Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

need more power! help!

ok so i'm getting bored with building these handheld lasers.
i need something more powerful, wavelength doesn't matter, can be red green blue yellow or ir...
i'm wanting something cheap, and powerful

i was thinking maybe c-mount diodes?
ebay has 3watt diode for $60

although i am sure sure about what the normal price for these things are. some suggestions would be appreciated :)

and i think i REALLY will buy some goggles this time

Mohrenberg said:
[quote author=lasersbee link=1232822310/0#1 date=1232823513]This would keep you occupied for a while...........

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1225506764/1#1

and you better get goggles... or you'll blow a hole out the back of your head... ::)

Jerry

ooohhhhh i want one.....no, i NEED one![/quote]

The last time I checked... he only had 7 of those Co2 Lasers left... after that there
will be no more.... Period... ;)

Jerry

Let's see ... An ebay c-mount of some sort, preferably 808nm as it is somewhat visible, some current regulator disks from DX that total the required drive current, an 18650 lithium, a lens, and one of the upcoming c-mount hosts from Kenom, you'd have a nice handheld power burner for sure !!! Don't forget OD4 or better goggles ! (oemlasers.com perhaps) The CO2 laser is nice, but a handheld IR burner or two is always a nice addition to the laser collection.

lasersbee said:
you better get goggles... or you'll blow a hole out the back of your head... ::)

Here's some more information on that:

-Mark

Attachments

• safety_issues.png
    safety_issues.png
    10 KB · Views: 152
I have seen c-mount diodes here and there but what are they just wondering if some one could give a link or a description, just something to further my knowledge

thanks

Ace82

haha, we all need more power right? Why, and what for, is the question. :-?

iknitsteel - C-mount refers to the mount that the laser die is on. In this case, a small usually gold-colored rectangle that measures roughly 6mm x 8mm by 2mm thick. The body is normally the positive, the little flaplead is the negative connection. There isn't really an aixiz syle readily available housing for these, so until kenom releases his c-mount barrels for sale, you need a lathe to machine a housing and lens assembly if you wish to experiment with c-mount. I think that there will be a lot of interest in c-mount when kenom's laser barrels for c-mount become available. C-mounts are normally IR, but there are visible red c-mounts popping up on ebay all the time now.

Picture attached shows some typical c-mounts.

Attachments

• Jan2609D200_003_1.jpg
    Jan2609D200_003_1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 85
Thanks for the info billg519 I was interested when Mohrenberg said that he saw a 3 watt on ebay for $60 that sounds like a good to me :D I guess I will have to do some more research and mayby get in to this c-mount stuff

Thanks

billg519 said:
iknitsteel - C-mount refers to the mount that the laser die is on. In this case, a small usually gold-colored rectangle that measures roughly 6mm x 8mm by 2mm thick. The body is normally the positive, the little flaplead is the negative connection. There isn't really an aixiz syle readily available housing for these, so until kenom releases his c-mount barrels for sale, you need a lathe to machine a housing and lens assembly if you wish to experiment with c-mount. I think that there will be a lot of interest in c-mount when kenom's laser barrels for c-mount become available. C-mounts are normally IR, but there are visible red c-mounts popping up on ebay all the time now.

Picture attached shows some typical c-mounts.

Also, from what I've seen, pen-sized red lasers use C-mount diodes. Light comes out of the side, so it's rather hard just to glue it onto the Axiz modules...

randomlugia :

As far as red lasers in c-mount go, must be quite a pen. The c-mount reds I've seen are 635nm in powers greater than 150mw, and the 650nm 500mw and 1w units. All are fairly expensive.

You'll also find a lot of pen style green with one of these in it, held in place by a ring or nut, sometimes even just glue.
Essentially it is an open can diode, 10mm round copper base 3mm thick gives good heatsinking. This one is a 2w 808nm. Shown with a c-mount for size comparison.

C-mounts and aixiz housings simply don't mix, unfortunately.

iknitsteel :

I've seen that diode on ebay, too. I haven't bought one, though. Isn't this the one where the vendor is not sure of the exact wavelength? Be a good burner, anyway ...

Attachments

• Jan2709D200_007_1.jpg
    Jan2709D200_007_1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 87