walking around hk!)

I actually sent wicked laser an email asking if I could swing buy to check out their inventory- they are only about 3 miles from my hotel- they responded pretty fast saying their business isn't open to walk-in traffic, mail order only :rolleyes: and they could only guarantee delivery to my hotel within the next 9 days if I paid the expedite shipping fee! I'm only 3 miles away!!! :confused:

mas

Where are you then?

I'm at the regal hotel in kowloon, hk (70 mody road). I'm actually only about 1.5 miles from wicked lasers (3 miles round trip).

I fly home home on thursday- so if you want one, let me know ;)

I've been to hk 4 times, japan twice and s.korea a3 times over the last 2 years- the only 2 times my bags were searched was returning to the states from japan- they made me lay every article out on the floor and turn every pocket inside out. right in front of the gate. they were very polite - they explained it was a random check :rolleyes:
but I travel about 300,000 air miles / years so, I get searched now and then. never from HK or s.korea.
europe just always asks to see my passport 3 times before boarding.

This store I bought the laser at was somewhere near the hk side across the bay- I got the whole weekend to shop around- if you need something, just let me know. tons of powerful lasers around here. I may even be in your area in a week or two in working in some Maryland hospital.... I can get stuff in the mail on thursday,.. they had a 5000mw blue laser for around $65... I can try to find the store again tomorrow. she also has some larger laser boxes- for stronger lasers....

mas

I'm starting to crash hard- it's 1:45am here in kowloon. check back tomorrow ;)

upaa27

12w will do a lot more than that. But still seems like a good deal for that power! These Chinese developers need to go easy on that potentiometer!

I'm guessing 2w<.

Last edited:
With these power ratings from Chinese mass produced laser, drop a zero off. So your 12,000mW would be 1.2W(1200mW), which is much closer to the actual power.

From the photos you posted, the host looks a bit small. At a power of 1.2-2W, no wonder it gets hot quick. I don't see it lasting long if it gets hot to the touch in less than 30s.

mas

With these power ratings from Chinese mass produced laser, drop a zero off. So your 12,000mW would be 1.2W(1200mW), which is much closer to the actual power.

From the photos you posted, the host looks a bit small. At a power of 1.2-2W, no wonder it gets hot quick. I don't see it lasting long if it gets hot to the touch in less than 30s.

yeah- I would say dropping a zero is an accurate statement. It's funny because the box says class IIIA laser, but the sticker on the device says Class IIIb- lol
I'm far from being an expert on lasers but I'd guess this is somewhere in the 2+ watt range. neither class is correct for a 12w laser :rolleyes:

After allowing the batteries to fully charge over night, this laser is burning my black cell phone case at 10'+ within a few seconds- and it'll burn a hole in white paper at 1' in about 2-3 seconds- I burnt a hole clean through the dark purple plastic water bottle cap in 2 seconds.

I'm going to head back to the store and see if I can grab a tri-pod and maybe some mirrors.

some of the spectrometers I work on use powerful lasers and have some nice heat-sinks. I have a bunch of spare parts back at the shop and I'm thinking I'll make a nice heat sink mount for the laser. I have a bridgeport mill and a large lathe at my house- so, I can do a nice job with it.

Last edited:

Nute

Congratulations and the new laser! Only thing I can think to add is that you may want to buy a new pair of safety glasses. I recommend the following:

Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

A direct hit to the eye with a 1W laser can be devastating, and cause permanent eye damage, and possibly blindness. I recommend these glasses to anyone with >5mw. Take a look at these threads when you get a chance.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/oops-my-eye-thread-89827.html

Thank you for the picture, and the review of this laser. Also, Welcome to LPF!

mas

Congratulations and the new laser! Only thing I can think to add is that you may want to buy a new pair of safety glasses. I recommend the following:

Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

A direct hit to the eye with a 1W laser can be devastating, and cause permanent eye damage, and possibly blindness. I recommend these glasses to anyone with >5mw. Take a look at these threads when you get a chance.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/oops-my-eye-thread-89827.html

Thank you for the picture, and the review of this laser. Also, Welcome to LPF!

thanks nute ;)

so- I completely dissembled the laser- there it was, as clear as can be, engraved on the inner cylinder "9/2014 1.7w blue" lol!
just a wee bit short of the 12,000mw on the sticker! chinese :rolleyes:

still a fun laser ;)

Nute

:eek: 1.7 watts of 445nm sure is nice isn't it! Nice find!

Last edited:

Unva

Hi Mas
What was the address of the store? I am in Kowloon tonight and tomorrow morning and want to get something similar to that. if you don't remember the address but recall the store name that will do also :thanks: