Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New development in conversion crystals

Encap

Interesting stuff.

Report is that CBGO exhibits an extraordinary larger Second Harmonic Generation (SHG) response of about 13.7 times that of KDP (KH2PO4) under 1064 nm laser radiation + CBGO possesses a moderate birefringence (0.073 at 1064 nm) and is phase matchable. Furthermore, CBGO melts congruently and exhibits high thermal stability.

Wooooaaaattttt ??? Crystals of caesium bismuth germanate (CBGO), For " Man-Carry " class....Raw power is still the " Fly in da Ointment "....errr...meaning....the limiter !! MMMMmmmmm….Someday !! Pew, pew, pew !!! HAHAHAHAHA
Well...power and dirty optics are also a big problem...Hmmmm.

Hello dArpa boys...how ya doin ??? I know you're watch'in !!! Hmmm...Let's talk about Blinding Techniques...then have lunch !!!

CDBEAM

Last edited:
I always love to hear about new crystals, but saying they would finally make a laser weapon feasible is still in the wishful thinking column. I'll believe it when I see it.

Gadget

Yeah, Paul...sounds like the main issue impeding progress is thermal management.

-G

Encap

Application for small hand held lasers?

Good idea for someone to try!
If it is as good as the research says and cost within reason, I imagine it will become used in production lasers at some point.
Obtaining any CBGO crystals processed correctly to try it is the sticky point at the moment.

"research is at an early stage and that years of testing would be needed before the CBGO crystals found their way to market.
The CBGO crystal grown in the Fuzhou laboratory was the size of a grain of sand, he said. For industrial use, crystals would need to be at least the size of a dice. Growing them was a very slow and challenging job, and there was no certainty that CBGO crystals could be grown on an industrial scale,"
See: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/could-crystals-next-leap-forward-061028061.html

Last edited:
Sounds like crystals for general use is still a long ways off. Nice find, Encap.

Gents...The bottom line is and will be raw power...Portable Raw Power for any practical application to a Man-Carry weapons class.

Just around the corner are also issues with Optics Alignment, and Field Operations dealing with dust/dirt/mud/heat/cold and moisture. There is also the consideration of beam TOT (Time on Target ). Then there is cost of the weapon. There is the weight of the weapon. ALL this ...and the possibility of reflective armor being worn by the other side.

SOOoooo…" Pew, pew" weapons are NOT easy....But then....neither are most major technical advances. When the stakes are big enough....THAT is when " The Rubber hits the Road" ALL...IMNSHO

CDBEAM

reloader45

Hello,

interesting thoughts.

Some watts of green power would be enough for the friends of laser Pointers.

best regards

Edgar

Very Interesting indeed ! See this article ====>

So...In a nut...NEVER ignore " Vested Interest "

One of the most powerful groups in the USA is the NRA. And who keeps that organization $$$ funded ??? Mmmmm???
Ammunition Manufactures. Hmmm...Could be ! I am confident….They do NOT want " Pew, Pew, Pew " weapons.

Just like the Oil giants of the past in 1910...Electric cars....my ass...We got oil (gasoline) coming out our ears !
We got oil for centuries ( Peak Oil is a hoax )….and when the Electric car gain traction, we just lower the cost per Barrel of Oil.

Just consider the great GM Electric Car sorte….the EV1 !!! Obviously, GM did NOT check with the " Seven Sisters" first !!! Poof went the EV1

Trust nothing you read. Always follow the money !

For Man-carry.DEW..the basic problem still revolves around power. Where are those stink'in " DiLithium Crystals" when ya need'em ??

Raw power and conversion efficiency are the bottle neck.

Well, Off my Soap Box...for now. I also welcome a 5 Watt @ 532 LD !! Hurry Up !!!

CDBEAM