Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Neg Rep Mob Mentality

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARG

Thing's I myself would like to see a definitive PUBLIC answer on is the position on canned messages in the welcome section (by ANY member.)

I tried to start that conversation in the past, but it ended up being a discussion targeted at one person.

Perhaps a locked poll would be better?

It's been noticed that some members "abuse" the rep system with people they don't like. This will not be tolerated. If tit for tat neg repping occurs then the perpetrator will be banned for 7 days.
If a member makes an obviously rude , offensive or otherwise unsavory post then that's up to to the person viewing it to decide whether it deserves a neg rep, but if you issue a neg rep just because you "dont like" that person then a temporary ban will be issued.

Now, with that paragraph I added LAST YEAR , when I noticed REP system abuse, there are a couple of choices..

We can either :- a) Ban all the members involved for rep system abuse for the time specified in the thread ,or..
b) agree to move on and NO MORE rep system abuse. No more digging up posts from 2010 just to neg rep, because you can't REP for the same post twice. If one of the people involved makes a post that you disagree with, you can rep away, but I will be following and if I deem the neg rep was undeserved, then a 7 day ban will be issued.

Opinions?

Yes, how do you define rep system abuse, as opposed to just the use of the rep system.

Is there a tracking of when a user sees a post for the first time, and whether he has rep to hand out at that time?

Sometimes you do come across older posts where a positive or negative rep is appropriate. (This is also subjective, as is the nature of feedback. What one rates as 5/5 service another may consider poor, and rate 3/5, neither is wrong unless the rating is subject to objective criteria. Reps are not objective.)

Only reps that should be considered completely inappropriate, imho, are those that cross the boundaries of regular posts as well. For example racism.

If we're going to have a policy on giving rep, I'd prefer to define it as narrowly as possible to avoid confusion.

For example my own neg reps left to Jerry were specific in relation to his posts, and the content contained therein.

Meanwhile his has nothing to do with my own post. Based on the rules... time for a 7 day ban for Jerry?

Last edited:

ped

I was talking from this moment on.

There will be no more neg reps for old posts, if you feel you absolutely must leave a neg rep for an old post then that's your perogative , but it may draw unwanted attention if the recipient complains to the mods.

We all know what we're talking about here, lets not pretend we don't .

And I'm all for a closed vote.

Regards

ARG

After that he'll come back and quietly delete the neg repped posts one by one. Who's to be the wiser?

No one except mods can delete the OP of threads, there will still be negs there.

Meanwhile his has nothing to do with my own post. Based on the rules... time for a 7 day ban for Jerry?

Same with the negative wolfman received. There would be a lot of temp bans right now if this rule was to be enforced at the moment, for everyone.

And I'm all for a closed vote.

Who should create that thread? Would probably best if it's a mod.

Last edited:
Wow, same exact paranoid neg rep for Wolfman! Now that I didn't spot.

About the threads, while you can't delete them, there is nothing to prevent him from changing them to make the comment irrelevant. Guess I'm a bit paranoid myself.

ped

Yeah agreed on most points, there is no perfect solution .

Ok here is how it's going to work, I'll close this thread for now while I get the other MOD's opinions in bl4ckh0le.

I'll reopen when decided, hopefully within 24hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.