Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New laser module half-working

Encap

Okay. I want a laser that has an impressive beam. Any suggestions for a noob like me?

Too many ifs.

Your OP doesn't make any sense in several directions/ways and is problematical in several ways.
It makes you appear to be reckless, irresponsible---an accident looking to for a place to happen. Nobody will want to help you.
Why would you buy a diode module that you know nothing about nor even how to power or use it or use it safely?
Just a module w. diode is almost useless alone. Is easy to destroy the diode if you don't know what you are doing or why.

See here for for host and heatsink and driver assemblies that are easy to make and have good tutorials: Survival Laser USA Home

High power diodes are not toys--they are very dangerous and can cause serious injury to eyes at the speed of light.

Suggestion #1 is study up on proper operating procedures, laser safety, and always use laser goggles--high output diodes can easily cause permanent ocular damage of blind you faster and more easily than you can imagine--in less than human blink reflex time of 0.25 seconds---zero chance of making any correction one accident is in progress.

See: http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/get-some-safety-goggles-now-75799.html
and
http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

Laser Safety see and well as the many other excellent pages on the web site: Laser Pointer Safety - Laser hazard distance equations

Last edited:

diachi

Put a link to the diode and module you bought. Too many ifs.

Your OP doesn't make any sense in several directions/ways.
Why would you buy a diode module that you know nothing about nor how to power or use it or use it safely? Just a module and diode is almost useless alone and is dangerous as well as is easy to destroy the diode if you don't know what you are doing or why.
See here for for host and heatsink and driver assemblies that are easy to make and have good tutorials: Survival Laser USA Home

You need to avoid being an accident looking for a place to happen. High power diodes are not toys--they are very dangerous and can cause serious injury to eyes at the speed of light.
Suggestion #1 is study up on laser safety and always use laser goggles--high output diodes can easily cause permanent ocular damage of blind you faster and more easily than you can imagine--in less than human blink repflex time of 0.25 seconds---zero chance of making any correction one accident is in progress.

See: http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/get-some-safety-goggles-now-75799.html
and
http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

Laser Safety see and well as the many other excellent pages on the web site: Laser Pointer Safety - Laser hazard distance equations

Yes, at the sorts of powers we're talking about here even diffuse reflections can cause eye damage, it doesn't need to be a direct exposure, especially at blue wavelengths with consistent exposure.

GSS

I live in the united states. I have a little experiense with high powered lasers (i am learning to laser engrave in a shop i go to). I don't want to spend more than 120 on this laser, and preferably blue. I can not give you the listing on ebay because the seller is currently away until the 18th and none of their items are avalable. Yes i have safety glasses.
Your not making this easy.
You want answers but aren't willing to give much info, which makes look like a hit and run type.
Simply saying "yes I have glasses" doesn't sound promising and a little on the rude side actually..
Ok your getting a driver for the NUM06 so it seems you know what kind to get and regardless of the seller being temporary absent you should still have a link for the diode.
It looks like you only want to know is if a 3 element will give you a beam, so yes it will but you will lose 30% of power compared to the G2. The spot will be better but still not totally round..Good luck..

Last edited:
hmm the seller is gone and you purchased the laser if you purchased the laser you shod have the link i thing !!! maybe am wrong
i thing the NUBM06 is a open can diode !!!

Last edited:

Encap

hmm the seller is gone and you purchased the laser if you purchased the laser you shod have the link i thing !!! maybe am wrong
i thing the NUBM06 is a open can diode !!!

Exactly--all the links even on closed auctions are there---doesn't make any sense that he can not post s link.

Last edited:
Sorry, it is not my intent to be rude and I am sorry if you feel that. If you must know, I bought laser goggles intended for laser engravers. I do not know much about lasers and I have been trying to research. I think some of you are being short sided with me. Now if I gave you a link to the ebay seller, you will see they have no items. They have temporairily removed them. I am very aware that these are dangerous. All I want is a 2-4 watt blue handheld laser that can burn things, and I just want to be pointed in the right direction to look for these things. A module with a circular beam and driver is what i am after. I have 18650 lithium ion batteries to hook up through the driver and to the module. I hope that this is enough information for you.

Okay, here. Found it.https://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=182499863859

Last edited:
So this is my first time posting, and this is my second laser build.

I purchased a laser module on ebay recently. It is 445 nm and rated for an output of 4 watts. What I did not expect is the laser is a line, not a dot. I also did some testing with it, and it is not even close to burning paper, and it should. It can melt tape and pop balloons at close range. I am giving it 4.7 volts and 6 amps (no driver yet, I tried to make my own and failed.) and the seller said I should use a driver with an output of 4 amps or less.
I find it strange you bought a 4 WATT 445nm
Laser Module that produces a line...
I just did an eBay search and there are no 4W
445 nm Line Lasers to be found...:thinking:
I would like to see a link to that Laser.

I live in the united states. I have a little experiense with high powered lasers (i am learning to laser engrave in a shop i go to). I don't want to spend more than 120 on this laser, and preferably blue. I can not give you the listing on ebay because the seller is currently away until the 18th and none of their items are avalable. Yes i have safety glasses.

Even when eBay sellers are away... there listings
are still listed on eBay. You just can't buy them...
But they are there...

So... I would like to see n eBay link to that seller.

Jerry

Encap

Sorry, it is not my intent to be rude and I am sorry if you feel that. If you must know, I bought laser goggles intended for laser engravers. I do not know much about lasers and I have been trying to research. I think some of you are being short sided with me. Now if I gave you a link to the ebay seller, you will see they have no items. They have temporairily removed them. I am very aware that these are dangerous. All I want is a 2-4 watt blue handheld laser that can burn things, and I just want to be pointed in the right direction to look for these things. A module with a circular beam and driver is what i am after. I have 18650 lithium ion batteries to hook up through the driver and to the module. I hope that this is enough information for you.

Okay, here. Found it.https://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=182499863859

DTR was away untill 11 September not 18 and you still are not making much sense and sound like an accident looking for a place to happen.

For $120 total you are not going to be able to do anything with that module. Just a module with driver is $110 on DTRs site. Just buy a complete hand held laser-- you can get a 3W here for $99 https://laserpointerstore.com/featured-on-homepage/thor-m-2-laser-pointer

Or go to the DTR web site here: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/ and buy a driver---still that is just a module not a hand led laser just a module you can use in making one--you need a heatsink and host and all the other bits to make one if you want a hand held or want to run it for more than a few seconds and not destroy it.
See : Survival Laser USA Home

PS you are not going to get a perfect circular dot with any diode nor do you need one for anything engraving included.
You are only going to get a "circular " beam only with a DPSS laser like a 532nm

For low cost but excellent quality engraving heads see: https://optlasers.com/en/15-cnc-3d-lasers

Last edited:
I machined a 12 by 30 mm heatsink for it. I know the basics of lasers, and my mistake here was i bought a rectangular laser instead of a dot like I wanted. I also didn't make an effective driver.

He linked to DTR's eBay site for a NUBM06 diode pressed in a copper module with a copper half back. He ran it off a 4.7 volt supply that is rated for 6 amps. Don't know off hand what Vf is for a NUBM06 at 4 amps. If it is lower than 4.7 volts the diode could be history. This is not at all how one should power this laser diode and it needs heat sinking of the module to keep it from over heating and going into thermal runaway. DTR clearly states that this needs to be driven by a constant current driver not over 4 amps and also needs to be in a host (heat sink) too.

diachi

I find it strange you bought a 4 WATT 445nm
Laser Module that produces a line...
I just did an eBay search and there are no 4W
445 nm Line Lasers to be found...:thinking:
I would like to see a link to that Laser.

Jerry

I think OP is referring to the nasty output of the high power blue diodes, i.e. the output is a stripe, not round, or round-ish.

OP - You won't find a high power blue diode with a round output. Additional optics are required to even get close to round.

I think OP is referring to the nasty output of the high power blue diodes, i.e. the output is a stripe, not round, or round-ish.

OP - You won't find a high power blue diode with a round output. Additional optics are required to even get close to round.

I pretty much told him the same thing in post #2.

Encap

I machined a 12 by 30 mm heatsink for it. I know the basics of lasers, and my mistake here was i bought a rectangular laser instead of a dot like I wanted. I also didn't make an effective driver.

" I know the basics of lasers" like what --they produce light that can burn things? How old are you?
Sounds like you trolling the forum or playing a joke more than anything else but maybe not.

So you have a module with diode you don't know what tp do with and may have ruined with direct application of electricity and a heatsink that may or may not fit into any host + misperceptions and daydreams about lasers and "burning" things?
Start over and research how to make/assemble a hand held laser would be a good idea then begin obtaining what you need.

You don't pay attention --as everyone has told you many times--there are no diodes with a circular output---so quit saying you want that--it doesn't exist except in your imagination.

You want a 2/4W hand held to "burn" things for whatever reasons--just buy/purchase one complete---or--you made a heatsink--so now prepare a host that will accept that heatsink with module and driver and contact boards + a battery and so on and assemble it --see for an idea of what is needed to be done: Survival Laser USA Home
OR use the LPF search function at the bottom of the page --there are hundreds of builds and many tutorials on how to accomplish same, there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link... but that Laser does not
produce a Line...:undecided:

[EDIT]
@diachi..
I now see what he is referring to when he
says a "line".. That is the beam profile of a
445nm multimode Laser.

It can easily be used to engrave or burn by
focusing the beam down to a pinpoint... or
as close to a pinpoint as possible.

Jerry