Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Host on the Block ?? Integral TEC and Fan !

Take a look and see if this "host" may be of interest to anyone. It is a Power Technology IQ Laser. It has a TEC, as seen behind the front mount. There is also a fan at the rear.
It had a 9mm diode installed previously, so I think the TEC is likely a few watts. It should handle moderate powers of the new CAPIO diodes.
The mounting flange can be left off. One photo shows a completed 405 build. IQ electronics removed since they can not be controlled- proprietary.

The heat sink has a flat area about 2- 3/4" long X 3/4" wide, X about 3/4" high inside the unit. The height will be restricted at the sides based on the screw on round casing. The unit is 6" in diameter, and 1.5" in diameter. TEC and fan leads can be seen. Unit screws together and/ or socket head cap screws.

This thing was build as an instrument grade unit, powered by a cord. Depending on the battery source, I think it would do well for a hand held device given the correct selection of LI-Poly, etc. Maybe not standard one cell builds like many flashlight host. Again this is shown since it includes a TEC and fan.

Maybe only for the serious builder. I can sell these at about $35 complete as shown, or with our 10.5 mm brass housing (with 405-G-2 lens) mounted at the front. Previously the 9mm diode was set into the tension mount at the front. We have enlarged the mount slightly to accept our housing. There is NOT room for a 12 mm housing, limited to 10.5mm, maybe 11mm diameter. It was a pocket for a 9mm diode, and the diameter of the bolt pattern for 4 screws with springs (flex mount for TEC) limit the module usage as- is. With some modifications, maybe an Aixiz can be made to fit , but we don't use that brand. I think our plastic lens housing @10.5mm diameter and M9X0.5mm thread will accept the 405 AixiZ lens nut so that might be a solution too.

Please comment on what you think/ ask questions.

Will

Attachments

• PowerTechnology IQ Parts-2.jpg
    PowerTechnology IQ Parts-2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 553
  • PowerTechnology IQ-2.jpg
    PowerTechnology IQ-2.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 553
  • PowerTechnology IQ TEC detail-2.jpg
    PowerTechnology IQ TEC detail-2.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:

neat! not for a handheld though. i saw a few of these on an auction meredith instruments was holding recently for about 40$ with original ps.

i thought about picking one up but quite honestly i couldnt imagine what i would want to put in it save one of teh new 638nm;'s

Meredith units are nearly $80. I have original PS if anyone wants it. It's didital and can't be controlled.

why not handheld? Is it too big, plenty of room inside w/ PS removed, but need flat batteries. I think it is an easy handheld build considering it has a TEC.

I have a few of these at work I am suppose to tear apart and do something with eventually. Maybe I'll just build myself a handheld with it.

why not handheld? Is it too big, plenty of room inside w/ PS removed, but need flat batteries. I think it is an easy handheld build considering it has a TEC.

send me a PM about the power supply. I might have a need for it in the near future.

Price lowered to $40.
Thought these would be nice for 638nm 300mW Mitsubishi diodes.
Price is for bare unit (or including PT power supply), but with LD removed.
Could be used with our 10.5mm housings, as well as others commonly used here.

Lowered it to $35. PM for details, as not on LPF page at my web site yet.

I'd like to see it reviewed. We have made several here (LASER66.com), but don't document too much, and not much time to post.
They have been sold as lab units, mostly for holography. I think they would be a nice handheld with a little work, either with a lot of heat sink removal or with flat batteries, especially for the new, higher and higher powered builds.

Is this $35 or $40? I'd like to play with one.

AnthoT

Yeah these could be great for lab style units in my opinion :beer: or maybe some flashlights can fit it aswell. If a flashlight could fit it it would be a truly unlimited duty cycle if you hook up the tec. :)

-Anthony

Benm

They seem very nice for lab/projector application indeed, especially if they can accept 12 mm units (also green modules).

The TEC would make them especially good to run the 638 nm lasers though, as coolling the diode down lowers the wavelength and dramatically increases visibility. No need to go to condensign conditions - even keeping the diode at 15-20 degrees C would be great.

Lowered it to $35. PM for details, as not on LPF page at my web site yet.

I'd like to see it reviewed. We have made several here (LASER66.com), but don't document too much, and not much time to post.
They have been sold as lab units, mostly for holography. I think they would be a nice handheld with a little work, either with a lot of heat sink removal or with flat batteries, especially for the new, higher and higher powered builds.

PM sent, I'd like to try this in a portable build! Seems like it would be a neat challenge.

Also, I have a question about http://www.laser66.com/html/tc_series_optical_lens.html

Is this like a beam expander built into a lens assembly? It looks like it could be a really neat lens, but is there a catch? I see the dimensions are a bit large, but that seems easy enough to build a heat sink around that problem. Any thoughts about that?

Last edited:
@Cyparagon...
RE: 4 SS screws leading back to hot side from cold? Ask PTI, but yes, some feedback of heat there. This is a building block with Modifications written all over it.

Also Please note: won't fit a 12 mm housing, as it runs into the bolt pattern/ bolt circle of those 4 flex mount screws. Sorry, as- is limited to maybe 11 mm diameter modules, but again it could be modified by the experts here.;)

Added Stability Data graph (photo)

Attachments

• PT520-5-1LPF.jpg
    PT520-5-1LPF.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited: