Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New(ish) 405 5.6 diode.. 350mW to 1500mW-share your build.

DTR

Yeah, I use mine to heat sink diodes I am testing for wavelengths. So, they don't get exposed to high currents.....just threshold and drive currents. Mostly the new Sharp diodes and my NDB7675s as there was some rumor that they were NDB7875s instead. Glad to say they are both the real deal and brand new....no tinned pins. Wish I could remember what wavelength they both measured, but that was many months ago.

Nice. So when you get the one I am sending you which is a pull from a Mitsubishi core test the wavelength and compare to the the one you are holding and maybe some basic efficiency numbers as well. A interesting point with Ncha diodes is that pulls will be more consistent where diodes distributed though the gray market can be like a box of chocolates "you never know what you are going to get" if you don't have a supplier that is honest and actually has knowledge up to the source. I have yet to find a china seller that actually knows any details except the production model number.

Nic contracts for production runs with a main customer that has an agreement to buy x amount of units with x tolerances for the specs they need for their product which is companies like caxio for their units or mitsu before they do a run. Small batches of engineering samples are made and send to prospective companies. These are the datasheet snippets that the grey market suppliers use to make all the fake datasheets that accompany these diodes. They get out as they are more loosely distributed than final sheets as every purchase agreement comes with a NDA which prohibits distribution of datasheets. These get edited with the model number which they pretty much always know as they trays usually show up with the part number on them just the bar codes ripped off and none of the paperwork they send with every batch that has the specific bin info of the batch.

This is why I roll my eyes every time I see an E at the end of a model number in a listing. It is possible to see the T but not all that likely as they are just the first batch produced by the final process to test and to tweak any issues that might be in the manufacturing process or make refinements to get a higher yield of the target bins. So the point is all the target bins go to the fulfill the contract and ones that fall outside for any number of factors get sold off with a lot of them getting backdoored into the gray market.

This may not be a bad thing as the needs of the porojector company to get the right conversion rate to green light and have a blue wavelenght that is useable in the mix for color ballance may not be what others are after so this is not a they get the best but they get what they know they are ordering and have consistancey. Batches on the gray market can swing a lot and if your supplier or maybe their supplier is not very honest there are batches that have defects of one kind or another. Maybe a group that were produced and something was off cauusing high failure rate, missing lasing line, off angle emitter, really whatever. I got hosed with a defect batch of NDB7A75's from a china which had a dye defect. Crooked angle and this big round halo that when you put a lens on you had a crooked beam inside a second light emission that was like a flashight shown as a huge circle around the dot. Another time I had a batch of NDB7875's that just did not wan tot go over 2A. A few blowing and most lasing just stopped between 1.6A and 2.2A which they took back the ones that did not blow up.

Anyway give it a test would be interested in seeing how they differ if they do.

When referring to MItsu cores above I mean back in the begging mitsu designed a line of hybrid projectors not long after the caso ones had been out for a year or two. Probably just getting into the A140 line but saw how the whole A130 thing went over like a led zepplin and for several other decided not to manufacture them. Instead they took what they designed and sold them as drop cores which from what I gather ended up being a very good move and profitable not having to deal with retail distribution. These are the ones that are in the acrs, viewsoni, Optom, and others. (yes I am spelling proper names wrong on purpose)

On the email you sent I will shoot you a label. I am not in a rush to get the one you have and still have the label from the other day I can send you this one with. Just swap the label and contents when you get it as no need to pay for priority if that is all you can print.;)

WOW
bunch of great posts-- especially from Jordan who I welcome back home..

you have done your homework.. thanks!!!
do you think scrap copper was used to make the AixiZ copper modules..??

I seem to remember something about getting their copper from DTR .. I can ask for samples if any vet wants some to test..I will ask AixiZ if there have been more than one source at AixiZ for copper.
I try very hard to do as much as I can to prevent any metal bits-copper/ally/brass etc from getting into anything ever....

I use a powerful vaccuum - canned air and go slow and keep everything horizontal. I dont want gravity to cause problems.

Sleds arrived today and ready to fwd Sat morn.

pics and details on my experience with the harvest posted here asap.
a few tricks-tips etc -- I was sent a DOA to practice 'the harvest' and glad of that.
I am sold out.
thanks again for all the valuable posts.. please post again..

be sure to practice ESP precautions--no returns- all pretested as good.

ps
sounding like use of a TEC is callled for..

