Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Argon Ion laser

diachi

3 Lines Again, can see the green better this time :)

Attachments

• Multiline5.jpg
    Multiline5.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 587

diachi

ben74 said:
Cool, whats the beams specs?

I don't know, I'm not sure exactly what tube is in it , all I know is that it is 60mW multi-line.

diachi

Oh right beam divergence, I'd say about 0.9mRad but I still need to measure it .

Nice! Does you power supply hook up to a normal outlet or is it a 3-phase?

ben74 said:
WoW thats sweet! and big.  

I just missed out on one, on ebay  :'(

Mind if I ask which one you tried to get on Ebay? I was looking at some yesterday.

diachi

Dr. Evil said:
Nice! Does you power supply hook up to a normal outlet or is it a 3-phase?

[quote author=ben74 link=1226090070/0#4 date=1226090576]WoW thats sweet! and big.

I just missed out on one, on ebay :'(

Mind if I ask which one you tried to get on Ebay? I was looking at some yesterday.[/quote]

It's normal single phase, but it came with a heavy duty OEM plug because it was from a DNA sequencer. I just changed the plug over to the standard UK type plug.

-Adam

diachi, this tube should do close to 200mW (at 10 or 11A) once you get it wired up for current control. Are you using light mode right now? Also, reflecting it off of a CD should show all 6 of your lines. Any idea on how many hours are on it?

If you need help with anything feel free to ask... I think between Dave and myself we could stock up a small university with these things ;D

diachi

GooeyGus said:
diachi, this tube should do close to 200mW (at 10 or 11A) once you get it wired up for current control. Are you using light mode right now? Also, reflecting it off of a CD should show all 6 of your lines. Any idea on how many hours are on it?

If you need help with anything feel free to ask... I think between Dave and myself we could stock up a small university with these things ;D

Yeah I'm running it in light control. How long would I be able to run it for at 10A tube current ? :p

It's the 457.9nm , 488nm and 514.5nm lines I'm getting I think.

Don't know how many hours are on it, I'll ask about that later.

-Adam

diachi

I'll try get current control working, and get a prism from school and see how many lines I can get then .

-Adam

On some tubes, all the lines wont show until the power is cranked up a bit. I have one line (a 7th line) that shows up at around 7 or 8A and then fades away as the power is turned up to 10A. I would attach some leads to your remote terminal so you can monitor the tube current with a DMM. I cant recall which pins exactly to use, but it is really good to know how high you have it turned. Sometimes light mode will only allow the tube to go up to its 'rated' power, and with a multiline the rated power can be reached at very low currents. For example, mine hits 40mW at like 6A. Another thing you may want to try in the future, is to apply very light pressure to the mirrors with an insulated stick (a piece of dowel or something) on the HR or OC end while the tube is lasing. If you see the power increase or you see more lines appear you will know that the mirrors are slightly out of alignment.

As far as how long you can run it at 10A, it depends on the cooling. The laser should shut itself off when it gets too hot. As with most electronics, heat is the killer here. If you have really really good cooling and your exhaust temps stay low you can run it at high current levels for a while. Many of the older Cyonics tubes were built like tanks. The cathodes were the same as the ones used in 5W models so the tubes can handle quite a bit, they just need the cooling. It just depends on what exact tube was put into your head :)

randomlugia said:
Anyone know if they work?

It's only theoretical. I really doubt this was their original application. He even says so himself:

Unsure what to call this thing

It could work, but not without a custom made driver for the thing and even then your blanking speed would not be very fast at all since it's a moving part. A wild guess would be 300Hz (as opposed to electrical blanking at 10KHz or optical blanking at 100KHz) and the colors would be wrong most of the time.... so it'd work about as well as an attempt at flying a 747 under a bridge.

An acousto-optic modulator is a more feasible solution.

GooeyGus said:
On some tubes, all the lines wont show until the power is cranked up a bit.

Yep, I have an eighth line (528nm) that pops up at 30A.

diachi

GooeyGus said:
On some tubes, all the lines wont show until the power is cranked up a bit. I have one line (a 7th line) that shows up at around 7 or 8A and then fades away as the power is turned up to 10A. I would attach some leads to your remote terminal so you can monitor the tube current with a DMM. I cant recall which pins exactly to use, but it is really good to know how high you have it turned. Sometimes light mode will only allow the tube to go up to its 'rated' power, and with a multiline the rated power can be reached at very low currents. For example, mine hits 40mW at like 6A. Another thing you may want to try in the future, is to apply very light pressure to the mirrors with an insulated stick (a piece of dowel or something) on the HR or OC end while the tube is lasing. If you see the power increase or you see more lines appear you will know that the mirrors are slightly out of alignment.

As far as how long you can run it at 10A, it depends on the cooling. The laser should shut itself off when it gets too hot. As with most electronics, heat is the killer here. If you have really really good cooling and your exhaust temps stay low you can run it at high current levels for a while. Many of the older Cyonics tubes were built like tanks. The cathodes were the same as the ones used in 5W models so the tubes can handle quite a bit, they just need the cooling. It just depends on what exact tube was put into your head :)

I need to get a working DMM, I also have manuals for the PSU so I can check the pins later. I think the other 3 lines will show up if I crank up the power too. For now I'ma leave it, since I'm having fun anyway :)

-Adam