Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need info on red power levels, typical costs

Hi, I'm working on a paper for SAE G10. I tried to do some research online but I found ridiculous things such as a "5000000 mw" hand-held laser for $169.

My question is: for each of the wavelengths below, what are the typical power levels commonly available, and the cost range:

635 nm
650-660 nm
670 nm

Just to give an example, something like "635 nm consumer laser pointers are generally 1-50 mW, at a cost of USD $1-50"

I'm looking for general info of what ordinary persons might find in shops and online. Not outliers or custom mods. Oh, and these are pointers and not modules/power supplies.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

-- Patrick Murphy, ILDA

diachi

Well, in stores at least I don't imagine you'll find anything >5mW in the US... Online, there's going to be quite a bit of variance there with all of the cheap Chinese pointers floating around.

I'm guessing 50-150 mw in the laser diode pointers which use CDROM laser diodes, anyone sampled the offerings from China lately?

I understand that in U.S. stores, most red lasers will be FDA compliant. But on the internet, ordering from companies that will ship to the U.S., what might the typical powers and costs of red laser pointers (not modules) be?

As I say, I went to research this myself but there are so many wild claims that I figured people on this forum would have a good idea.

Thanks again for any help.

Search ebay for '638 nm laser pointer" and you will see some offerings, they say under 5 mw, but if you look at the current rating that gives a clue of what the unit might put out, if accurate, which is a huge IF when it comes to any laser device listed from China sellers on ebay. For example, if 500 ma current they are probably using a CDROM laser diode and probably well under 200 mw.

Last edited:
The cheap red laser pointers available online are typically between 5 mW and 50 mW from my experience. By cheap, I am talking about <$4.00 small AAA pointers. As you increase the cost, the variability or power output can go up to the 200 mW level. But, this is not something you can count on if you purchase online. So, in more expensive red wavelengths, it is the luck of the draw.

pmurxxxx ---

You specify power AND wavelengths. Most cheap sellers don't
know what nM means and have no way to verify the lie -- oops,
I mean offering. Good Luck
HM

Agreed, nine times out of ten when I ask a China seller what the power output is they don't know, then I started asking which diode the pointer uses to try to figure it out that way, they don't know that either.

Good guess! However, this particular report is for a different SAE G10 committee, G10-OL for "Operational Lasers". The OL committee is more concerned with pilots understanding the laser visual interference hazard, knowing what to do if illuminated, and knowing if and when to use Laser Glare Protection eyewear or windscreen solutions. (The G10-T Laser Safety Hazards Committee also is for laser users, to help them avoid aircraft, and to set policies for things like ground-to-satellite and satellite-to-ground laser communications.)

The G10-OL report is called "Guidance on Mitigation Strategies Against Laser Illumination Effects. In it there is a table which lists common laser pointers and handhelds, and their color, wavelength, and approximate cost. I've got green and blue covered but need to fill this in for red.

That's why i am trying to find out, for red laser pointers, what the typical power levels are (not the absolute highest powers available) and the typical price range (not the most costly). Thanks again for any help.