Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NEW Group buy for Sony 16X dvd burner diodes...

Things

Re: NEW Group buy for Sony 16X dvd burner diodes..

may i just remind all of the people who came over here from that instructable, this is a laser DIODE, it is only about 5mm wide, and 6mm long!!! if you have no experience soldering, or with making electronic circuits, then you will find it very difficult to make this diode work! many of you probably think "i'll just hook it up to a battery, and it will work", that is not the case with these diodes, if you wire them directly to a battery, and put in new batteries, your diode would fry in a matter of milliseconds!!!not to mention how small the pins are that you have to solder!!i'm not trying to offend anyone, but laser diodes are VERY VERY VERY sensitive devices!and to actually get a laser beam, you have to colluminate the diode. that requires lenses and modules to put the diode into, many people are buying the axizis modules, as they will work. But for your sake, please do not wire the diodes directly to a battery, build a very simple driver circuit (like daedal's).
thanks

Things

just so you know, you will be getting something similar to this.

Attachments

• lasrd.jpg
    lasrd.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 121
S

SenKat

Okay folks, here is a mini-status....due to time zones, I connot give you ALL the information needed, since I am awaiting replies at present.

The initial order of 100 is secure, and safe from price fluctuations. Any that have ordered AFTER the initial 100 were paid for COULD face a price increase - I am negotiating with the vendor right now - There is a potential price increase of $6.00 EACH DIODE. I am trying to bargain him down lower, and waiting for his email back to me. If you have already paid, and want a refund after I find out the whole story - I will process your refunds in the order that they are received - but not before then. IF I find out that there is a price increase - I will post it in this thread, and find out from each of you (via email most likely) if you want to pay the increase, or get a refund. At any rate, even if they DO go up to $20.50 per diode, that is still less than a DVD drive. I am estimating that the price increase will not exceed $4.00 per diode though - that is what I am banking on sort of....that to me would be the worst case scenario. IT is all VERY much up in the air at this point - I just wanted to let everyone know. Hang tight, this hurdle will be overcome, as well.

Greg

Greg thanks for the update, nice and clear info there. have my support all the way bud.

Martin

*Edit* Its still a bargain at a higher price tbh as a dvd burner brought and the time to strip it and not break anything makes it a worthwhile buy even if it was the same price as a dvd burner.

xgeek

LOL looks like the vendor has cottoned on to the fact that there are a few new "Laser torch" guides out there on the net and demand has rocketed and they wanna piece of the action.

S

SenKat

The initial reply I received from him today was this : "My previous pricing was due to the fact that I am an engineer, not a salesman - I realized I could make more prift this way"

I DO gotta say one thing for him - even though he has raised the prices thus far EVERY time I have orderd from him, the product is impeccable, and he ships them out to me fast. Oh, if I wanted to pay via pay-pal instead of wire transfers, he would charge an additional $200 !!! GEESH ! I am not certain where he is getting his marketing advice from, but they need to STOP ! :p

Gazoo

SenKat,
I agree with you. But there is a point when it will be obvious he is getting greedy. Even though we know the individual diode can cost a heck of a lot more than say $20.00 for example. We will never know where he got them from and we don't care. But it is plain as day he was making a profit at the original GB price.

S

SenKat

Exactly - and to be PERFECTLY honest, I am making less than a dollar each, after shipping on these after all of his price hikes.

The pressure is now on for me to not screw up. I can't buy another one at $20 at $14 maybe...

chimo

Greg, any chances of getting a shorter wavelength diode, say 635nm? Even a lower power one would be great and the beam would be more visible.

Paul

Gazoo

Hey Paul,
I agree, it wouldn't hurt to ask around. If SenKat is up to it ;)

S

SenKat

GAH ! I cannot even get the few Group buys done right that I AM running ! LOL This guy is panned out - no other wavelengths that are shorter - he has some 780nm stuff, but I dont think too many have interest in those....

Gazoo

Well Greg, I think you are doing one hell of a great job with the GB's....everyone knows you are doing your best :)

I'm gonna read up on these diodes but I'm sending payment for one tomorrow most likely, is the wavelength of these a visible red? How much power do they need, as in what amperage and voltage should the supply be?

And what's the power? edit: hurr, 250mW, got it.

Does it produce lots of IR? Is it filtered or do I have to buy my own and fit it on when I make the laser?

How far is this diode from being a completed laser pointer such as one you'd buy off the shelf?

Does the diode need a circuit board to regulate current or does a battery connected to it work fine? Does it have a lens or do we need to buy one that fits it?

It's really late and I'm going to read up on this tomorrow and probably answer all of my own questions, but if someone happens upon it overnight and wants to answer that...:D

S

SenKat

Alias777 said:
I'm gonna read up on these diodes but I'm sending payment for one tomorrow most likely, is the wavelength of these a visible red? How much power do they need, as in what amperage and voltage should the supply be?

And what's the power? edit: hurr, 250mW, got it.

Does it produce lots of IR? Is it filtered or do I have to buy my own and fit it on when I make the laser? No - red diodes do NOT produce IR at all

How far is this diode from being a completed laser pointer such as one you'd buy off the shelf? It is as far from being a laser pointer as a pair of batteries that you buy off the shelf are !  This is only the diode itself

Does the diode need a circuit board to regulate current or does a battery connected to it work fine? Does it have a lens or do we need to buy one that fits it?  you need both a circuit, and a lense - buy the AIXIZ modules - they work perfectly for housing the diode, and focusing...there are circuits ALL over this forum in the experiments and mods section, too.  Also - back to your first question - there is a link to the spec sheet on these diodes in the first post - actually a link to the firt thread, but the link is in that thread.

It's really late and I'm going to read up on this tomorrow and probably answer all of my own questions, but if someone happens upon it overnight and wants to answer that...:D

PLEASE hold off on a payment until I find out the cement figure for this next batch - unless you want to extimate on my failure, and send $20.50 per diode ?  I think my powers of persuasion are better than that, so hang tight until I hear back from him tomorrow please ?

damit i missed out, my dad said wait till today to buy one i did and they are over dangit. oh well i guess its only a couple more dollers so ill wait till i find out the price.