Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New high power Rocket launch

Yesterday I was called out to our launch field to fire off 2 rockets for local press and the school principal. Press got lots of video and still pics. :)

The picture attached is a screen capture of our high power LEVEL1 launch from yesterday of a 5ft tall 1.5Kg rocket on an H195 WL. We figured that the rocket traveled just past the 1Km altitude mark at roughly ~680Km/hr.

More later. :evil:

Our first rocket that we fired was a sonic flight to about 900m alt on a G80-13T BT (blue thunder). Highest impulse rocket motor in the medium power category.

All in all the Grade 6 and Grade 7s had fun with their applied science/EdTech class.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 9.44.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 9.44.38 AM.png
    602.4 KB · Views: 248

How cool is that !!!
Well done.
Looks like an awesome launch, hope you'll post a link to the video.

I've got a little video I'm putting together of one of our launches but it's not finished yet.
I'll post a thread about it when I've finished it.

Thanks for sharing your fantastic launch.

RB

:wave:

Benm

Always cool, especially when you get some footage from the rocket itself. Do you send it up there with some camera's running (seems sort of feasible considering the size and weight).

Always cool, especially when you get some footage from the rocket itself. Do you send it up there with some camera's running (seems sort of feasible considering the size and weight).

We sent up the camera, but the camera had a serious malfunction and corrupted the file on the SD card. Runt file. So We did get the video from the 2 cameras on the ground. A bigger launch will be scheduled later using 2 H195s on our 7ft tall rocket and we hope to have our onboard rocket cam running by then. I suspect the battery has a problem.

Please rename the .mpg file attached to .m4v to watch the launch.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.mpg
    10.4 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I just uploaded a new video clip showing the underside of the launch of our first rocket. The still picture was taken from the onboard camera shortly before it packed it in. I had to run a recovery program to replace the frame header.

You'll notice that the rocket is riding on a 1.2" rail supported by sturdy PVC frame nailed into the ground. This is done to prevent the recoil from sending the rocket sideways.

We have just built a larger 1.5" dia launcher for sending up our 7ft tall 2x H195 (dual motor = upper-mid power I engine) that has a metal tripod with option for sandbags. :evil: :evil:

Attachments

• !st rocket subsonic.mov
    14.5 MB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 9.01.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 9.01.50 AM.png
    585 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Nice, but not as cool as the launch footage. I look forward to more launches, especially if the on-board camera works. Tried to rep you, but I can't right now.

Benm

Guess we'll have to wait to the next launch to get that.

Downward looking footage often is very cool, unless the rocket is spin-stabilized and you cannot correct for that in the video.

Guess we'll have to wait to the next launch to get that.

Downward looking footage often is very cool, unless the rocket is spin-stabilized and you cannot correct for that in the video.

Were you able to see the last footage from March showing the same rocket? ;)
If not I'll repost it. :thanks:
]

Last edited:
Very nice. Thanks for sharing that.

Several new launches are scheduled in the next week or so, weather dependant.

:evil: We have a dual H195-WL / BT that should be able to fly over 6500ft ready for launch. We just need a GPS tracker, camera and altimeter+airspeed sensor for it. Camera and the Altimeter + airspeed sensor is the easy part.