Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need some advice on LaserBTB HL or PL

KMitch

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a more powerful 532 nm laser, and my budget is under $200. Right now, I'm considering either the HL 300mW ($161), or the PL 200mW ($145) from LaserBTB (see picture below). I've read a lot about the pros and cons for each, but I'd like to see what some of you think before I pull the trigger.

I know that the HL hosts are smaller and have less heatsinking, which is why I can get a 300mW HL for nearly the same price as the larger PL at 200 mW. Better heat sinking usually means better stability, but do you think the heat sinking on the smaller HL host is adequate for 300 mW? I also know that the HL is powered by one 16340 while the PL uses one 18650, meaning much better battery life on the PL. However, one member mentioned that LaserBTB can add an extension tube to the HL to accommodate the 18650.

Finally, I've seen LPM videos and reviews of the 300mW HL, and it seems to be putting out 400-500mW. Can I expect the PL to be similarly overspec? Overall, I prefer higher power, but not if the beam quality or duty cycle on the HL is much worse than the PL. In terms of duty cycle, "worse" means under 1 minute (though the website claims 5 minutes for the HL and 10 minutes for the PL).

Attachments

• 20111208180355468.jpg
    20111208180355468.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Hello KMitch,

I can't vouch myself for the PL series laser but can for the HL 532nm series. I have a 100mW model(HL) and absolutely love it. In fact, the host is quite small in the hand which is quite nice as you don't have to walk around carrying a hefty laser. The host is simply, elegant and has all the safety features which is quite a neat touch. For my particular model the host dosen't even get close to warm even after a 5min runtime, I would just follow the duty cycle posted on the laserbtb website as it seems pretty accurate. Been following it & haven't had any issues on any of my laserbtb units.

Hope this helps! :)

-Alex

To me, an extra 100mW for 16 bucks is a no-brainer, get the higher power. :yh: But then again if you prefer longer duty cycles, aesthetics, et cetera you may want to reconsider, you know what I would do. :beer:

Last edited:
I personally love my HL300, I bought it from a member couple months back. It peaks in the ~450mw range.

Extremely solid feeling host for the semi compact size. I put a comparison to a 501b and a S4. On this particular laser, im not a fan of having to use a 16340 but it is what it is. They're small and easy to carry so it's not that big of a deal to change them out.

As far as heating, I just checked their site and I actually didn't realize it has a 5 min duty cycle, good to know. I have always ran mine for less than 1 min at a time, and it has only started to get warm to the touch. But 5 minutes is pretty good, however I like this laser alot and plan to keep the run times low. For the price it's a great 532, and with some peaking in the 400mw-500mw range you definitely can't go wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20160831_041756.jpg
    IMG_20160831_041756.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 93
I'd go with the PL simply because it looks better. I have no actual experience or meaningful reason other than that.

KMitch

Thanks for the responses everyone. I agree that the PL host looks better and I love the extra weight, but it's unfortunate that the 300mW version is a big just in price over the 200mW version at $225. I won't buy for a week or so, and will check back to see if anyone else has an opinion, but from what I've ready so far it seems the HL will handle the power just fine.

keep in mind that with dpss lasers, the output power only represents a fraction of the pump diode's power. it's likely 1.5W or more

Reactions: GSS
300mW is quite a lot, and as Shakenawake said, the pump diode is probably around 2W, so there's potential for a lot of heat buildup. Lots of the HL models bought have been overspec in the past btw.

In terms of beam quality, there won't be any difference. In terms of duty cycle, keep it to 60-90 seconds on/off and it should be fine. If you want the laser to be on for longer, go for the PL version.

You can also ask Sky to install an IR filter for you, for a small extra fee. Personally I don't feel it's necessary, but that's a different question.

U should get the PL version, u get longer runtime as the HL version only runs on 1 16340 battery and it feels sturdier its worth the extra money.

Last edited: