Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New here, Hello! :D

AdamC

Hello! Name's Adam, 21 year old college student with a wide range of expensive hobbies- one of which being lasers!
I got into lasers about two years ago, not quite sure what prompted it, just liked laser pointers but I was a n00b and would buy modules off of ebay/DX, try to mess with the pots/resistance to peak output and sell to friends after throwing everything in a radioshack project enclosure with a button xD
Lost interest in lasers after that, moving on to other hobbies but lately my interest has grown again.

I've decided I want to build myself a proper laser, no more ebay cr*p.

I've recently, before joining this forum, purchased an m140 445nm diode in an aixiz module (ironically form ebay, seemed legit, also ironically from DTR whom through skimming various threads is pretty big here! I suppose that's why his ebay username is dtr-lpf) and have been skimming threads to see the next proper steps until I have myself a quality laser.

I'm currently looking for the right driver and host for it and think I've settled on an Aurora Cree Cheap Aurora C6 Cree P4 LED Flashlight (1*18650/2*CR123A) for the host but need to get a heatsink from jayrob?, and am still iffy on the whole driver situation. I've found a 1.7A V2 FMT boost driver which was linked to in dtr's ebay posting for the m140, but have read that a flexdrive would be a good choice though too but more expensive? This probably isn't the right thread for me to be blabbering this in but I get carried away in thought a lot, my apologies.

ANYWAYS yeah,

name's Adam, 21, n00b, building my first 'real' laser now with the diode ordered and debating over other parts.

should also mention i'm an engineering intern/assistant (I don't really have a title at my job, I just get paid to work there part time in the engineering department while in school helping with whatever's needed, occasionally getting my own projects) so I do a lot of soldering work and have access to their machine shop :) should help with the final build.

You guys seem friendly.
:)
-AC

Welcome to the forum, Adam. Thanks for letting us know where you are.

You picked a good diode from a good guy, in DTR. The host you picked is a reasonably well built host, but on the small side-I have 2 of them.

You can run your M-140 @ 1.7A, but if you're using a boost driver, you're going to generate a TREMENDOUS amount of heat. I boost most of my builds.

You will find yourself limited by duty cycles (run time allowing for cool down) and in battery capacity, as the energy is lost in watts of heat. I still go this route, but it's for you to make an informed decision.

You could use a buck style driver to run it, but you'd need to use the CR123s, as buck drivers require more voltage. The trade off is that they're more efficient and generate less heat. So, you wind up with longer duty cycles, and the run time on charge would be ROUGHLY equal. I've not done tests.

This is how I plan on building my next 445nm and 450nm lasers.

Enjoy your time in the forum, and be sure to familiarize yourself with the search bar at the top of each page.

Last edited:

AdamC

Ah, I see! I appreciate the input, you seem very knowledgeable! From the pictures I've seen, the aurora cree seemed like the size I was looking for. I'm alright with low battery capacity and duty cycles, I'm looking to heatsink the driver to the whole host so that might help a bit. -gonna settle with the 1.7boost driver and that host, it's what my heart wants.

Got most of the parts ordered now, and laser goggles on the way cause im worried about my seeing balls. :) Today set me back around $115 already and I've still got some more parts to get!

If you have a hard time finding a heatsink, go to Gary over at SurvivalLasers. BE SURE TO USE THEIR U.S. WEBSITE.

I have the copper extended, and love it...it's quite massive and definitely overkill for the 532nm module in it, but the shorter heatsink wouldn't hold it...If you're going to boost your way to 1.7A, I highly recommend the beefyest heatsink you can buy.

You'll get used to the cost. The majority of my builds have run >$175 each...ouch.
Just wait till you start killing diodes..that's when you really start questioning yourself!

Great idea about the safety glasses...I completely forgot to remind you of those...my bad.

AdamC

Haha, skimming through the threads I've read enough reminders that it kinda stuck in my head :p I'm pretty clumsy and have too many mirrors in my house, would be lying if I said I hadn't hit myself a few times with my 100mw 532 on accident >.>
I figured going to Jayrob would be a good idea for heatsinks since he makes them for the host I picked, and chose copper over aluminum. So far looks like I've got all parts ordered and found a quality battery someone linked in another thread, and got some thermal paste and adhesive around the house somewhere. total cost is at 172.77 so far including goggles, haha.
Hopefully I don't manage to kill this diode, definitely going to mock up a test load at work first, not looking to drop another 45 over a silly mistake :p
~175 for a 2W 445 isn't bad at all considering what it would cost to buy a high powered laser built elsewhere :p

Love your username, by the way. :)

Thanks so much. I think you've gotten a fair deal, indeed. Jay made me an amazing custom copper heatsink for me and I love it. You can see it and read about the build (1.9A Boosted DTR M-140 w/ 3.7V 18650) in the thread I made.

A test load is a fabulous idea, and if you go through my posts, you will find a thread by a member who makes really sexy test load kits for sale. I made one of my own w/ my daughter, but just had to buy his also. It was that cool.

Larry and Hak are booth great guys to buy batteries from. I don't know their stocks for sure, but I go to LarryDFW for my Panasonic 18650's and plan on using Hak for a 26650 build with his King Kong brand.

If you find you need someone with an LPM, there's a link to the thread in my signature.
Good luck on your build. I look forward to the build thread.

AdamC

Wow, thanks for the info! :) I'll search up that build of yours and remember those names for battery needs. Getting anxious waiting for parts! Haha

You're telling me...I just dropped $275 on new laser bits including one of Sinner's MS-SSWs!! And, I have several things already in the post.

Oy, the wait is tough. It's built a great deal of patience in me though.

AdamC

Oh wow, have fun with that one!

Few things already marked as shipped today, but unfortunately I believe my host or heatsink will be the last to arrive as the heatsink has to be custom made and the host is coming from china haha.

Patience is not one of my strong points so we'll see how long I can wait before getting too antsy.

That's ok. Here's how to spend your time:

Read every thread dealing with the M-140.

Get to know your optics better.

Watch a few videos on soldering technique. (in case you're rusty)

Make sure you have all of your bits:
Wire, Heat Shrink, Thermal Adhesive, Batteries, Charger, Clicky Switch Cap for your Lens, etc..

AdamC

Will do- I actually solder daily at work so it shouldn't be an issue!
Still need to get a charger and lens cap, that about covers everything then.

Gonna do a looooot of reading on 445 builds while waiting for parts :)

Go to the Ebay thread. On the last (or near to lat page), there is a post about a good, universal 3.7V charger from Illumination Supply. Many of us dropped the $18 after shipping to get one of these good chargers. Though, I could have just used my new PSU! :crackup:

Don't forget a focus ring to go on the lens. Jayrob makes those as well. I made my own, plus an extension tube for the C-6 host (see my pics in my album). Survivallaser sells those as well but for $20 (I think they are the only one's who have them readily available). A bit too much for me.
I made the same mistake ordering my host from China, then found out later on I could get the set-up from Survivallaser, (host and all), little bit more on the cost but not the wait. So now I have 2. Good luck with your build.
Paul

AdamC

I might end up with two hosts as well as I have all my parts except for the host and heatsink now. Waiting on Jayrob for the heatsink but might try and machine my own because I'm impatient. If the shipping time is that much quicker I'll get a host from SL Thursday then just have an extra when the DX one comes.
How much better does an extended focus ring make it? figured I'd just deal with the one that comes on the aixiz module and save some money

The focus knob is for a couple of reasons; First, to avoid burning your fingers, secondly, for aesthetic value.

Yes, you will definately want a focus adapter. I have several c6 builds, and it is difficult to focus with the laser on. Any adapter that lets you focus without your finger being right next to the beam is a good thing.