Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need some Information!

Hey guys, i'm new to this whole green laser scene and need some help.

After stumbling around on the internet for a couple hours, i've been kinda leaning towards a X75 Compact Portable Laser from Nova Lasers. My main concern being new to this whole scene is the whole IR deal. Now all their lasers say they have one installed at 95.5%. What i would like to know is if this is a good company to buy from, if their IR filters are reliable and don't leak, if anyone has bought a laser from Nova before? Also if its not necessarily a great route to go, where would a beginner look to get a powerful (safe) laser. I don't want to get all technical and have to wear eye protection to block out IR waves, but i don't want to go blind ; / However i want a powerful enough laser to be able to pop balloons, and do some burning. All input is greatly appreciated!

I know i'm under 20 posts, but i'll try and post the link.

wwwDOTnovalasersDOTcom/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=85
replace the DOT's ;D

Yeah, Nova Lasers is a good company. Haven't bought from them personally, but many people on these forums have and they have a good rep ;)

Nova is a good company, and no doubt have well filtered lasers.  If you're buying a PGL-III type lasers (alpha series) they'll be really well filtered, with far less IR than even a 5mW NewWish.  I assume the X-series is also made to those standards as well.

IgorT

laffinggas said:
What i would like to know is if this is a good company to buy from, if their IR filters are reliable and don't leak, if anyone has bought a laser from Nova before?

Almost half the people here have bought lasers from Nova before, because they are one of the best companies. There are reviews of their lasers above and below your thread.

They don't manufacture the lasers themselves, but they test them, and only classify them as a certain power, if it is above that power. With an X-75 you can get close to 100mW of green. They list peak and average powers on the box, and if a laser ever goes bad, they make it up to you.

I have a 150mW version of the same model and it's peaking at 179mW, averaging at 168mW. It's the best laser i own. Before i had it, i was impressed with various cheap chinese lasers, some of which were supposed to have an even higher power, but now they look dull in comparison and are not built to last. The X series however is an amazing laser.

You're still gonna need eye protection with <100mW of power, if you point it at anything from up close (like when burning something).

Bionic-Badger said:
Nova is a good company, and no doubt have well filtered lasers. If you're buying a PGL-III type lasers (alpha series) they'll be really well filtered, with far less IR than even a 5mW NewWish. I assume the X-series is also made to those standards as well.

The X-series has a great IR filter inside. With these lasers, the IR is of no concern.

I also purchased one laser ( X125) from Nova last week, it was my first order from Nova, the laser was good in first days, but in 3 days the power went down quickly and never got high. I didint understand why this happened and sent back the laser to Nova, todat they will be recieving it. I dont know when they will send me the new one.

But generally people are glad about Nova Lasers. Maybe i am unlucky.

If you will buy a laser from Nova, do not forget to get a sport google ( it is very nice and you can use it outdoor as a sunglass ;D ) and a Mega Matrix.

Guess I'm unlucky too, as my X-175 did the same thing and after 11 days back in their hands I'm told this coming Monday a replacement is finally being shipped out to me, I've got my fingers crossed that the replacement will be much better.  :-/