Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New addition to my collection, 50 mW (107mW peak) DL Spartan 589nm

Does the tail clicky on the Spartan activate when you start to press it or when you release it?

In other words, does it have the capacity to be a momentary on like a pointer, or does it have to be clicked and then fully released to begin lasing?

No it does not have a momentary function, it must be fully clicked and released for on and off positions.

No it does not have a momentary function, it must be fully clicked and released for on and off positions.

Crap. :/

I've always loved the Spartan host, but I tend to actually use my pointers as pointers (in meetings or training for example).

I'd love to have the Spartan host, but it's hard to justify if I can't use it. :/

Crap. :/

I've always loved the Spartan host, but I tend to actually use my pointers as pointers (in meetings or training for example).

I'd love to have the Spartan host, but it's hard to justify if I can't use it. :/

Well if you are looking for the 589nm to be a pointer and you keep the duty cycles low, the Aurora will probably be good for you. I can't imagine you using the 50+mW Spartan as a pointer that is just way too bright, so I am assuming you would be looking at the 5mW Spartan. The Spartan host really is the best way to go for longevity, duty cycle and it is more protective for the fragile nature of this DPSS system, but at 5mW and low cycle times you should be fine with the Aurora. But if you are also looking for more than just pointing at 5mW than the Spartan is definitely more flexible since I'd imagine the duty cycles you could get out of that would be very good at just 5mW. The Spartan has pulled off more than 5 minutes of run time at the 50mW+ level with no problems so at 5mW your duty cycle would be awesome. :beer:

Thanks brother. I was actually creating a new thread on this as you were replying so as not to thread jack this awesome thread. :D

Thanks brother. I was actually creating a new thread on this as you were replying so as not to thread jack this awesome thread. :D

Yeah, I saw your new thread. :D You do bring up another great point, the battery. These things are very power hungry and I would imagine that even at 5mW, the power the pump diode needs is still quite high because of how inefficient it is to create DPSS 589nm. The Spartan with its 18650 is perfect for this kind of laser, definitely leaps and bounds better than the little CR2 that's in the Aurora. Maybe a machinist around these parts can make you a custom tail cap for the Spartan? Well, look forward to seeing your pics when you get yours after you make your decision! It really was love at first sight for me, there is just something about this 589nm that makes it absolutely stunning and to me it is worth every penny. I know you will love it! :beer:

Added a new picture. Photo in clear air of the 589nm and 30mW 532nm.

589532_zpscoduvwsn.jpg

Did you take this in total darkness and allow the camera to select shutter speed?

Did you take this in total darkness and allow the camera to select shutter speed?

Yes, total darkness using self-timer mode and automatic settings. I still have ways to go with experimenting with photographing lasers, my only experience is nature and wildlife photography. For me taking pictures of lasers is the hardest thing I have ever tried to photograph. I do want to get a fogger, as I am sure that will help quite a bit, as all my photos are in clear air. I have been playing around with different ISO settings and I take multiple photos and then pick which comes out the best. I am still far from happy with my results so far, but I will keep experimenting. Any tips I am all ears. I have even experimented with bulb mode too but haven't really ever gotten a good result so far.

You might try some outside, as this might make the surrounding area not the same color as your laser. I had to try several different settings and lighting to get just the right photo.

You might try some outside, as this might make the surrounding area not the same color as your laser. I had to try several different settings and lighting to get just the right photo.

Yeah that is definitely what I want to do next, I just get apprehensive with lasing outside, with all this negative publicity on our hobby. What I want to do most is I want to lase the sky and take a long exposure shot like that but that is the thing I am most hesitant to do. I have flightradar24 and always visually inspect the area of the sky I am going to lase but I still get nervous that I might draw too much attention to myself because some of these lasers really stand out in the sky here since I am in a fairly small town with not too much light pollution. I have never had anyone call me out on my laser use in the 20 years I have been in this hobby but it's that "first time for everything" scenario I fear. I will get some outdoor shots here soon, only thing now its getting real cold outside here at night so that plays against me too lol. :beer:

Yeah that is definitely what I want to do next, I just get apprehensive with lasing outside, with all this negative publicity on our hobby. What I want to do most is I want to lase the sky and take a long exposure shot like that but that is the thing I am most hesitant to do. I have flightradar24 and always visually inspect the area of the sky I am going to lase but I still get nervous that I might draw too much attention to myself because some of these lasers really stand out in the sky here since I am in a fairly small town with not too much light pollution. I have never had anyone call me out on my laser use in the 20 years I have been in this hobby but it's that "first time for everything" scenario I fear. I will get some outdoor shots here soon, only thing now its getting real cold outside here at night so that plays against me too lol. :beer:

You needn't worry as long as you are not near an airport, as anything flying over is so far away that the beam will be diverged out too much to cause problems. However, I'm sure there is some instance where someone will find an example where this does not apply. I've taken beam shots outside for years and nobody ever complained. ;)

You needn't worry as long as you are not near an airport, as anything flying over is so far away that the beam will be diverged out too much to cause problems. However, I'm sure there is some instance where someone will find an example where this does not apply. I've taken beam shots outside for years and nobody ever complained. ;)

I am nowhere near an airport and I know that at the flight level and speed of planes flying over my house that my lasers would not be an issue for them. Which they wouldn't anyway since I always check flightradar and due a visual check of the sky before I lase. What concerns me is that my neighbors or people driving by probably don't understand divergence of laser beams, altitude and flight speed of airplanes and all they see is some guy shining a laser into the sky. With the heat our ambulance chasing news media is bringing down on lasers right now I don't want to have any police called and then me having to defend myself. I doubt any of my neighbors would care, but its just the random troublemaker driving by that concerns me most. I am probably just overly paranoid and most likely no one would even care but I always like being safe than sorry. I know nothing would come of anything since there would be no plane that would be reporting being lased from my particular position, but I still would not want to ever have to deal with cops coming to talk to me lol.

People who are into astronomy use lasers as pointers in the sky all the time. I really don't think you have anything to worry about. I doubt people who are not familiar with lasers would become alarmed. Nor, would people who are familiar with them.