Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Small Functional Red HeNe

Hey everyone. So I am coming along on that portable steampunk HeNe laser and all, which is great. Finally got a good PSU small enough for my needs, got a cool setup, but finally when I tested my tube with it, the tube would only light for about 15 seconds or so and then send the PSU into trigger mode, which is probably pretty bad for the little guy.

I think the issue is that, as the HeNe heats up, it requires more current than the PSU can supply - I think my PSU supply 3.5 or 4mA.

What I need from you gas fellas is 5-6 inch, partially exposed tube HeNe that will run indefinitely on 3.5-4mA. Mine works, but is a really old model and probably is starting to degrade.

Anyway, I'd love to hear if any of you guys know where I could grab one like that or if you have one to sell me! :D

Unfortunately, that's the one I grabbed. It's high-mileage which I expect is the problem!

I really don't want to have to risk detubing one of those. That's what I am scared about.

Hey Wolf let me check my hene stuff and see if I have a extra tube for you. I will look later tonight when get home.

Hey Wolf here's some pics. PM me if interested.

Attachments

• hene1.jpg
    hene1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 228
  • hene2.jpg
    hene2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 214
i have a nice little uniphase bare tube tube i would sell. it's 5 3/4" long, starts right up and in great condition.

Are any of those short, <6" tubers cathode-end output? That's what my ltitle raygun is designed for and it won't like anything else >.>

yeah it's cathode output. altho you do get some coherent photons from the hr, anode end.

edit: i pm'd you.

Last edited:
Madmacmo those are some awesome pictures. +1

Wolf I will fire the tube up and take a picture for you so can see if will work for you.

So it turns out that Cheech's cathode output laser isn't what I wanted. I was under the impression that there was more than half an inch of exposed plasma.

To be clear, I am looking for something with about half or more of the tube exposed so I can see the plasma emission.

Thanks guys.

sorry about the mix-up. i should have sent you a picture first. did you fire it up? it is a nice little bare tube altho the cathode can takes up most of the insides.