Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New laser module half-working

So this is my first time posting, and this is my second laser build.

I purchased a laser module on ebay recently. It is 445 nm and rated for an output of 4 watts. What I did not expect is the laser is a line, not a dot. I also did some testing with it, and it is not even close to burning paper, and it should. It can melt tape and pop balloons at close range. I am giving it 4.7 volts and 6 amps (no driver yet, I tried to make my own and failed.) and the seller said I should use a driver with an output of 4 amps or less.

I want to know if I can focus the laser to one point rather than how spread it is. The seller said it is a g-2 lens. I also want to know what driver to use. I have the driver from this:

200mW 532nm Green Laser Module (3V 11.9mm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

And was wondering if I could use one of these:

Adjustable current laser diode driver 80-500mA w/TTL blue board

EDIT: oops, second link os for 500 mA. OOps.

Upon further reasearch, I have concluded that I bought a rectangular diode. Can i use a lens to make this a dot, because if I can't I will return it for a different module.

Last edited:

You should first open a thread in the welcome section and introduce your self to the community. There are no 4 watt diodes that don't have a large diverging axis as they are all multi mode diodes and the emitters are shaped that way. I don't know what you think you might find that will do better. Sounds like you got a NUBM44 diode which has the worst divergence of any out there. These require cylindrical lenses and beam expanders to have decent looking beam. It is capable of 7+ watts, but after several feet it is no longer able to burn using regular glass lenses. BTW, welcome.

We have had a problem with trolls creating chaos in the forum from time to time, you should introduce yourself in the Welcome section and update your profile to show where in the world you are. If you really want to fit in with this group let us get to know you.

Welcome, none of this drivers will work correctly what diode is it a 445nm 4W. :thinking:
-
Nichia NDB7875 9mm 445nm
Nichia 6W+ NUBM44 450nm
Nichia NUBM07E 465nm
Nichia NUBM08 4.3W 455nm
Nichia NUBM05 3.5W 455nm
NUBM05 3.5W 450nm Laser Diode
Nichia NUBM06 3.5W 445nm
NUBM05 3.5W 450nm Laser Diode
N450 4.5W 450nm
N450 3.5W 450nm Laser Diode

Reactions: GSS

GSS

No one mentioned the OP ran it without a driver. Whether he used a power supply isn't 6A a bit extreme?

at 6A that you running the diode the output of the diode drops like hell and maybe it ends us like half power especially if it runs hot.those high power diodes tend to drop output instead of instantly burning if you overdrive them and they recover when the current drops on the normal working range.

as for the rectangular shape it is normal for those high power diodes.only with extra cylidrical lenses, beam expander or both can be fixed.

and one last thing,unscrew the focusing lens and see how the diode looks like.it will help to indetify the diode.i hope it is a nubm44 and not a decanned nubm0X diode as those tend to degrade over time.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for the help. I didn't know that using more amps will drop the power, and nowhere on the ebay listing did it say it was a rectangular beam, I just assumed it was a dot. And it is a NUBNO6. I will get a driver meant for the NUBN06. Can I use a three-element glass lens instead of the g-2 and have a beam?

guys, this member has been asked to introduce himself and give a general location, i wouldn't help him more until he does that.

Did half, thanks. Still no info on where you are coming to us from on the net. If you don't want to tell us, just say so and I won't ask again.

you are right Alaskan,at least he did wrote something :beer: oh then if you have a nubm06 and you focusing it with a normal lens that means it is already decanned and it will degrade and die in the close future.

no with 3 element lens the spot will be smaller for sure than a g2 but still rectangular

Reactions: GSS
Okay. I want a laser that has an impressive beam. Any suggestions for a noob like me?

diachi

Okay. I want a laser that has an impressive beam. Any suggestions for a noob like me?

Where are you located?
What's your budget?
What's your experience with high power lasers?
Any preference on colour?
Form factor?
Do you have appropriate laser safety glasses?

Need more details before we can advise.

Last edited:
I live in the united states. I have a little experiense with high powered lasers (i am learning to laser engrave in a shop i go to). I don't want to spend more than 120 on this laser, and preferably blue. I can not give you the listing on ebay because the seller is currently away until the 18th and none of their items are avalable. Yes i have safety glasses.

Last edited: