Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NejTech Evolution - a new BOOST driver - Nearly finished!

Re: NejTech Evolution - a new BOOST driver - preparing to build prototypes

Yeah it was apparently restored from a backup.

Johnyz

So umm anyway. Got my output MLCC's today and I finished the basic design for an adjustable version. But let's see how the fixed version prototype works first.

Yeah... but everything I learned that I absorbed is in the memory box, so it's alright that we lsot a page.

Johnyz

The boards should arrive this week. I already have all the parts. Can't wait to do this! :wave:

Watching with baited breath (I probably should stop eating those worms...)

:beer:

Johnyz

Darn, still not here. You wouldn't believe what dream I just had. I was looking through my mailbox for these boards, dug up at least a dozen bubble wraps and none of them was the boards...

Johnyz

Re: NejTech Evolution - a new BOOST driver - It lives!!! (sorta)

Well, guess what. Boards arrived, and it WORKS!!! With a discharged 22600, they give about 0.75A, and one peaked right at 1.2A.

How high can it boost?

with a 3.8V input, how much current can it pump out at 5.1V? Also, can you please take a scope plot of the turn on characteristics as well as the output ripple using the loading state provided at the start of my post?

Last edited:

Johnyz

Wolfman: The IC is made to boost whatever the LED asks. I saw it driving long LED strings in datasheet, so potentionally quite high.

random person: I don't have a lab psu nor an oscilloscope, so atm I can't do any of those tests, but I will be getting the lab psu soon. (~1 week).

Oh - so you don't know how effective of a boost driver it is. The problem is that a lot of these boost drivers CAN boost from, say, 3.7V to 6V, but only up to like 100mA or whatever. They are often limited. But we'll see.

rhd

I would be interested to know not so much how high it can boost in terms of voltage, but how high the current can go, presuming some amazing supply like a 20A capable LifePo4?

Like, if you gave it this:
K2 Energy 18650 1250mAh LifePO4 Rechargeable Battery | eBay
(a 3.2V LifePo4 18650, with a nominal V of 3.2V, and current discharge capabilities of 21A)

What current output could this boost driver provide? (presuming it was boosting to the Vf that corresponded to that particular current on the diode's IV curve)

Johnyz

That's the joke - National did not specify a current limit in the datasheet... The only max current that was specified was "Switch current limit", which was 2.8A MAX. I'll try to make the next prototypes with ferrite inductors, the current ones are using iron powder. However, ferrite inductors are larger, so I will need to use less than 10uH in order to make them fit.

Did you simulate this circuit on LTSpice or something equivalent?

Last edited:

Johnyz

Wolf: Nope, just idea > datasheet > eagle > real life

Kmor: See here: Magnetic core - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Iron powder
Powdered cores made of hydrogen reduced iron have higher permeability but lower Q. They are used mostly for electromagnetic interference filters and low-frequency chokes, mainly in switched-mode power supplies.

Ferrite
Ferrite ceramics are used for high-frequency applications. The ferrite materials can be engineered with a wide range of parameters. As ceramics, they are essentially insulators, which prevents eddy currents, although losses such as hysteresis losses can still occur.

As said before, ferrite core + high current + 10uH = large

Last edited: