Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New laser host! Work in progress...

I've finally begun machining a laser host, oddly enough I did not use any of the 1200 designs I've spammed across the forum. Anyway, I have permission to produce some laser hosts! So I went in to the shop today and spent all day trying to teach myself mazatrol, and this is what I ended up with at the end of the day. Its made of 1" 303 stainless steel, and at the moment it is a little unfinished :D

But thats where everyone else comes in, and the reason I've opened this thread. What would you like to see in a laser host?

What size? With what features?

Tailclicky or pen style pushbutton or something different?

What battery size and configuration?

What kind of finish? Polished, plated, anodized, powder-coated, etc...

Post your opinions here!!

And without any further delay, here is what I spent all day on :D

IMG_1482.jpg

This is a pretty simple waterproof (it was going to be!) host. Obviously it isn't finished, but its pretty close. I ran into some clearance issues with the sides and needed to rework some stuff, but I ran out of time. Basically, the module (in this case a o-like green or aixiz) would press into the module, the cap would screw on and be sealed by a gasket inside the cap, and a o-ring on the tapered side. Like I said above this is 1" 303 stainless, and the finish is a bit rough but this is just straight out of the machine, no polishing or buffing or anything. I can do some pretty tight tolerance stuff, and some pretty tiny stuff (look at the insanely small rounded radius on each of the fins) Once I get some more tooling I'll make some hosts that a diode would press directly into, but first I need some really small tapping bits for the 9x0.5mm lens nut thread, and some really small facing bits for the pocket the diode sits in.

Anyway, here are some more pictures!!

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

And here is the progression, what I started with on the left, and what I ended up with on the right :D

IMG_1483.jpg

I need a new camera, and a macro lens!

Dang pontiac, you learned fast, I remember when you were on laserchat trying to figure out what mazatrol even was. :na: As to your work, I must say wow, that's very nice looking. Now personally, I like the look of the krytons, maybe see if Ken would allow you to do some mini krytons, ala the PPR, tail click and everything the design has. Other than that, I think you're going to be very popular around here now...:eg:

A waterproof host would be nice. I'd like to build one using a 445nm diode. It looks great so far even though I wish it was longer

I want spiraling grooves down the base. Or what I like to call 'anti-wings'. Imagine a wing, that instead of going out, it goes in (not that far though, just enough to make a cool groove). Polished Anodized.

Last edited:
A waterproof host would be nice. I'd like to build one using a 445nm diode. It looks great so far even though I wish it was longer

This is just the end cap and the module, there is still going to be a battery tube part. It will be pretty long depending on which batteries I'm going to use.

JellyCrab said:
I was spiraling grooves down the base. Or what I like to call 'anit-wings'. Imagine a wing, that instead of going out, it goes in.

That is very possible, I was thinking about adding some very light knurling to the side as well, but that is still up in the air. Writing a program to make the machine do that is pretty complicated.

Very nice! Glad to see some ideas finally come to life! Personally I'd like an 18650 as the battery.

jeffd

Wow impressive work:gj:

Do you have any pics of the host next to like an aixiz or green module so we can get an idea of the size of it?

+rep

Trevor

Looks fantastic.

I'm disappointed not to see a sales thread yet! :(

+1

-Trevor

Well between making these things, and building and configuring a server ( I hate Windows 2008!) and a dedicated autocad workstation, and working on other parts at the shop I've been pretty busy! I've made some design changes and am using a 2.5 axis Mazak SQT-10M instead of only a 2 axis QT-250 because the new design needs some milling ;).
I've got some pretty high hopes for the new design and if it works it would be epic for diode lasers!

Lookin' forward to it! I think I'll build my own 445 using one of these if they're as amazing as you say they'll be

Very nice! Glad to see some ideas finally come to life! Personally I'd like an 18650 as the battery.

I'd also vote for #18650 batteries.

They are the highest technology available.

Stainless looks very nice, but has limited heat conductivity.

LarryDFW

I assume he's using stainless for practice, and will go to aluminum once he perfects the design.

Yeah, the finished host will be aluminum. Stainless is just what I had available to practice with. Besides aluminum can look very nice when anodized!