Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Lab Housing with Fan for <$20

TRUDat
but hopefully AixiZ will offer pontiacg5 copper modules soon. How much worse 4 contacts would make is AFAIK either unknown or not a big deal if you consider good thermal paste and the fan. IMO this one and one with a 12mm opening would both be nice to have.

it comes down to no matter the material you want the least amount of contacts. it will spread the heat quicker. look at it this way the heat has to travel diode-module-heatsink-housing-baseplate. a direct press like daves diode-holder-baseplate. see? :tinfoil:

Awesome! I only bought the other variant of those heatsinks that store had for sale. Can you show us how a lens fits into the whole thing? It wasn't clear from the pictures.

The guy has other good heatsinks too which I'm pretty happy about. Those heatsinks and the others are also the perfect height for those mirrors in the MiLasers adjustable optics set.

Here are some better picture for you.

DSC01185.jpg

DSC01187.jpg

DSC01188.jpg

DSC01189.jpg

You can see the Back of it is where the diode will be held in place.

:)

Last edited:
That's not too bad. How does that plug hold the diode in?

I would also like to mention the threading is very good. Perfect i would say. There is pretty much no play watch so ever with a brand new lens nut.

It holds the diode in place by threads.:) So you place the diode in and then screw the plug in behind it.:)

It works pretty well.:)

Sounds like a good module. Too bad the airflow isn't quite as good as it could be, but it is more solid and probably good for plate-mounting.

i got one in the mail today and i think the holes for the fan are on the wrong end of the housing.

i got one in the mail today and i think the holes for the fan are on the wrong end of the housing.

:eek:

The Fan holes should be on the side that the heatsink goes in.

Are you saying the holes are on the Aperture side where the threading is.?

PS: Uploading video now of unit in action.

I too wish it would accept Aixiz modules. Not because I want to build a diode laser in it, but because my Nexus's switch busted last night and I had to take it out of the pen host. I bypassed the switch and soldered on leads and made a 12mm module out of it, but now I have no host for it!

Also, it had NO IR FILTER! Gah, wish I knew this sooner.

Benm

It's too bad it doesnt take aixiz modules indeed.

Not that i think this mounting system is inferior, but if your diode is already press fit into an aixiz you would have to remove it to use these modules. I know this can be done, but its still rather finicky.

I can always make you guys heatsinks for the module if you like.:)

Just like i did for this housing that was longer in size:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f46/lab-c-mount-housing-67701.html#post984610

The First 3 people that send me there Heatsink that comes with there units will get a trade for a 12mm module heatsink in aluminum that will fit in these housings and hold your Aixiz Modules.:)

Video is Up:

I was sick in this video as i shot it early Last week Plus it was like 4am.:p "I dont sleep"

THe video more or less is showing how stable it is.:)

I really think these housing can run continuous and be stable. Especial if they are mounted onto of a aluminum Base plate or something to that extent.

What you dint see in the video is i ran this for 3 hours the other night and although i said in the video that it will be stable around 1.4W which i think will be true if it was on a base plate it was stable on my work desk at 1354mW - 1359mW. It took 30 minutes to stabilize because the laser was from a very cold start.

For there size they work great.:) The Fan does help as you see in the video when i shut it off.

I noticed though that you have to center the diode when screwing it into the heatsink. I dint notice this until i powered it up and the beam was coming out off center. It was an easy fix though.:)

For the price you can go wrong.

Last edited:
:eek:

The Fan holes should be on the side that the heatsink goes in.

Are you saying the holes are on the Aperture side where the threading is.?

PS: Uploading video now of unit in action.

as the unit is you can't focus the laser w/o taking the housing apart. if the fan holes were on the other end i could reverse the h/s and be able to focus. and there would be room for a driver behind the h/s.

Last edited:
as the unit is you can't focus the laser w/o taking the housing apart. if the fan holes were on the other end i could reverse the h/s and be able to focus.

I see what you mean now. Well i can alway make you a long focus adapter if you like.:) Then you will be able to focus without taking it apart.:)