Yea Chuck used to get them from me not sure what he is doing for them now but makes sense to source his own. Yea copper and lots of other metals will be getting downgraded here before too long. This is a good read.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...riven_by_the_Depletion_of_High-Grade_Deposits

Or this expert from a previous study.
Copper Demand for copper has increased dramatically over the last few decades. From 1991 to 2015, the world total extraction has doubled, going from 9.3 million to 18.7 million tonnes. Available data suggest that the world copper reserves are 720 million tonnes and the identified resources approximately 2.1 billion tonnes [15] while other studies state that the ultimately recoverable reserves could be 2.8 billion tonnes [16]. At present, the global average copper ore grades for copper mines is approximately 0.62% of Cu content [17] and this number is expected to decrease as mines with higher ore grades become exhausted [17–19]. Starting from this information, the concern over the future availability of copper is on the rise, and several studies have focused on estimating the global copper peak production using Hubbert’s model, which has been estimated to be between 8 and 40 years from now [16,20–24]. Copper is currently mined using both underground and open cut methods and there are basically two main processing routes, depending on the type of ore present, sulfides or oxides. After ore sorting and grinding, used in both types of ore, the main technique used for concentration of sulfide ores is froth flotation followed by smelting and refining (pyrometallurgical process) while in the case of oxide ores (and some low grade sulfide ores) a heap leaching process is combined with solvent extraction and electrowinning (SX-EW) (hydrometallurgical process) [25]. In the pyrometallurgical process, the ore is mined, concentrated, smelted and refined. The sulfides are separated from the gangue material using flotation to form a concentrate containing 25% to 35% of copper [26]. During smelting, the concentrate is fed to a smelter, along with oxygen and a reductant such as coking coal, where sulfides are oxidized producing a blister of 97%–99% of molten metallic copper that is later purified by electrolytic purification to pure copper [27]. From the 1980s a new technology emerged, commonly known as the heap leach–solvent extraction/electrowinning process (HL-SX/EW), although only 10% of the primary production comes from this hydrometallurgical route [28]. This process operates at ambient temperatures and the copper is dissolved to produce a copper sulphate solution through heap leaching, after which the copper is recovered through SX-EW to produce pure copper cathode.

Jordan, I still need your address to send the module to you. I have the country club address, but don't know if you receive mail there. So, your NDB7675s are pulls? Are they new pulls or do you know? My two diodes are new and have no solder or cut pins on them. You can understand my concern, right? Thanks.

Edit: Never mind. I hadn't read your whole post before I posted this as I wanted to catch you before too much time had lapsed. So, I will wait until I get the package you are sending out. I'll be happy to compare yours with my other diode. We'll see whether they are different or not.

Last edited:
I thought I had read that all the 7675's had the number stamp between the pins, but now I understand that's not the case.

How's the m-462 compare to the 7675 for color and power ? How about divergence, I would think they would have the same natural divergence given the 7875 and m-140 have the same divergence.

M462 and 7675 have nearly if not identical beam divergence. Power is roughly the same when M462 is driven at 1.8A and 7675 is driven with at least 1.8A as well, up to it's limit. Above 1.8A 7675 rapidly changes color but output stays about 2W. Above 1.9A M462 dies. At 1.8A M462 is very, very reliable and can run continuous duty in a well heatsinked, air cooled install. My 7675 died during a power on duration of about a two minutes at 2.85A, well heatsinked and not hot but a bit warm. Too much current for too long duration and I had it coming, but at that current it must have been over 476nm and was very very pretty. Should have left it at 2.6A :0)

That is a lot of current to drive a 7675 with. It is difficult to say just how high the wavelength got without measuring it, though. I have heard of diodes losing power driven that hard. I plan on seeing if I get a shift at 1.8 amps. Won't be difficult to do. I can measure the wavelength at threshold and again when the driver is installed.

Here's a pic of the M462 next to the 2.85A 7675M462 and NDB7675 2.9A 11.jpg
EDIT- I looked at my regulator set resistors and I had the 7675 running at 2.9 amps, YIKES

Last edited:

DTR

Jordan, I still need your address to send the module to you. I have the country club address, but don't know if you receive mail there. So, your NDB7675s are pulls? Are they new pulls or do you know? My two diodes are new and have no solder or cut pins on them. You can understand my concern, right? Thanks.

Edit: Never mind. I hadn't read your whole post before I posted this as I wanted to catch you before too much time had lapsed. So, I will wait until I get the package you are sending out. I'll be happy to compare yours with my other diode. We'll see whether they are different or not.

Yes it is a pull from a new machine. There is an artifact that forms on the glass and gets more prominent the more it is used. It can be seen in the raw output when shined on a wall. I will try to find one and get a pic.

Thanks, Jordan. I was unaware of the artifact you have found. I wonder if it is on all these diodes or just certain runs.

Benm

It's pushed pretty far beyond specs, but looks amazing. I suppose the die temperature will cause the wavelength to rise a bit giving it a more visible color than 405 nm too.

As for copper and heatsinks: they only make sense when made out of pretty pure copper. You do get alloys that look like copper but are actually brass and have much lower conductivity. From a cost perspective it makes no sense to use such materials as they perform far worse compared to aluminium.

The only reason for selling something made out of brass as if it were copper would be deception.

One material that's often used is phosphor bronze that isn't even that much cheaper compared to pure copper but more easily machined and has some desirable material properties. It's not a very good thermal conductor though.

Yep, the 24 x 30mm aluminum diode module I tested moves heat well enough to function, but the 10 dollars a pop so called " red copper " modules that I bought seven of from China are useless, they don't move heat worth a dam.

Last edited:
working on the stock lens ..
is a convex/concave lens .. I think the convex is the back. --it looks like the AR coating is on the convex side.

its 6.32 mm across and 4.42 length and too large for my AixiZ Lens nut..those are for 5.5 Dia.. (inside) lens. (M-5?)-- might just be easier to use a G 6 lens already mounted and broadband AR coat.
LD --> (] < stock lens
or would it be LD-->[) ? dont ever remember seeing one mounted that way. Can a blank lens nut be gotten for a bigger lens and still fit into an AixiZ 12x30 blank module?

This copper 'deal' has me thinking a GB needs to happen-- coz its a ripoff if you get the crap ones/ how does one tell apart?? and if the realdeal is worth/costs more--a good reason to try to buy in bulk and\ share them.

I saw AixiZ Chuck yesterday and afaik he plans to 're-up' more from DTR if he has any.. atm I think I got the last 6pcs 9mm copper that Chuck had in stock.

TY for any replies
TY for reading & posting here..

DTR has copper modules in stock AFAIK, I recently received some and just ordered a few more.

Thanx Red--
It would be great if we knew some way to avoid the crap copper modules..... if we already have some of those.. what next? myb use them when we have active cooling--TEC ...
I would like to think the 'better' sellers of laser parts-- LIKE DTR-meridith- AixiZ. LSP (dave) etc would only sell the best..

and avoid those sold by the larger eekbay stores--thood.exitotem. newgrazer. laserland. et al.

new post to get back on-track..
tips on dealing with these diodes still in the 'sled'

feel free to add to this.
Just 'break loose' the two screws accessed thru the two holes in the driver board. These two are the most likely to give problems like stripping from wrong size screwdriver. The other 7 are easy. Protect all 3 AR coated 'Windows' two round & one square. Their usefulness is not yet found. Some are less than perfectly clean upon delivery.

2) remove (all 9 same size screws) the 4 screws 2 on each side

3) remove the single screw in the white plastic part topside .

4) Break loose the two screws holding down the driver

5) loosen all 4 screws a little at a time.. BE CAREFUL to NOT put any stress in the diode--at some point the two legs will be the only thing holding them together.
from that point on HANDLE WITH CARE & follow ESD precautions
6) De-solder the two diode pins (use solder sucker or wick etc) Do not remove the flat copper heat sink until the diode is free from the
driver board driver.(keep that BTW) Protect, at all times, the die window. Then de-solder the dioe pins and A gentle twist with two pliers/sidecutters/ etc will free the diode from the flat heat sink... I can see no possible way to use these diode still in the stock flat copper..
once hot, with a Q-tip, gently push the lens out the front /from the back. TRY to be careful with touching the lens to remove.. AFAIK that is the AR coated side. (convex)-- BTW the AixiZ Blank Lens 'Nut' is too small for this lens .

anyone know of the correct size lens nut?--its about 6mm

hak

Last edited:
I have not tried the copper modules offered by Techhood, so I won't say they are of inferior quality as I just don't know that. I might order the three for $9.00 just to see what kind of thermal capacity they actually have. At the moment, I don't need any more TO-18 case modules, so I will likely wait until I am closer to needing more before I place an order.

looking like we have two threads going on here.. a GB thread for copper would be a better place for this..but no hard feelings for the jacking.
I learned some new things .. so THANKS to all.. I should add pics of the harvesting.

we/I need a source of good-kind copper modules (all three sizes) and how many we must order to get a deal.
I would want 15 or 20
AixiZ might be good for a large number.
Not wanting to hurt anyone's sales of these BUT-- there should still be many wanting them who skipped or missed the GB.
hak