Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New: Heatsinks for "Classic" style host

Hey guys,

Rayfoss and Lazerer (maybe others, not sure), started selling this host:
www.rayfoss.com

DIY Empty CLASSIC Host for Laser Point ( Complete Set )

I started selling heatsinks for them.

Heatsink is made of two components:
P9250057.jpg

Driver part, and diode part. In the picture, they are oriented exactly as they would be if they were to be enclosed in the host.

Looks at it's butt:
P9250061.jpg

P9250059.jpg

You can see that here, you can fit your 17mm driver board (or contact board). Hole is not for the diode, it's for the wires that run to your diode, here:
P9250060.jpg

And on the other end, you pop in your lens.

Empty host with heatsink is:
P9250062.jpg

P9250065.jpg

Heatsink is $15 - FREE shipping worldwide.

Assembly instructions:

First you pressfit your diode into it's pocket, and solder your wires to it (about an inch will do). It's strongly reccomended you use the highly flexible silicon-insulated wire Moh and FP are selling here, 'cause it's going to be tight.

P9250075.jpg

Naturally, isolate the wires from eachother with heatshrink tubing:
P9250076.jpg

Now, put the driver part over the diode part, run your wiring through the hole.
P9250077.jpg

Now just solder the wires to your driver. Now, you put the driver part heatsink into the body of the host, and lay the diode part on it. Put the host's head over the entire heatsink assembly, and before you start to twist it, put some pressure from the front (on the lens or the heatsink itsef), to prevent the diode part from spinning, which will tear apart your diode's pins.

Now you should be done with the laser's head.

But not with entire assembly.
You need to construct a small board that will hold your switch:
P9250078.jpg

The board should be just a pinch less than 17.50 mm wide, because that's the width of the barrel where the switch will be located.

The center of the switch must be 10.0 mm from the closest end of the heatsink (the driver part, ofcourse).

From the switch, you have exactly 10.0 more milimeters to the battery. I reccomend putting using 15mm board and 5 mm long spring for the battery contact.
The battery barrel narrows near the switch and will not allow your battery to put unwanted pressure on your assembly.

Now about the tailcap with the key:
P9250087.jpg

You are supposed to pressfit this tiny aluminium part over the 14mm keyswitch:
P9250088.jpg

However, you still have not made the ground connection. When they keyswitch is ON, the two prongs are connected, however in no state is either one connected to the case.

You have to improvise a connection (i.e. you're pretty much on your own).
For this 635nm laser, I have stripped bare a multi strand wire, soldered one end of it to one of the prongs, and other end I've let to get caught in the threads between keyswitch and the tailcap itself.

On the other I've soldered a small spring to ensure good contact with my battery.

Now, for the focus ring:
Simply glue one Aixiz focus ring in the existing focus ring, the threading for the original host's lens assembly (which is promptly ignored and left out here) is wide enough for entire focus ring to fit. A drop of super glue, half hour later it's the host matching focus ring.

THAT'S it folks. Enjoy your new laser.

P9250093.jpg

P.S. If anything is unclear, ask away and I'll take more pictures to explain it.

LaZeRz

Nice tut!

I will +1 if the system lets me :)

Btw, I would advise against super glue due to risk of it fogging up your lens, i reckon epoxy would be better suited to this application

I know, that's why I said "Half hour" of waiting time, I have left mine for about that and it's apsolutely no problems. I think it's safe after 10 minutes but I just want to be super-sure.

Well, sure if you've got epoxy it's a better solution, I don't have any.

TLDT. Mostly for the fact that I k ow you did an outstanding job with your work and explanation with the assembly !

Plus I am at an amusement park and the service here is very bad. Anyway I wanted to mention I have some 2 part epoxy here I can send you :) and I wanted to say.. Good job!

Nope, thanks but I'm pretty sure DX has metric tonnes of the stuff for spare change. If I could only REMEMBER to pick up some when I'm deciding what to grab for $2 more to get another DX point.